Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to select Club World seat on BA-operated flight as AA Platinum (OW Sapphire)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to select Club World seat on BA-operated flight as AA Platinum (OW Sapphire)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I put my AA number in the BA online reservation, but it seems like BA system doesn't recognize AA status from my AA number. How do i select Club World seat online without the outrageous $113 charge?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Try removing your FF number and adding it again and see whether it picks up the status
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
INdeed, also do note that with sapphire status you do not get all seats for free, so if you are trying to assign an emergency exit or some upper deck seats on a 744 it’s normal that you are asked to pay and not a technical error.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Try removing your FF number and adding it again and see whether it picks up the status
should I do this after reservation process is complete and paid or should I do this in the middle of booking process?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc

should I do this after reservation process is complete and paid or should I do this in the middle of booking process?
I am assuming that you have a booking already.

If you have another FF account that you can use, go to the finnair site and change the FF number to another one, then change it back to the AA account and see whether it picks up status

Once you have done this, I expect that you will find it picks up the status and you can select seats for no charge
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am assuming that you have a booking already.

If you have another FF account that you can use, go to the finnair site and change the FF number to another one, then change it back to the AA account and see whether it picks up status

Once you have done this, I expect that you will find it picks up the status and you can select seats for no charge
I haven't booked the flight yet... i was just trying to see if BA's online system would recognize my AA FF number to let me select seat for free.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I haven't booked the flight yet... i was just trying to see if BA's online system would recognize my AA FF number to let me select seat for free.
In which case they usually isn't a problem. Only BAEC status holders can select seats before-payment-without-seat-payment. Everyone else needs to enter their oneworld card during the initial booking and then at the end, they can normally go to Manage My Booking to get the right seat. Obviously it's best not to pay for seating along the way. In the unlikely event that your status isn't picked up in MMB then either try the hacks suggested up thread or give BA a call. I'm only aware of one issue here, namely when there has been a recent change to AA status and BA hasn't picked it up yet, but if you have had Sapphire or Emerald status for more than 48 hours there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
With an AAdvantage number, I usually have to enter it during the booking process on BA.com which does not let me choose seats, then immediately after I have finished and paid for the reservation, go back to BA.com/mmb to manage my booking and choose my seat. This rarely fails, and if it does, you can call BA.

The seat choice immediately after booking is very nearly the same as that during booking, the book rate or seat change rate on a particular flight isn't high enough to be material during the few minutes between starting a reservation and finishing it (when it's automatically ticketed on BA.com).

I don't think I've ever failed to get the seat I had my eye on during the booking process when I went back after booking to MMB to choose it.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
With an AAdvantage number, I usually have to enter it during the booking process on BA.com which does not let me choose seats, then immediately after I have finished and paid for the reservation, go back to BA.com/mmb to manage my booking and choose my seat. This rarely fails, and if it does, you can call BA.

The seat choice immediately after booking is very nearly the same as that during booking, the book rate or seat change rate on a particular flight isn't high enough to be material during the few minutes between starting a reservation and finishing it (when it's automatically ticketed on BA.com).

I don't think I've ever failed to get the seat I had my eye on during the booking process when I went back after booking to MMB to choose it.
thanks, I'll give it a try to pick seats after booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.