Current delays at LHR - 1 Runway closed

Old Mar 14, 18, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Current delays at LHR - 1 Runway closed

Currently on board and delayed for 35 minutes already with no new departure time being given. This is due to a scheduled runway repair (flight decks exact words) so just to make folks aware there are small delays so far. Still waiting to pushback and cabin has been 'unrescured'

Anyone any idea of what's happening?

Pro-acrive cabin crew handing out orange and water.
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Using 09L only

I'm at the gate waiting to board BA662 and they informed us LHR is in single runway operations.

I could only find a tweet from HeathrowNoise saying
"Due to essential works required on the southern runway (09R), we will be operating on the northern runway (09L) for arrivals and departures until approximately 1130. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause"
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:27 am

Back to two

Just seen two flights go from 09R and a few land on 09L, so looks like we're back up to two runways.

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simon79 View Post
I'm at the gate waiting to board BA662 and they informed us LHR is in single runway operations.

"Due to essential works required on the southern runway (09R), we will be operating on the northern runway (09L) for arrivals and departures until approximately 1130. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause"
Somebody on twitter claiming a BA aircraft had an engine failure which is causing a hold-up. Looks like both runways are back in use now if Plane finder is correct (IB A320 just taken off from 09R and aircraft landing on 09L)

Pilot37
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Many thanks for passing on that and the subsequent tweet, single runway operation is a real pain since it more than halves the throughput of aircraft, hopefully it won't be for too long, some minor runway repairs can be done quite quickly and HAL keep the resources permanently on standby for this situation. But let me also welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA forum simon79, I do hope that we see more of you, and that you have a good flight to Cyprus.
simon79 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
But let me also welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA forum simon79, I do hope that we see more of you, and that you have a good flight to Cyprus.
Thanks. Long time lurker, first time I've had anything useful to contribute - cue rushed registration!
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Also an aborted take off on the runway (not sure which aircraft) which then needed a runway inspection. Moving forward ever so lightly on the BA285 to San Francisco
Tobias-UK and rapidex like this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:07 am

50min departure delay per the flight crew

My 11:40 BA662 to LCA has been given a scheduled pushback of 12:30, according to the FO.
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:11 am

The issue was loose Tarmac on RWY 9R.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
@HeathrowNoise

i hadn't come across that Twitter account before. looks like it could be useful to know what's going on. cheers.
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by wythy View Post
The issue was loose Tarmac on RWY 9R.
Nothing like a big lump of tarmac going through the number 1 engine to ruin your day.
simon79 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Sounds like it was necessary emergency engineering rather than "scheduled" works. Presumably LHR would not ordinarily schedule works at the busiest time of day....
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Nothing like a big lump of tarmac going through the number 1 engine to ruin your day.
Would Number 2 be any better?
Old Mar 14, 18, 11:52 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
Would Number 2 be any better?
If it went through number one there would definitely be a few people needing number twos on board
kosy91 and plunet like this.
Old Mar 14, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
It held our pushback up for 30 minutes this morning to HEL (11.05am) but most of the time was made up in the end. In fact, a 30 minute departure delay from LHR is quite normal, closed runway or not!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: