Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
IMPORTANT NOTE - The partnership between Tesco Clubcard and British Airways is ending. Details in this thread: No more Avios from Tesco Clubcard [ends 18th January 2021]

Tesco, the major UK supermarket chain, allows you to convert Tesco Clubcard (CC) points to Avios. The standard earning rate is 1 CC point per £1 spent in store. They convert to Avios in the ratio of 1 CC point to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin miles.

Every quarter, your points are converted to coupons and mailed to you - they can then be converted via the CC website to Avios or Virgin miles. Typically, it takes 1-2 working days for a conversion to BA Avios to complete.

The key to rapidly earning large amounts of Avios is the regular bonus point offers where large amounts of points can be earned. The latest are listed below and discussed within this thread.

The last period for collecting Clubcard points ended on 22 October 2020.

The last day for collecting points in the current quarter is 28 January 2021. Note: The end of the Clubcard / BA partnership means that routine vouchers for points earned in the current quarter will be issued too late for conversion into Avios.

TopCashback (TCB)

You can no longer convert TCB cashback into Clubcard points and onto Avios. Cashback can still be transferred directly to your Avios account at rate of 1p = 1.05 Avios although this is not a great deal (although cheaper than buying them from BA).

Averagely exciting long-running points deals:

150 points on £5 spend on your first Tesco photo order http://www.tescophoto.com/home

Opportunities for FREE points:

Earn 25 points a month doing a customer survey (300 points a year) https://www.tescoviews.com/tesco/desktop/landing.do
Up to 150 points per survey at Shoppers Thoughts https://www.shopperthoughts.com/signup
Recycle your printer cartridges and get 100 points (mixed feedback on this one) https://www.therecyclingfactory.com/tesco/

Everyday points opportunities at Tesco:

- Tesco credit card (discussed in the first post of this thread)
- Tesco instore and online shopping 1 point per £1 http://www.tesco.com/
- Tesco Fuel 1 point per £2 http://www.tescopfs.com/
- Tesco Mobile 1 point per £1 topped up http://www.tescomobile.com/
- Tesco Clothing F&F 1 point per £1 http://www.clothingattesco.com/
- Tesco Pay+ - no current promotions

Points opportunities at Tesco partners:

ESSO - Collect points on fuel and shop goods http://essopoints.co.uk/#how . In general, this ended in June 2019 when Esso changed to the Nectar scheme. However, it is still possible to collect Clubcard points at Esso petrol stations that have a Tesco Express.

Print Wikipost

Tesco and BA master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by luckyjim
Thanks for all the replies.

It is interesting to note how Tesco's attitude has changed. The 800 rate was retained to avoid upsetting those of us who had been earning this rate as 'Premium' clubcard holders. The current regime had no such qualms about upsetting the many customers who have been redeeming at 4x face value with various partners for many years.

I would not be surprised if Tesco dropped Avios as a partner in the next couple of years. The scheme does not need to be particularly generous to keep customers scanning their clubcards. I certainly won't be sitting on Clubcard points as I have in the past.
I sincerely hope not. Having just got another six figure number of Avios (at the 800 rate), mostly for using my Tesco debit card it would be quite a blow.

I still cant work out if the 30000 clubcard cap applies to the financial side or not, but I dont want to rock the boat by asking Tesco and find out I lose a pile.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And here's BAEC's offer this quarter
Big deal :-(
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by rapidex
I sincerely hope not. Having just got another six figure number of Avios (at the 800 rate), mostly for using my Tesco debit card it would be quite a blow.
I'm genuinely impressed that you can still amass a worthwhile number of points under the current rules. For me what used to be an excellent source of Avios has diminished to the point where I no longer go even slightly out of my way to spend money at Tesco. I am also on the 800 rate and would be sorry to see it go if only for nostalgic reasons but these days it makes virtually no difference to my now insignificant quarterly CC points tally.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I'm genuinely impressed that you can still amass a worthwhile number of points under the current rules. For me what used to be an excellent source of Avios has diminished to the point where I no longer go even slightly out of my way to spend money at Tesco. I am also on the 800 rate and would be sorry to see it go if only for nostalgic reasons but these days it makes virtually no difference to my now insignificant quarterly CC points tally.
Using my Tesco debit card to pay bills.The earnings rate is quite good. I have a monthly tax bill to HMRC for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) plus paying suppliers etc with my debit card. 2 Clubcard points for each £ spent on fuel,etc etc.

