Search

Happy New Year from Alex Cruz

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Happy New Year from Alex Cruz

Email just in:

Dear rossmacd,

I'm writing to thank you for your continued custom in 2017. Your business is incredibly important to us and we don't take it for granted. We have learned some lessons in this past year and where we have fallen short, we have listened and are putting things right.

British Airways is and always will be a premium airline and we are investing £4.5bn over the next 5 years to give you the best flying experience possible. One example of this is our transformation of the dining and bedding in our Club World cabins. This has started on services to and from New York and will roll out across all routes in the coming year. We are also committed to improving your experience on the ground and have opened a series of new lounges including Gatwick and Boston, opened our First Wing at T5 and introduced premium car transfers between terminals at Heathrow.

We know how important it is to you to get away on time and, in the course of last year, we have strengthened our position as the most punctual of the three-big short-haul carriers flying from London. Additionally our baggage performance in 2017 was at its best level for a decade.

We are also committed to giving you choice by offering more low fares than ever before. Additionally this month we will be introducing improved catering in our long-haul World Traveller cabin, and we plan to install at-seat power points in all cabins as well as the best wifi in the sky.

This year, we will be taking delivery of 18 new aircraft, including our first Airbus A320 and A321 'NEOs' with their significantly improved environmental performance.

We will also be operating our biggest-ever route network, with new long-haul services launching to Nashville and the Seychelles. On short-haul, we will be adding the Greek island of Kefalonia to our network - with twice-weekly flights between May and October from Heathrow. Our new summer routes, which also include Figari in Corsica and Almeria, mean we will be flying 39 more routes in 2018 than we did in 2016. And that is without including our new slots at Gatwick. We look forward to choosing which destinations to fly them to, and we will let you know as soon as we can.

So, there is a great deal to look forward to for all of us.

Once again, thank you for your valued custom, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon and I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year.

Kind regards

Alex Cruz
Chairman and CEO
There it is again....."premium" airline.....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
New Year email from Alex Cruz

Anyone else received the "mea culpa" email from Alex Cruz?

"I'm writing to thank you for your continued custom in 2017. Your business is incredibly important to us and we don't take it for granted. We have learned some lessons in this past year and where we have fallen short, we have listened and are putting things right.

British Airways is and always will be a premium airline.... etc..."

An interesting tone and it would be good to see if he's really listening or just thinks that he should tell us that he is...
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Email just in:

There it is again....."premium" airline.....
At least he stopped talking about how amazing BOB is.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Thanks Mr Cruz But You’re Late With The News. You Should Read BA FT

Just had the below email drop into my inbox. Got excited and thought Mr C was writing to make it up to me because I missed the last double Avios promotion and Christmas Avios bonus, but alas, no, just old news that I already know about due to reading all about it on this forum 😬.

Maybe they should just send out emails with a link to this forum 😬.

I did notice in the email that he omitted to mention the reduced legroom, extra rows and non-reclining seats on the A320/321 NEOs.

Dear Mr Saltire74

I'm writing to thank you for your continued custom in 2017. Your business is incredibly important to us and we don't take it for granted. We have learned some lessons in this past year and where we have fallen short, we have listened and are putting things right.

British Airways is and always will be a premium airline and we are investing £4.5bn over the next 5 years to give you the best flying experience possible. One example of this is our transformation of the dining and bedding in our Club World cabins. This has started on services to and from New York and will roll out across all routes in the coming year. We are also committed to improving your experience on the ground and have opened a series of new lounges including Gatwick and Boston, opened our First Wing at T5 and introduced premium car transfers between terminals at Heathrow.

We know how important it is to you to get away on time and, in the course of last year, we have strengthened our position as the most punctual of the three-big short-haul carriers flying from London. Additionally our baggage performance in 2017 was at its best level for a decade.

We are also committed to giving you choice by offering more low fares than ever before. Additionally this month we will be introducing improved catering in our long-haul World Traveller cabin, and we plan to install at-seat power points in all cabins as well as the best wifi in the sky.

This year, we will be taking delivery of 18 new aircraft, including our first Airbus A320 and A321 'NEOs' with their significantly improved environmental performance.

