Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sitting in the lounge at PMI, waiting to fly to BHX. Latest info says we’ll be 4.5 hours delayed... and I’m actually delighted because it’s meant that I can watch the England game on the tele in the lounge, and then claim compensation 😀
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
My BA award flight to LHR today was canceled, and with no inventory available, I was rebooked on another airline’s flight tomorrow. I had a separate booking on AA for an onward flight from LHR; rebooking that for tomorrow was prohibitive, so I canceled that flight to be used at a later date (after payment of a hefty cancellation fee and any fare difference) and booked an AA award flight home from LHR. I am spending the night in a hotel provided by BA, and had the rather nasty dinner they provided. It now appears that award inventory on AA has opened up on a direct flight home tomorrow. If I don’t take the flight to London booked for me by BA, am I still able to claim compensation, and does the duty of care retroactively disappear?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is a separate booking, it can not have any impact on the compensation / duty of care
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rfrost
If I don’t take the flight to London booked for me by BA, am I still able to claim compensation, and does the duty of care retroactively disappear?
With so few specifics I can only give a general answer, which is that broadly speaking if you are claiming for Article 7 compensation you do need to sustain a delay, with a few exceptions. But if you don't take a replacement service, thereby cancelling the booking, then you may be able to get a full or partial refund.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I am sustaining a delay, as, even if I bypass LHR (my BA destination) I won’t get home until a day later. But if the delay is only calculated from arrival at the ticketed destination, which is LHR, I would not be going to London at all.
As the BA ticket is a short haul award ticket, a refund would be minimal and would not compenste me for my losses.

Last edited by rfrost; Jul 8, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:14 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I am sustaining a delay, as, even if I bypass LHR (my BA destination) I won’t get home until a day later. But if the delay is only calculated from arrival at the ticketed destination, which is LHR, I would not be going to London at all.
As the BA ticket is a short haul award ticket, a refund would be minimal and would not compenste me for my losses.
I’m afraid this is one of the dangers of separate tickets. In law, this will only be treated as a XXX-LHR itinerary. If you choose not to pass through LHR at all and cancel, you would only be looking at the refund line.

In terms of Duty of Care, I would expect that would still apply - you could probably reasonably claim “trip in vain” on that given the length of delay, and that in itself would be enough to justify the need to stay overnight and then re-build your total itinerary from there.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:39 pm

Thanks. I generally avoid separate PNRs with same day travel, but I figured a 6 + hour gap in the summer would be relatively safe. Lesson learned.
I shall suffer through the extra flight and LHR connection.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:19 am

Thanks. I generally avoid separate PNRs with same day travel, but I figured a 6 + hour gap in the summer would be relatively safe. Lesson learned.
I shall suffer through the extra flight and LHR connection.
What is the airport from which you are flying? If it is 1500km or less to Heathrow, is it worth the hassle and time of going via Heathrow rather than going non stop ( and getting refund on the LHR ticket ) for the EUR250 compenstion. If this is a ticket to US in a cabin higher than economy, the APD alone would be EUR208 from London

Looking at the regulation, it seems t read that the compensation may be payable even if the passenger cancels

It reads to me that the passenger should Be offered assistance in accordance with article 8 AND have right to compensation in accordance with article 7
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at the regulation, it seems t read that the compensation may be payable even if the passenger cancels

It reads to me that the passenger should Be offered assistance in accordance with article 8 AND have right to compensation in accordance with article 7
That's correct, and BA are known to pay out on that basis if there is a cancellation involved. If it's a delay then it's different. But this is one of those examples where the ability to advise is inhibited by the lack of information.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's correct, and BA are known to pay out on that basis if there is a cancellation involved. If it's a delay then it's different. But this is one of those examples where the ability to advise is inhibited by the lack of information.
He did say in his 1st post that the flight was cancelled. Indeed , it is a lot easier if people will give all relevant information
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If it is a cancellation the OP would be able to cancel and ask for a (full) refund and still be able to demand EU Reg. 261/04 compensation afterwards (provided of course that BA is not exempted from liability to pay due to extraordinary circumstances). If the BA flight was delayed, the OP would not be able to cancel/refund and demand comp. as the OP wouldn't have incurred a delay (the OP was not on the delayed flight).

