Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Points & Miles' Avios earnings on Hilton Honors stays ends 2 April 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

No more 10k Avios promotions then...

That‘s sad news...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Ah, bummer.
It wasn't that much, but for someone living in a country where there are no real alternatives to fly in order to earn avios...
florens and Markie like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Damn! It was quite a good Avios earner on our long stays in the USA, and assorted transit hotels.

Oh, well, goodbye Hilton loyalty. No reason to book them now.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Ah as lowly Honors silver member, the few avios I did get helped top up my account, looks like I won’t be using Hilton much anymore. That’s a shame, I was a fan.
florens and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
So if Hilton are no longer so directly linked to Avios, will the GGL -> Hilton Diamond relationship continue to exist in the longer term or will it go away?

GGL -> Hilton Diamond -> lots of Hilton stays because of the Diamond benefits -> more Avios -> more BA loyalty -> GGL is a nice flywheel, which Hilton will damage by this change.

Hilton points can, of course, be converted to Avios, but that is neither as good value nor as direct a link as the directly Avios-earning Hilton stay.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think this is a mistake from Hilton but hey ho, they must have their reasons. I did tend to book Hilton’s more when they had their triple Avios offers on, perhaps their package is less persuasive to me personally now.
rockflyertalk and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Apparently less than 1% of Honors members used the 'Points&Miles' option. - what they might have overlooked was that this might have been the most valuable/highest spenders/most frequent guests, but hey ho....
florens, rockflyertalk and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I never used the points and miles option, as I worked out the points and points option was better value, at least for me.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to clarify, Points and Miles may be going, but it will remain possible to exchange points for Avios. The rate is 1000 Honors points = 100 Avios. If the total number of earnt points goes up significantly, then it may be swings and roundabouts, at least for Diamonds. Moreover trying to use points effectively these days isn't that easy.

Hilton Honors Updates for 2018 | FAQ
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There is also an ongoing discussion in the Hilton FlyerTalk Forum here:

Even More New Hilton Honors Benefits in 2018
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My Hilton stays have been few as it's not a brand I'm all that fond of....even when I did have ill-gotten status with them. I certainly wouldn't go booking with them just for Avios.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by flatlander
GGL -> Hilton Diamond -> lots of Hilton stays because of the Diamond benefits -> more Avios -> more BA loyalty -> GGL is a nice flywheel, which Hilton will damage by this change.
I too stayed at Hilton because of GGL Benefit - Hilton Diamond Status and appreciated all the times I have been upgraded and the quality of service. If this goes ... I will miss it. I am not so concerned with the Avios although the promotions were appreciated ... especially last year ..... 10K Avios Promotions for stays in Prague, San Francisco, Tallinn, Hawaii, Singapore, Cologne, Berlin etc
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My 19,000 points is worth ... 1,900 Avios. hmmm, that’s typically 2 months’ earning on Amex

Off into the wide blue yonder, based on price and convenience. Unlike you roadrunners, we will never generate any meaningful Hilton benefits.

That said, Homewood Suites in PHX will be getting our business in June ... based on location, price and smoking suites!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to clarify, Points and Miles may be going, but it will remain possible to exchange points for Avios. The rate is 1000 Honors points = 100 Avios.
While the HH:Avios exchange ratio is indeed 10:1, unfortunately 1,000 HH alone isn't enough for 100 Avios, as a minimum of 10K HH are required in order to get 1K Avios. (I'm sure you knew that, but I got my hopes for a moment when I read 1000:100)

My grand total of 28K HH doesn't give me 2,800 Avios but only 2K Avios with 8K HH remaining.

The Points+Miles option was very useful for starting my own and Mrs. JAXBA's IB accounts; especially as the HH:IB earn was more generous than HH:BA.

Oh well; while we'll still stay at some Hampton Inns every now then, both of us will probably focus on IHG more now.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Free breakfast at Waldorf Astoria properties is great news if you are gold or above. Also, if you are in that group, your earnings either stay more or less the same or get better.

if BA were to alter BAEC to the benefit of silvers and above but at the expense of less frequent flyers, I can’t imagine too many complainsts on here.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.