We will also be operating our biggest-ever route network, with new long-haul services launching to Nashville and the Seychelles. On short-haul, we will be adding the Greek island of Kefalonia to our network - with twice-weekly flights between May and October from Heathrow. Our new summer routes, which also include Figari in Corsica and Almeria, mean we will be flying 39 more routes in 2018 than we did in 2016. And that is without including our new slots at Gatwick. We look forward to choosing which destinations to fly them to, and we will let you know as soon as we can.

Once again, thank you for your valued custom, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon and I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year.

Kind regards

Alex Cruz
Chairman and CEO
Safe & Happy TravelsS
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Yes I got it as a blue just now so it must be for every Executive Club member. I was initially thinking it was only for the Golds!
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
I just received it. Nothing surprising, apart from the continued claim to be - and continuing to be - a premium airline. And that's not really a surprise. Does anyone know how often - and in which cabins - Senor Cruz flies on BA?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I didn‘t get it (yet?), but it‘s ok. Too many rants on twitter. 😀
Markie and Porky Speedpig like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I felt so valued that he chose to email me, now I find it is a mass mailing
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Too little, too late.
stevie and BA.MF.CSM like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Overall, I think it is good that AC is communicating with BAEC members - he is obviously concerned with the NPS scores that must have come as a bit of a shock to him (not to many on here). I like to see him admit that BA have dropped the ball this year with some very specific poor operational periods, but I hope that lessons indeed have been learnt. Recent weather events show that BA is learning (proactive cancellations), but has a long way to go with structured IRROPs management of displaced passengers.

Also good to see that he is committing to rolling out the new LHR-JFK catering proposition across all routes (even Gatwick?).

Unfortunately, no news yet for a new J seat. I am hoping that BA can make a step-change here to re-establish themselves in the J market. If a new seat and soft product can coexist, then I am hopeful it can be a strong contender versus the competition.

But please, please stop telling us BA is a premium airline - it does nothing for improving BA's image - it just sounds desperate. The customers will decide for themselves if the offering by the airline is premium or not.
dinbangkok, Worcester and Pelu like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
By BA marketing standards, it was a relatively humble and direct message. It's one step in the right direction towards a more authentic communications style that I've thought for years would better serve them (e.g. being more realistic and honest rather than pretending that everything they deliver is perfect).

I say one step in the right direction because "We have learned some lessons in this past year and where we have fallen short, we have listened and are putting things right." and "We look forward to choosing which destinations to fly them to, and we will let you know as soon as we can." were the type of messaging that feels reasonably authentic to me.

If there's one time a year when a company should send an email like this, it is now. BA have made quite a few legitimate improvements over the past year (far more than I think any of us expected 12 months ago), and it's worth highlighting those once in a while.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This thankfully went straight into my 'junk' email. My IT people have regained a little bit of credibility by my book.

The message doesn't bother me particularly, but it doesn't bring me anything either, and there is always an inbuilt paradox I find disturbing when people want to ‘talk’ to you to tell you to tell you they are ‘listening’ to you. Unidirectional communication is effectively the conceptual opposite of reciprocal communication.
Generally, I hate it when people try to tell me what I am supposed to think, I want actions, not self-congratulatory words.
BA235, dylanks, Pelu and 1 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:33 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74

Maybe they should just send out emails with a link to this forum ��.

I did notice in the email that he omitted to mention the reduced legroom, extra rows and non-reclining seats on the A320/321 NEOs.

Alex Cruz
Chairman and CEO

Yes - much to look forward to ; including in particular the new densified LCC-style seating which - as you observe - was somehow omitted from the email. Perhaps because it didn’t blend too well with the customary reference to BA being a ‘premium airline’ ..... ?

Maybe - amidst the genuinely good changes - some sort of explanation for the ongoing snail-like pace of rollout of new CW bedding & catering might have been appropriate ? Along the lines of ...... “ My personal apologies ; it’s just taking us a little longer than expected to identify necessary cut-backs, prior to actual implementation” .
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Too late, Alex. It's ABBA for me now. Looking forward to my all-AA jolly to Hawaii coming up this weekend
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Oh dear. That's a jpeg signature. No one would possibly use that to create spoof communications I guess...

If you have to tell people it's premium, it's not premium. First rule of Premium Club there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.