Search

Smart* way to NYC (from LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Smart* way to NYC (from LHR)

Happy Friday.

I need a smart route to NYC - where smart = good price + decent amount of TPs and I wondered if anyone had any previous experience in this to share?

Date out is fixed, return has a day or 2 leeway for travel - Need to be there by 4pm NYC time on Sun 29 April, and would prefer to come back by 3 May

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
adding a Saturday night will greatly help to reduce price if possible
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

How about this? Instant silver card.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

and a chance to experience the new BOS BA lounge .
Gerbs and steviewire like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: AA
A simple check on Google flights will bring up the best prices. You an then work out the TP's. Do you have to fly on Sunday? If so you wont get a decent price. Take in a Saturday and that will drastically reduce the price. i.e. lhr-jfk Sat 28/4 to 3/5 economy is £399 but that won't earn you a great deal of points. PE about £850 or Bus £1800. If you want more points you will have to pay out unfortunately.

Just seen the above they are good Business prices ex EU.

Last edited by steviewire; Jan 5, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Have you checked the BA Sale prices on the BA.com website? There are some excellent deals there and depending on budget you can earn plenty of TPs.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Thanks for this - appreciate the option but I can't get anywhere on the Sat.

Originally Posted by stewaran
adding a Saturday night will greatly help to reduce price if possible
Sadly not possible.

Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Have you checked the BA Sale prices on the BA.com website? There are some excellent deals there and depending on budget you can earn plenty of TPs.
Thanks for this. I've checked but nothing that shows less than £2/TP for the date - possibly the Saturday issue.

Whilst in my BAEC i noticed I have enough points for a RFS...but also for an Amex 241. This may seem the right time to use it (once I figure out if I'm not travelling alone!)
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TPRun
Whilst in my BAEC i noticed I have enough points for a RFS
RFS is very unlikely to help you if you're going to NYC. RFS is only for short-haul flights. If you redeem for a long-haul flight, you won't get an RFS price.

If you were to start a ticket from an EU point, then an RFS ticket might be good for positioning you to start the ticket. But given your timescales, an ex-EU ticket may not work for you.

If you can find availability in a cabin you like and you have someone to travel with you, then using a 2-4-1 (if you already have one) may be a good idea. It's easy to predict the number of Avios and TPs you'll earn on the flights if you do that: 0 and 0.
20Rothmans and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by TPRun
Whilst in my BAEC i noticed I have enough points for a RFS...but also for an Amex 241. This may seem the right time to use it (once I figure out if I'm not travelling alone!)
You can't do a long haul RFS - they're short haul only. If you can't do a Saturday night stay, then fares will be very expensive. So, yes, an Avios redemption (with/without 241) could be the answer. Have you checked availability?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
.... If you can't do a Saturday night stay...
then Norwegian may be more affordable.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think the problem here is that if you have to start your travel on the Sunday and have to be in New York by 4pm, essentially you are restricted to direct flights out.

You definitely can't travel even late evening on the Saturday?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Have you considered BOS or PHL as your destination and take the train/bus to NYC area? If price difference is big enough and you are willing to give up the time.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Rubbish for TPs (280) but DUB-JFK would seem to be your best bet - non-stop on your dates for £1,569 in business. It's the 757 but it should be refurbished and you can either take a very late flight on the 28th or, if you prefer, DUB-PHL on the A330 in economy (business is crazy expensive) and get the train to NY.

You won't get in to NY by 4 p.m. either way but PHL adds about 100 minutes over JFK in total, with a 2 p.m. landing.

Last edited by Cymro; Jan 5, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
RFS is very unlikely to help you if you're going to NYC. RFS is only for short-haul flights. If you redeem for a long-haul flight, you won't get an RFS price.

If you were to start a ticket from an EU point, then an RFS ticket might be good for positioning you to start the ticket. But given your timescales, an ex-EU ticket may not work for you.

If you can find availability in a cabin you like and you have someone to travel with you, then using a 2-4-1 (if you already have one) may be a good idea. It's easy to predict the number of Avios and TPs you'll earn on the flights if you do that: 0 and 0.
Cheers - I'm either all in with a high £ and semi-high TP or I'm 0 and 0 with a 2-4-1.

Thank you for the info though
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
You can't do a long haul RFS - they're short haul only. If you can't do a Saturday night stay, then fares will be very expensive. So, yes, an Avios redemption (with/without 241) could be the answer. Have you checked availability?
Ah sorry I didn't mean RFS I just meant an Avios booking for 1.. I think I've found a travel buddy and the redemption is 100k avios and 500/per person for CW return (BA).

Originally Posted by richardwft

then Norwegian may be more affordable.
Interesting! I'll take a look

Originally Posted by navylad
I think the problem here is that if you have to start your travel on the Sunday and have to be in New York by 4pm, essentially you are restricted to direct flights out.

You definitely can't travel even late evening on the Saturday?
I could do a late eve on Sat - it's a stupid reason: I'm signed up for Tough Mudder in a group which is Saturday (and I don't know what time it ends!) but my mate is getting married on the Sunday eve in NYC and I'd like to be there too!

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Have you considered BOS or PHL as your destination and take the train/bus to NYC area? If price difference is big enough and you are willing to give up the time.
I think the timing will be an issue as I need to be there for a wedding. Fixed timings. My fault for the Sat but at least I have the Avios 241 to fall back on...

Originally Posted by Cymro
Rubbish for TPs (280) but DUB-JFK would seem to be your best bet - non-stop on your dates for £1,569 in business. It's the 757 but it should be refurbished and you can either take a very late flight on the 28th or, if you prefer, DUB-PHL on the A330 in economy (business is crazy expensive) and get the train to NY.

You won't get in to NY by 4 p.m. either way but PHL adds about 100 minutes over JFK in total, with a 2 p.m. landing.
The timing won't work but thank you for the idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.