I believe the OP has already understood that the subsequent AA flight on separate ticket is entirely irrelevant to BA and that the obligation of BA is to get the OP to LHR (and in the meantime the duty of care of course).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
My wife and I were on BA48 from SEA-LHR on June 27th. Due to inbound aircraft having an equipment change in LHR our flight boarded 4 hours late. We arrived in LHR just under hours late. That forced us to change our connection LHR-DUB. That connection was also delayed due to tech problem. Once we finally arrived at our destination we were 4.5 hours late in total. On June 29th I submitted a request for compensation using the BA website form. On July 9th we received an email acknowledging the delay and agreeing to deposit the 600 EUR each into our bank account within 10 business days. $1,400 USD for 2 people being 4.5 hours late sure is worth it. Thanks for having this thread with all the information we needed to get our compensation.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
He did say in his 1st post that the flight was cancelled. Indeed , it is a lot easier if people will give all relevant information
I did not mean to be mysterious, but I have considerable difficulty typing FT posts on my Iphone.
Here's what happened: The flight that BA cancelled yesterday was from CDG to LHR. I had booked a paid roundtrip JFK-LHR on AA and then award flights (at minimal cost) on BA to and from LHR/CDG, in part because of favorable pricing and, on the return, a chance to try AA's new PE, and in part because my dates in Paris were contingent on casting at the Paris Opera Ballet, which is always subject to change, and I wanted the flexibility to be able to change my dates in Paris without incurring significant costs.
The flight was due to depart at 10:35 am, was delayed for MX a couple of times, and ultimately at about 2 pm, canceled. By the time it was canceled, there was no availability on any flight that day from CDG to LHR (I also checked Eurostar, which was sold out for the day), so BA rebooked me on an early morning flight today and sent me off to the Ibis Style (a subject for another conversation). (I knew that BA's only obligation was to get me to LHR, and did not ask to be booked to JFK.)
Before the flight was canceled but as the delays began to mount, I had called AA, explained that I might not make my flight, and asked to be protected on a flight today, which they did for me. When I called them back right after getting the CDG-LHR flight rebooked, they quoted a very large figure (4 digits, the first of which was not a 1) to make the change, and that was not even for a PE seat. I did not think I wanted to pay that for a seat in Y, so I asked about the CDG-JFK nonstop today (yesterday's had already departed), figuring that, if there were any seats for sale, I could probably book it as an AAnytime reward, and then just cancel the flight to LHR, but I was told it was sold out. I then asked about award availability on LHR-JFK flights, but while the AAgent was checking (she was quite slow), my pay-as-you-go SIM card ran out and I lost the call, so I decided to go over to the Ibis and call AA back from there. Before calling AA back, I checked award availability for LHR-JFK online, and saw that there was some, decided that was a better solution, and called AA again, canceling my paid PE return (to be rebooked at a future date, when fares are a bit more reasonable) and booking an award (in Y, so no "enhanced" APD) today from LHR-JFK.
Some hours later, a friend alerted me that an award seat in Y had opened up on the CDG-JFK flight. I am not seeking a windfall, but as I'll face a 3-digit rebooking fee when I do rebook the LHR-JFK flight, I do want the Rule 261 comp and wasn't sure whether I'd get it if I did not fly to LHR on the flight BA rebooked me on, which is why I posted the question. As I read the responses posted before I had to get over to CDG T2 as negative, I thought it prudent to take the rebooked flight to LHR and fly home from there. Which I've now done.
Thanks to all the FTers who tried to answer my question, and my apologies if I wasn't clear. I was trying to write as little as possible.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for the extra details, it makes it easier to project your options. Here is the dispatch information which indeed confirms an operational delay followed by a technical cancellation and therefore should be OK for EC261 at 250€. Normally there should have been some alternative from Paris to the UK even if it involved Ryanair from Beauvais or non Eurostar trains. The BACF service from ORY to LCY did not leave full yesterday so that would have been another option, but I guess it was too late by this stage to switch airports. But you should get that amount regardless of whether you travelled or not. The main reason why you could have been declined is extraordinary circumstances - which doesn't appear to apply. You are correct that you took on the risk of the separate tickets for the USA, so BA have no liability, but I would have at least asked BA and then AA in the airport if they would allow you a direct transfer, even though they would have been in their rights to decline to do so.
DOBA307/08JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 307 -1 SU 08JUL18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

CDG NEXT INFO WILL BE AT 1430
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1100
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0644
TECH
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1104 LHR
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 307 -1 SU 08JUL18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
CDG 1035 SU JCDRI/M YB/G 320 1:25
HKMLVNOQSGX/G
LHR 1100 SU 1:25
COMMENTS-
1.CDG LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.CDG LHR - DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
3.CDG LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
4.CDG LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.CDG LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.CDG LHR - CO2/PAX* 60.25 KG ECO, 60.25 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
320 C 12 M 150
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:08 pm

Thanks, CWS. I had asked the AA staff in the lounge while the delays were mounting, and while they were sympathetic, they said everything was overbooked. They shut down at 1 pm, when the flight to CLT, which is AA's last flight out, closes, so weren't available in any case. I know that BA rebooked at least 2 people from my flight who were ticketed on BA to JFK on an AF nonstop this morning (presumably because the AA nonstop was sold out), but I rather doubt they would have done that for me given my separate tickets, so I doubt it would have made a difference, but if it ever happens again, perhaps I will ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.