Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR wheelchair assistance shambles (again)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I suspect a big part of the issue is the delay involved in getting airside security clearance for staff.
It's not like you can click your finger and get someone to start tomorrow in that environment.
Therefore --- blame the terrorists for all ills!

Not saying that OmniServe should not allow for resignations, sickness, sickies and other things. They obviously should, and in fact over-staff them, but I'm just saying that they can't just go to Job Centre and get 20 people in to start the next day.
I don't know whether it's true, but the chap I had helping me last night said the problem is with recruitment as they are only offering minimum wage and thus they can't get enough staff.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Don't make excuses for Omniserve, only for the poor underpaid people working for them. My husband requires assistance and, based on our nightmare experiences traveling through London - not only Heathrow but also Gatwick we'll do anything to avoid any transfer there unless it's our final destination. There is an 'agreement' published on the Heathrow website concerning Omniserve's 'promise' as to what they are meant to provide, they fail in every respect. Although we also give advance requests for assistance there isn't one single time when there hasn't been a significant problem - including one where we almost missed a flight because, in spite of multiple calls by the lounge staff, no one picked us up.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
It seems like there is little accountability for Omniserve. Who can hold their feet to the fire if they are not providing the service they should? HAL?
After all these years they still use Omniserve, either HAL don't care or they pay so little noone else is interested.

I (my wife to be exact) have only had to use disability assistance a couple of times a few years ago but it was shocking, from BA's arrangement of it to security screening. My wife, the ardent royal and lover of all things British hasn't set foot on BA since. It doesn't really matter who actually provides it, as far as the customer is concerned it's BA, and being by far HAL's largest airline customer if they truly cared enough to kick up a fuss HAL would have to respond.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:04 am

In response to the people that answered me earlier.

My husband would be able to push me from the aircraft door to baggage pick up and then we could put a hand luggage bag in to the wheelchair to weight it down and I could use it to lean on to get to the taxi.

The wheelchair I would take would be my secondary travel one, so whilst annoying if it got lost or damaged it would not be a disaster. The main thing is to avoid almost missing the flight because they don’t come to collect you (last time they sent a buggy for five to collect six people and then dithered over what to do), and to try and get from aircraft to customs in less than two hours (again a typical time).

I really don’t know how Omniserve and HAL get away with such a blatant disregard for the law.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by red duster
Having travelled to/through Heathrow more than 14 times in the 18 months my experiences concur with everyone on this thread especially the OP, who have needed their help, T5-T3-T5 transfer in particular is a nightmare, i have complained numerous times to Omniserve verbally and via email and things don't change.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Same here - I’ve complained countless times to both Heathrow (who are legally charged with providing the servic) and Omniserve (who are the company with the contract to provide the service on behalf of Heathrow) - I have come to the conclusion that neither organisation cares.
As most of this discussion appeared while I was away, I hadn't planned to comment, other than to note the ever-helpful Can I Help You's accurate observations that the service is not provided by BA. However BA is the customer's interface and from this customer's POV should press HAL for improvement.

There is another side to the coin. On our return to T5 a couple of days ago, service was impeccable. Waited exiting the plane all of 2 minutes before a wheelchair arrived, then a buggy through Immigration to Customs, help with bags and a further wheelchair to the Customs exit where our driver was waiting.

What made this encounter particularly memorable was the buggy driver's and my mutual admiration of Roy Orbison! He - er, and I - had been fans since Only the Lonely in 1961 and he had visited The Big O's grave in Nashville. While waiting for bags, we had a great, respectful conversation and we were able to exchange useful info. Very OT, I know, but it raised my spirits so much that I'd like to send a BA-style Thank You but don't know how.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I suspect a big part of the issue is the delay involved in getting airside security clearance for staff.
It's not like you can click your fingers and get someone to start tomorrow in that environment.
Therefore --- blame the terrorists for all ills!
OK, but surely these conditions apply to most other airports, and they don't seem to suffer on the same scale. Personally, I find ZRH service impeccable, except the buggy driver shared my wife's first name last month, leading to odd conversation.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Roger
OK, but surely these conditions apply to most other airports, and they don't seem to suffer on the same scale.
I suspect my post needs to be read in its entirety in this particular case rather than just a small part of it in order to see what I was really getting at. (i.e. it takes a long time to bring someone online => allow for more resignations, sicknesses etc. because they can't just hire someone for them to start the same day => HAL might need to pay more to their contractors to get them to do this => HAL charges every one of us a lot of money and still don't provide a decent service so we should ALL be upset, not just those who are directly affected by their bad assistance service)
Roger likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Early in 2027 my daughter returned from a school sport trip in a cast and required wheelchair assistance. In Cyprus she was met kerbside and the agent did not leave her till she boarded. The flight was late into LHR but at the aircraft door aft door she was collected and pushed to the baggage hall. At this point she was told to transfer to a different chair and the school leader asked if she could tame her the rest of the way. They agreed not realising that legal responsibility rested with the airport and their agents. I was genuinley shocked to see the school staff pushing her and of course they left her in my care at International arrivals whilst they got the others students sorted. I made several attempts to get help before trying to push her with a suitcase and hand baggage back to the car park.

The car car park was littered with 12-15 wheelchairs and the instruction was to leave it there. Once settle I again called using the dedicated telephone but no reply.

it was a shambles.

i complained in writing the following day and about 3 days later received the usual corporate cut and paste claptrap from Heathrow airport.

i replied quoting the EU regs and requesting that the issue be escalated and that they advise me of their formal complaints procedure, including details of who to take this up with in the event that I did not accept their reply.
I was called this time and was offered a day out for my family as an apology. I declined this for personal reasons and asked if shipping vouchers could be made available. They agreed but no fugure was given. A week later £250 in shopping vouchers arrived.There is an absolute requirement that passengers with mobility needs are taken from the aircraft to their inward transport.People must complain in writing and formally. Obtain/demand compensation not because you can but because only a financial penalty will help bring about change. Those with significant issues need to be supported by the able bodied as none of us know what’s around the corner
daftboy and willoL like this.

Last edited by binman; Jan 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
Why didn’t you persist in calling for assistance?
Didn’t your smartphone work ?
not very kind or empathetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.