Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:29 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
AUH - after gate security check gate lounge split into two by tensa barriers. Group 1 & 2 to the right, groups 3, 4 and 5 to the left.

Families with infants and young children called first which seemed interpreted as any group with children under 12 boarding from the group 3, 4 and 5 side of the lounge with any families on the 1 & 2 side having to duck under the barriers to get to the other side and board.

Then group 1 called to board from the right hand side, after first few group 1 passengers boarded, simultaneous boarding commenced on both sides of the lounge for everyone.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA 987 (19 APR) TXL-LHR
Boarded groups 1-3 at the very same time. Signs pointed priority passengers to left of desks, they boarded passengers from both sides. Passenger in front of me was Group 5 and was not with someone else, walked straight on. Gate area is a mess anyway, some discipline would help.
This flight's score: 1 point out of 10
Running average: 1.5 out of 10
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Poor performance today at LHR Gate A21. Group 1 was called and 30 seconds later Groups 1-3. Group boarding is quite pointless like that.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
A bit of a shambles to board to OTP at Gate 7 yesterday.

Only one entrance to the area, which was blocked with people. The Group 1-2 was pointing away from the entrance. A staff member checked everyone, but once the line for 3-5 stretch back to the entrance, she stopped. I mentioned I was in Group 1 and managed to get through, but not great. I gave some gentle customer feedback....
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Gate A8 to DUB today after a correct announcement explaining the groups boarding process they asked for volunteers to check in trolleys as the plane was full.
While tagging trolleys they actually were boarding several people before group1, Then total chaos as all groups boarded...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
As I was departing from gate A10 yesterday I was able to over hear the announcement for the adjacent flight to ARN.

"Group 1 & 2" followed about 10 seconds later by "All remaining passengers". Admittedly, I don't know how full the flight was, but it does seem as though the ground staff are starting to slip a bit.

Can't really comment on my own flight to FRA as there wasn't any queueing at all - so I was able to walk straight on to the bus as soon as they called group 1. If only it can be that relaxed every flight...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Blue Barriers at Gate

EDIT ...
LHR T5 ... Gate Agent at A7 , checking boarding passes and passports at entrance to new blue barrier area. And directing people into Correct group line. Group 2 line full, so asked them to wait outside blue cordoned of area. No further passport check.

Last edited by deboyzoned; Apr 23, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Varies
STN-TXL yesterday. I was in group 2 (silver), OH was in 5. Arrived very shortly after the start of boarding to find 2 unmarked lanes, one empty, one with a fairly long queue. Boarding was being managed by just one member of staff and she looked busy so we decided to join the single queue. No announcements were made after we arrived. A couple of passengers successfully used the other lane while we were waiting, but others in our queue looked confused . One person in front of us who had queued patiently must have queried the boarding process, because I heard the gate agent telling him he could have used the other lane.

It turned out that everyone in front of us had been held in a bus, so we would have gained no advantage in using the empty lane. But a sign (or further announcements) might have made the process less confusing, and might have helped high-group people behind us in the queue who would have ended up on the second bus.

​​​
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:38 pm

Totally pointless having group 2 if the boarding lane is plugged up with group 3 customers like today at gate A10. The staff clearly don’t care to implement the rules given the brush off to my comment. Still, they went through the motions and called group 2 twenty seconds before group 3.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
B34 to AUH. Calls made for mobility restricted and children under 2. People then started going through the gates so I stood and joined into the group 1 line. Still no calls made. Group 2 then called as I was stepping onto the escalator and people were still in the group 1 line (I don’t know if they were group 1). I gave Feedback of incorrect boarding procedures used via .com. Assumes BA care whether or not the correct boarding procedure is used, which they may not as long as it’s an on-time departure.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:25 am

I’m yet to (on the 10 or so sectors ive done this year) see group 4 and 5 split up, even when 1.2.3 are separate (which feels fairly pointless given how few people are in 1 and 2 on most of the flights I take)

Id be much less inclined to book HBO fares if the ‘board last’ was rigorously enforced as I hate having to check my carry on at the gate.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Gate A1 last week flight to IST, Group 1 called but simultaneous boarding of all three lanes.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Funchal FNC Saturday afternoon - aircraft delayed inbound by 2 hours+ due wind and diversion to Porto Santo. Flight was called first to gate 9 (Schengen) - but once we Funchal first-timers realised this was probably just to get people downstairs we went back up onto the terrace to watch the landing - uneventful phew...

Once through passport check we arrive at the actual gate at the back of a plane-load worth of queue - no-one being boarded but only a very few taking a seat. We dare to approach the "priority boarding" sign, which is next to the groups 4-5 lane, and then slip apologetically through to the other side of the queue to the empty groups 1-2-3 lane. Announcements may have already been made and someone is now being boarded so hubby says "bye-bye" to me as he's group 1 and me 3...I say "but it says 1-2-3!" and sure enough I am allowed to board with no delay...

Was just glad the a/c was not heading back towards Gatwick tbh.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

EDI @ Gate 4 - 2 lines, Gp 1, 2 and 3 and a sign, separate lane for 4 & 5.

Strict enforcement and Gp1 called on it's own, then Gp 2 on it's own. I then lost track of the rest of it.

LHR - Gate 9 - Gp 1 lane empty, 2 and 3 moving forward as straight through.

GOT - Gold, SIlver and Bronze called with no mention of group numbers. It was a very quiet flight anyhow, probably about a 20% load at most.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Yesterday, that is Tuesday, on the BA1426 to BHD, gate A1 pre boarders called, no one.
Everyone told that it would be by group number and to remain seated, everyone did.
Group 1 called and those people walked forward.
I prepared for group 2 and got up when it was called.
I have never seen such an orderly process.
Just, still, why, b a, do you have 5 groups and only have lanes for 1, 2&3, 4&5 (or sometimes 1&2&3, 4&5). If everyone does remain seated, one lane works. If not, having 2 groups in one lane is just daft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.