Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR wheelchair assistance shambles (again)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Every interaction I have had with special assistance in the last few years has been a nightmare! To the extent that I am now thinking taking my own wheelchair, however can anyone tell me will they bring it back to the aircraft door at the end of the flight or will I still have to depend on Omniserve to get me to baggage claim to reclaim it? This would be a S/H in ET and a L/H in F.
It will be brought to the door at LHR but it’s Omniserves to assist you to the chair, if you don’t need their help you can dismiss them once you are in your own chair.
There are however a few stands without lifts so it isn’t 100% possible.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: BA gold
I've given up getting NoServe to help my relatives, as each time they either failed to show up at all, or take my relative to a holding point and then completely forgotten about.

Does not matter if you're in Y or F, whether you have a tight connection or one with hours and hours to spare.

I suppose I can be grateful to rely on their consistency to completely fail to provide an important and essential service.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Do you know due to the law they are not able to discriminate one customer from another so the cabin the customer travelled in is not relevant.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
I had wheelchair assistance booked at T5 inbound from NYC, shortly after tendon surgery on my ankle- sure enough, it failed to appear. We waited 30 mins or so and hobbled off without it. I made it about halfway to passport control before my ankle refused to go any further. Had to flag down a passing buggy,explain and bum a lift. Not acceptable service.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It seems like there is little accountability for Omniserve. Who can hold their feet to the fire if they are not providing the service they should? HAL?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi
It seems like there is little accountability for Omniserve. Who can hold their feet to the fire if they are not providing the service they should? HAL?
Yes HAL, and the Consumer Compliance/Enforcement team of the CAA, who do an annual review of airports' provisions for disabled passengers. The relevant committees in the House of Lords and Commons have been known to ask questions of HAL too.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Every interaction I have had with special assistance in the last few years has been a nightmare! To the extent that I am now thinking taking my own wheelchair, however can anyone tell me will they bring it back to the aircraft door at the end of the flight or will I still have to depend on Omniserve to get me to baggage claim to reclaim it? This would be a S/H in ET and a L/H in F.
Please don't do this. I did it with my father and the wheelchair was brought back broken. We did claim for a replacement but trying to borrow a replacement for my father to get home in was a nightmare.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Having travelled to/through Heathrow more than 14 times in the 18 months my experiences concur with everyone on this thread especially the OP, who have needed their help, T5-T3-T5 transfer in particular is a nightmare, i have complained numerous times to Omniserve verbally and via email and things don't change.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by red duster
Having travelled to/through Heathrow more than 14 times in the 18 months my experiences concur with everyone on this thread especially the OP, who have needed their help, T5-T3-T5 transfer in particular is a nightmare, i have complained numerous times to Omniserve verbally and via email and things don't change.
Same here - I’ve complained countless times to both Heathrow (who are legally charged with providing the servic) and Omniserve (who are the company with the contract to provide the service on behalf of Heathrow) - I have come to the conclusion that neither organisation cares.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Same here - I’ve complained countless times to both Heathrow (who are legally charged with providing the servic) and Omniserve (who are the company with the contract to provide the service on behalf of Heathrow) - I have come to the conclusion that neither organisation cares.
I know the tipping for this service has already been done to death on here but the service i get in PHL-LAS-PHX is great and its a pleasure to give them a $5 or $10 for the service, LAS in particular is fantastic.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a piece of consumer protection for this, EC1107/2006 which has been incorporated into UK law via Statutory Instrument. This does open up HAL (and its board members) to potentially unlimited fines for failure to provide the rights for assistance for disabled travellers. Realistically it would probably require the CAA or a NGO to make the legal first move, there isn't an easy way in for an individual traveller.
Stez and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by red duster
I know the tipping for this service has already been done to death on here but the service i get in PHL-LAS-PHX is great and its a pleasure to give them a $5 or $10 for the service, LAS in particular is fantastic.
You can’t tip people that don’t turn up, and you certainly wouldn’t tip someone that took over two hours to take from an international arrival to the domestic gates.
irmster, red duster, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

So the airport provides a service, how does an airport recover the cost of this service?
You could ask the same about toilet facilities in the terminal. It’s a cost of doing business.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I suspect a big part of the issue is the delay involved in getting airside security clearance for staff.
It's not like you can click your fingers and get someone to start tomorrow in that environment.
Therefore --- blame the terrorists for all ills!

Not saying that OmniServe should not allow for resignations, sickness, sickies and other things. They obviously should, and in fact over-staff them, but I'm just saying that they can't just go to Job Centre and get 20 people in to start the next day.

Maybe the regulations could be changed to require X number of wheelchair operator (and wheelchairs) per passenger for the given day based on historical data or something, plus some padding. Otherwise, things won't improve.

HAL is obviously more interested in revenue-producing activities than providing basic, essential services.

Considering their ballistic-high passenger service charge we all pay (nearly £30 per ex-LHR flight*), I personally think it's pretty appalling.

In case some of you do not realise it, HAL charges you nearly £30 to depart from it, as well as getting various other revenues. If you think BA gets £43 of your £56 ticket, they don't. HAL gets nearly £30 (+ APD of £13 goes to the government).

Therefore, we really should be pretty upset with HAL about this as fee-paying passengers that they are failing in this area. They can more than afford to pay a service provider to provide a good wheelchair service to those who genuinely need it, even before taking into account other revenues HAL have.
Stez and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 28, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

The thing that frustrates me most is that i get help at KOI-ABZ-GLA-EDI on my way to LHR without any problems, ok they are smaller airports so have less requests but have got their staff to customer numbers who need this service perfected.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.