Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

MUN is in Venezuela, not in Germany...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Out station interpretation of the Group Boarding process is pretty shoddy at best.

LUX-LHR last weekend, they called group 1-3 which caused quite a skirmish (I think the mob mentality even meant that 4 & 5 were also piling in) and as it was a B2B I witnessed the carnage first hand (albeit sitting back waiting until last to stroll on to my 1A seat that I'd left 20 minutes earlier)

MUN-LHR on Saturday evening was another mess, a huge queue formed at the gate even when told to take a seat, and when Group 1 was called the queue just surged forward and crowded out the desk area. I'd always thought Germans liked queuing more than the English ?!?
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
MUN is in Venezuela, not in Germany...
Presume he means MUC / Munich.

With regard to the Germans liking queueing while i'd generally agree this seems to evaporate when it comes to boarding a plane( in my experience anyway). Often all around Deutschland I've found myself wondering why they dont have apply for the 6 Nations as they, often, seem to love a good scrum at the gate.
bhbloke likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
BA1386 LHR-MAN today (Gate A7)

Well organised, good signage, proactive BP check - one lady in G1 line sent away to G4

Auto gates switched on promptly but then I got bounced for being in an exit row - no issue though, sorted in seconds and still within the first 10 to board...

Good job today, BA !
BA1399 MAN-LHR (Gate 142)

After speeding through Security (very quiet, friendly staff) , I spent a couple of hours in the (very nice) Terraces lounge, then headed down to the gate as soon as it was shown on the app.

The gate is off a fairly narrow corridor so tensa lanes had been set up for G1-3 and G4-5. Boarding call was made for G1-3 but interestingly enough, not for families with small children. I was the 3rd person to board so didn't see the rest of the process, but in the end we departed early...

So overall experience into and out of MAN v.good
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Presume he means MUC / Munich.

With regard to the Germans liking queueing while i'd generally agree this seems to evaporate when it comes to boarding a plane( in my experience anyway). Often all around Deutschland I've found myself wondering why they dont have apply for the 6 Nations as they, often, seem to love a good scrum at the gate.
LOL yes ! For those who think Germans have no sense of humour, I give you the (ironically used) term Warteschlangedisziplin
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
LGW - MAH - plenty of gate lice but all went well, GP1 called first.

I almost made a bit of prat of myself as the other half behind me said but I'm GP4, I said no your not come on. She was but it was fine. I thought they would have sorted that out by now
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
LGW-MLA

Had my first bad experience of boarding last week LGW - MLA. All boarding cards and passports were checked going into the gate (with a priority lane for CE and Gold and Silver passengers). When the announcement to board came we were told it would be boarding by groups. The door was opened and Group 1 was invited to come forward but as the attendant had them walked away leaving no-one to verify Group numbers it was, of course, a free for all.

Coming back from MLA to GTW it was slightly better but Groups 1-3 were all called at the same time.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
EDI is very inconsistent. I was at at Group 1,2,3 line tonight at EDI and you have to wonder what the point is. Typically they call Group 1, but the Bronzes started queuing and there were more than 30 people in front of me. By the time I got to 2F there was no locker space within 2 rows of my seat.

Why did I pay all of that money for a CE seat?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by JP Flyer
EDI is very inconsistent. I was at at Group 1,2,3 line tonight at EDI and you have to wonder what the point is. Typically they call Group 1, but the Bronzes started queuing and there were more than 30 people in front of me. By the time I got to 2F there was no locker space within 2 rows of my seat.

Why did I pay all of that money for a CE seat?
imreally dnt get why people don't want to put their luggage above them. Is it because they want to walk the aircraft empty hands and then pull their case down at the front from a virtually empty locker? Is that really the advantage they selfishly want which results in people having to sit out of turn and wait to go back up the aircraft to get their luggage right at the end?
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Yestrday morning LGW-EDI. No tensa-barriers of course; no boarding by Group but "will passengers sitting in rows 15 to [larger number] please board first. Everyone in Group 1 who were at the front of the queue, tutted, looked each other and boarded anyway. We weren't close to take-off time so I have no idea why they did that.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
OSL giving zero care this morning. No priorities for less able/youngsters and priority boarding generalised with no group calls (I saw the signs behind the desk, so staff had chosen not to use them). Poor show.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
OSL giving zero care this morning. No priorities for less able/youngsters and priority boarding generalised with no group calls (I saw the signs behind the desk, so staff had chosen not to use them). Poor show.
Scandinavia trying to lead on equality?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
My recent LHR to NCL flight was a decent effort for group boarding.

I was group 2, waited until it was called before standing up and advancing.

Most people on lower groups were already lined up and waited patiently but there were several G4 chancers in the G1/2 line who wandered on anyway.

Perhaps it's a judgement from the gate staff. If the numbers in each group look roughly about right, there's little point in intervening. If everyone is piling on in one big line, it might be best to step in.

The BPs are scanned by machine and don't care which group you're in, so if you manage to get in the queue you'll be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
LGW-JER, on Saturday 20th July.

No group boarding or priority boarding. Just a very long line indeed
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Gatwick to Limoges 16 AUG 18
Gate 24

Group 1 and 2 invited to board at once, so despite being in Seat 1A I am about 20th to board, also delayed as the agent had an I depth conversation with the person in front of me about his Blackberry phone.

Banged my head three times against the cupboard in mock frustration...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Gatwick to Limoges 16 AUG 18
Gate 24

Group 1 and 2 invited to board at once, so despite being in Seat 1A I am about 20th to board, also delayed as the agent had an I depth conversation with the person in front of me about his Blackberry phone.

Banged my head three times against the cupboard in mock frustration...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.