Last time I went for fuel there were 2 Hanson brick lorries filling up. A couple of thousand litres of diesel must be a good earn.
Blueboys999 and mike&co like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:43 am

Using my Tesco debit card to pay bills.The earnings rate is quite good.
By my maths it is 0.4 Avios per pound spent at best. Less when the spend is rounded down to the nearest £8. There have to be better options surely?

​​​​​​Would your suppliers accept the Curve card? You could fund that with a HSBC Premier card earning 1 Avios per pound. Bit of a faff but worth it with that level of spend.

​​​​​
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by luckyjim
By my maths it is 0.4 Avios per pound spent at best. Less when the spend is rounded down to the nearest £8. There have to be better options surely?

​​​​​​Would your suppliers accept the Curve card? You could fund that with a HSBC Premier card earning 1 Avios per pound. Bit of a faff but worth it with that level of spend.

​​​​​
A large part of my payments is to HMRC. I'm not sure if they will accept a curve card, but certainly worth looking into.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
A large part of my payments is to HMRC. I'm not sure if they will accept a curve card, but certainly worth looking into.
Apparently they do. Tested by @Raffles.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold

I still cant work out if the 30000 clubcard cap applies to the financial side or not, but I dont want to rock the boat by asking Tesco and find out I lose a pile.
I can confirm that the cap applies to both financial points AND "change" from previous qtrs voucher redemption's.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tesco Bank is meant to be excluded from the cap.

It certainly was excluded back in the days when they gave you 1000 points for referring people to the credit card :-)
rapidex likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Tesco Bank is meant to be excluded from the cap.

It certainly was excluded back in the days when they gave you 1000 points for referring people to the credit card :-)
Ive been over the limit one QTR caused by change and then recently via a Tesco Bank transaction. Both times i received the letter and had points deducted
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
Does anyone know if there's a Tesco conversion bonus on the horizon any time soon? I've just about recovered a stash of Clubcard points that I nearly lost due to inactivity as I was waiting for the next bonus to come along. If it's been 3 years since the last one then surely it should be long overdue. Otherwise I may as well just convert the whole lot by this upcoming quarter and be done with it as collecting hordes of clubcard points is becoming more difficult compared to previous years.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
If you need them, convert. There hasn't been a decent bonus for ages and given the dearth of bonus points elsewhere I no longer bother saving them up.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by MrMutton
If you need them, convert. There hasn't been a decent bonus for ages and given the dearth of bonus points elsewhere I no longer bother saving them up.
Frankly, Uber is far more valuable. It is a 'clean' 3x, so £10 of Tesco = £30 Uber or 2400 Avios. No way would I "pay" 1.25p per Avios.

Hotels.com is 3x on paper but isn't, because you don't get Rewards credit and lose a bit of cashback. Still at least 2.5x net, which means over 1p per Avios if you choose that instead of a hotel booking. 1p is still more than I want to pay.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:35 pm

Trouble is Uber is not available in lots of the places I go, Doncaster, Berwick on Tweed, Cornwall etc, although I did manage to use 1 in Bangkok the other day. But 79 baht is less than 2 quid so just not worth chucking in Tesco vouchers. Hotel.com bookings I do occasionally use , but mainly I need large quantities of Avios so this is where my clubcard points go. The curve card only partially works for me because of the low credit limit (I just bought a 14K kitchen from Howdens for the last of my new Cornwall houses) but the Tesco card works fine for that.

I am just about to buy a cat 9 holiday package from Marriott, which will chuck in 120,000 avios into the household pot, and will use the hotel cert for the new hotel in the Maldives. Hopefully qatar will have some seats available from LGW when their new service starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.