Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:34 am

Hi

I'm looking to search availability for LCY-JFK flights but I don't seem to narrow it down to LCY, just LON which makes searching a pain both on BA and the redemption finder site. I'm probably making a stupid mistake so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by tim0409
Hi

I'm looking to search availability for LCY-JFK flights but I don't seem to narrow it down to LCY, just LON which makes searching a pain both on BA and the redemption finder site. I'm probably making a stupid mistake so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim
I'm seeing normal availability showing on ba.com as a straight redemption using LCY-JFK in 'Spending Avios' so can't explain why your not seeing it. (I'm using Google Chrome)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
I'm looking for reverse direction. (JFK-LCY) AA shows some saver award availability in J on October 19th but no seat open on ba.com?!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Marschel
I'm looking for reverse direction. (JFK-LCY) AA shows some saver award availability in J on October 19th but no seat open on ba.com?!
for me there isn't any milesaaver avalaibility showing for the BA JFK-LCY flight on 19 Oct on aa.com - in fact neither aa.com or ba.com show any J reward seats available for JFK-LON on 19 October.

on 18 October both on aa.com and ba.com there is a availability on ba2.

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
on 18 October both on aa.com and ba.com there is a availability on ba2.
Weird I'm only getting availability on ba.com. Anyway thanks for checking!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
I also want to book a BA flight from LCY which has availability, but can't find it on Iberia Plus, which is from where I have to spend the Avios. Is there any way around it?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Is it a one way Cityflyer flight. Technically only BA, not subsidiary flights, can be booked one way (have you looked return?). Maybe you can get more leeway on the phone?
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Yes, was looking at Cityflyer to Paris or Dusseldorf. It works from LCY when I select return. For one-way it only offers LHR. Thank you!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I also can't get Iberia+ to show me LCY reward flights. I think that this is because IAG (collectively) does not view them as BA flights for some purposes. For example, they cannot be booked using Gold Priority (double Avios) as they do not count as BA flights for this purpose - or so I have been told several times. Has anyone managed to book an LCY flight through Iberia+ ?

I have a q. about booking single BA award flights through Iberia+. Are they cancelable, and if so, can this be done online and what is the penalty ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you are talking about shorthaul BA Cityflyer flights the problem may be that you are looking oneway? IB+ allows oneway IB & BA flights but not other OW partners and empirically that also seems to exclude BACF.

If you are taking about BA1/2 there also seem to be some quirks (I can often see BA2 but not BA1), but I have no explanation for that!

For any other oneway BA redemption, yes I think it should be flexible but the rules are typically quite clear on the final booking page.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA
When there is a schedule change of a booked flight on BA metal using Avios, what is the threshold of time difference that is needed for them to waive the change fee? 10 mins? 1 hour? 2 hours?

If schedule change causes me to change my flights (assuming they waive the fee), would they still require the Avios difference if changing from off-peak to peak (say, October 29 being off-peak to October 28 being peak)?

What is the schedule change threshold that would allow you to move to any flight, regardless of Avios availability?

Unsure if there is a set policy on any of these or not.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:00 pm

Advice for novice!

Hi I have managed to get a 241 voucher which is valid for 2 years from now, however I only have c50,000 Avios and would be looking to go somewhere 2 adults and 1 child (age 10). Can only go school holidays and would preferably want to go business class. Is there any business class flights using RFS that have beds or is this only long-haul? Any suggestions on the best use of these points and voucher? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Ghost11A
Can only go school holidays and would preferably want to go business class. Is there any business class flights using RFS that have beds or is this only long-haul? Any suggestions on the best use of these points and voucher? Thanks in advance for any advice.
1. Yes but only when long haul planes are used short haul - Madrid is I think the only route running at the moment.
2. If you want business in long haul format my suggestion would be spend 12 months getting more points and doing research. If you’re in the U.K. the Head for Points blog gives lots of tips on Avios earning deals mainly involving credit card bonuses. Also make sure you buy everything online via the Avios estore or topcashback.

note there is a little known snag with the 2-4-1 — if you are a few points short of a redemption when booking with BA you can make good with some extra cash to buy the missing Avios: this is not available to you at checkout when using a 2-4-1 — you must have all the points required ready to use.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Avios can be used to book flights on partner airline JAL.
JAL has it own partner/affiliate airline, Japan Transocean Air (JTA) which operates domestic services on behalf of Japan Airlines.

Can Avios be used to book flights on JTA?
Would anyone have information on this?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ghost11A
Hi I have managed to get a 241 voucher which is valid for 2 years from now, however I only have c50,000 Avios and would be looking to go somewhere 2 adults and 1 child (age 10). Can only go school holidays and would preferably want to go business class. Is there any business class flights using RFS that have beds or is this only long-haul? Any suggestions on the best use of these points and voucher? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Originally Posted by memesweeper

1. Yes but only when long haul planes are used short haul - Madrid is I think the only route running at the moment.
There is the IB3166 / BA522 pair of flights on an A340, which has recently changed to the new A350
On the BA side BA456/457 when it is served by a 777, also has lie-flat seats.

The other RFS route that consistently has lie flat seats is DME, either on A321 or B787/777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.