FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Print Wikipost

Premium Fare Deals | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
... The trains are every 20 minutes and are far more likely to recover from any irrops quickly.
I presume you don't have the misfortune to use trains much?!
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Smid
Pre departure drink and start that movie. Interrupt for safety demo. Some flights have cameras underneath or on the tail pointing forwards (A350 not sure what others, think A350 coming later in year for DOH AKL) so watch take off, then back to the movie. 30 minutes up seatbelt off, next drink. Something to eat, slowly over the next hour and a half or two hours, or just defer that to whenever you feel like (I had it five hours in, asking it to be set aside). Few drinks more, couple of movies, about 5 hours in. Sleep. 13 hours in, wake up, have breakfast, maybe one more more movie. See if the last movie possible. Or watch landing.
I allocate a good 30-60 minutes to chat to various members of the cabin crew (when they’re not busy), especially the female ones.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Reluctant as I am to disagree with my noble fellow FTers, I am doing this next month and have decided to live life on the edge and get the train on the day. The trains are every 20 minutes and are far more likely to recover from any irrops quickly. I would rather live life on the edge than stay in an airport hotel, unnecessarily
I’d rather stump up the night in the hotel. I’ve been sat on a train for 4 hours twice when there’s been an incident that’s shut the whole line down
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'm booked outbound MAN-AKL in Sept - departs 21.25hrs and can get the BA1402 - LRH-MAN 17.55-19.00

I'm not a anxious person, and HBO - but is this plain daft? Never been to MAN and assume it's a fairly slick / compact airport ? Alternative is it's only three hour drive - but don't fancy the drive on the return...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I'm booked outbound MAN-AKL in Sept - departs 21.25hrs and can get the BA1402 - LRH-MAN 17.55-19.00

I'm not a anxious person, and HBO - but is this plain daft? Never been to MAN and assume it's a fairly slick / compact airport ? Alternative is it's only three hour drive - but don't fancy the drive on the return...
I would not call Manchester Airport in any way slick. There are three terminals IIRC, last time I think I must have surely taken a wrong turning as I felt like I walked the length of the runway to get to check in. A more knowledgable FTer will be able to advise on airside connections.

That said, I do recall them pulling people out of the security queue and prioritising them if their flight was imminent.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
I would not call Manchester Airport in any way slick. There are three terminals IIRC, last time I think I must have surely taken a wrong turning as I felt like I walked the length of the runway to get to check in. A more knowledgable FTer will be able to advise on airside connections.

That said, I do recall them pulling people out of the security queue and prioritising them if their flight was imminent.
My experiences with security are the worst amongst any airport I've used in the world... enjoy that!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both - I wonder if six months away will allow a schedule change to get me LHR/LGW ?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mikefly

You'll need to get from T3 to T2 which is quite a walk. Probably 20 minutes or so.

Note that the T2 will be almost deserted when you get there. After the morning rush, it tails off into the evening. You'll get priority lane anyway.

However, I wouldn't do that on separate tickets. If the BA flight gets delayed / cancelled, you're stuffed.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your helpful response DYKWIA I guess the below is a prime example of something that would ruin everything !

Current delays at LHR - 1 Runway closed
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

The HKG routing is far more palpable, a tad cheaper, and all for just 40 TPs less.

M
can you give me more info on that routing? cheaper than this current offer?
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
My experiences with security are the worst amongst any airport I've used in the world... enjoy that!
I didn't want to offer a triple whammy but, er, yes. Worst....
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Sealink

I didn't want to offer a triple whammy but, er, yes. Worst....
That applies to any airport run by MAG to be fair
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

MAN is my home base when in UK. Done the BA1402 loads, I wouldn't count on that connection tbh, give yourself more time.

MAG PLC seems way too unpredictable these days and MAN is, well, a building site. For some obscure reason they have now after loads of complaints done a dedicated fast track in T1 (Emirates/Etihad use it....hmmmm!) closing off the bucket and spade lanes which actually separates out FT into a different area and it really works after years of utter chaos. Last 2 trips (Feb/Mar) been through in 5 mins tops. T3 and T2, well another story. Ive lost count of BA agents saying to me how much they (BA) have complained to MAG about the appalling T3 security/transfer ymmv.

Drive!!!!. The M6 has the longest 50 mph 'we are upgrading you to a smart motorway' cock up prior to getting the MAN M56 junction in the UK. Don't.

Train sure, but as stated before there are risk too.

try a night in manchester centre before, great city

great deal you have secured enjoy
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
For some obscure reason they have now after loads of complaints done a dedicated fast track in T1 (Emirates/Etihad use it....hmmmm!)
Where is that? Never noticed it. I use the normal Premium Lane/Fastrack every week, and it's generally not too bad. Normally through in less than 5 minutes, but that's after the peak rush.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Where is that? Never noticed it. I use the normal Premium Lane/Fastrack every week, and it's generally not too bad. Normally through in less than 5 minutes, but that's after the peak rush.
If you recall just to the left side of the easy jet bag drop is the FT? adjacent that was the normal queue (jet2 downstairs). Now there is only FT next to the Easyjet bag drop (enforced) and all others are now directed further along the terminal. As you walk through FT they are only using the one FT lane to the right and the previous lanes on the left are empty/ defunct. So as you get to security the place is virtually empty for FT use only. As opposed to the zoo it was. If as you say you use it every week surprised you haven't noticed the change, huge difference. Hopefully its not just a temp fix. Last used 25/2. (same 16/1). Let me know if its changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.