Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Redemption experiences

I rang the Gold line tonight, very nice etc... My query was - can I upgrade my booked WT+ from SJC to LHR for myself and youngest son (20).

Bizarre exchange followed - there are no Avios available options to CW. So I said Cw is virtually empty. Agent says how do you know . I said expert flyer. She then confirmed the CW cabin was almost empty. So I asked her why cant I book upgrades. I then got a tirade of commercial sales blah blah . Then went to BA sales. Initially they wanted 1108 to upgrade the two seats. After 22mins guy came back with 3000! For two

whatwould would you do? FWIW the gold line said its approx 25-30k Avios to upgrade.
cheers T
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
If you can upgrade with Avios it is a good deal, otherwise it depends on your bank account really but that is not a great price you are getting.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
what would would you do?
I would firstly check there was Avios availability before ringing - it is the same as redemption availability. Secondly if CW was important I would either book it in the first place or use a Gold Priority Reward for double Avios (pure redemptions only). Thirdly I'd think about AUP or POUGs if all else failed.

UUA from WTP to CW on SJC is 30k Avios off peak, 25k Avios peak. Best days for availability from SJC are Mondays and Tuesdays, with Wednesdays in third position. Weekends aren't very forthcoming (though there is availability for the next 3 nights).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would firstly check there was Avios availability before ringing - it is the same as redemption availability. Secondly if CW was important I would either book it in the first place or use a Gold Priority Reward for double Avios (pure redemptions only). Thirdly I'd think about AUP or POUGs if all else failed.

UUA from WTP to CW on SJC is 30k Avios off peak, 25k Avios peak. Best days for availability from SJC are Mondays and Tuesdays, with Wednesdays in third position. Weekends aren't very forthcoming (though there is availability for the next 3 nights).
thank you CWS . I did check at It showed as open. Obviously changed now

No CW isnt that important

Forgive my naive - Gold Priority Award ?

i I get your closer to time of departure points.

cheers T
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Forgive my naive - Gold Priority Award ?
Gold Priority Rewards are where you can force availability to become available, so long as there are revenue seats going. It costs double the amount of Avios, but the same cash component. The beauty of it is that if normal availability shows up you can book the conventional Avios space then cancel the GPR for a full refund.

Gold Priority Award
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:34 pm

I rang the Gold line tonight, very nice etc... My query was - can I upgrade my booked WT+ from SJC to LHR for myself and youngest son (20).

Bizarre exchange followed - there are no Avios available options to CW. So I said Cw is virtually empty. Agent says how do you know . I said expert flyer. She then confirmed the CW cabin was almost empty. So I asked her why cant I book upgrades. I then got a tirade of commercial sales blah blah . Then went to BA sales. Initially they wanted 1108 to upgrade the two seats. After 22mins guy came back with 3000! For two

whatwould would you do? FWIW the gold line said its approx 25-30k Avios to upgrade.
cheers T
The availability you are looking at is commercial fare availability. BA only release a guaranteed two avios seats in club world/club europe on each flight after that all bets are off!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - an eye opener. CWS your knowledge is amazing. Thank you
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

thank you CWS . I did check at It showed as open. Obviously changed now

I suspect Anonba is right. There's a difference between commercial availability and reward availability for Avios upgrades. Did you check for reward availability using ExpertFlyer or just for commercial availability?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Anonba
The availability you are looking at is commercial fare availability. BA only release a guaranteed two avios seats in club world/club europe on each flight after that all bets are off!
If the cabin is empty well before travel, well then BA might think they can sell the extra seats, so won't make any more available. They get more money from cash CW tickets than Avios ones.
If it *stays* empty closer to the flight (2 weeks or so) then they will probably open up more redemption inventory. Keep checking (or pay for one of the subscription services that will alert you).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.