Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 - lifestyle change !

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flatlander
....I just wish my nearest airport wasn't Stansted.....
Enjoy the increasing number of CJ weekend flights, with the occasional CE low fare.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
That being said, I dare say once msm2000uk0.5 is born, we will take full advantage of the 10% for kids fares!
Congratulations on the pending arrival.

Also be sure to book some nested itineraries either side of their 2nd birthday (I didn't quite spot this trick).

Infants who become children while travelling

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of 2 during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. We won’t charge you extra for this; you'll only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I am delighted to say I am far from new parenthood - all but one of the grandkids are now in school 🙄 A fantastically happy time for you young folks, but you know ... been there, done that... 😊

Annoyingly enough, my lifetime TPs are just over 22k so I would probably have been LTG within 3 years or so. But I think I probably value my localism more than a benefit which will no doubt be eroded as time goes by...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: GGL
I am GFL and my GGL status has been locked in until 2020 because I got caught in the IT debacle. In the first 6 months of the year I accumulated 3000 TPs

The second half of the year has been quieter and in the last 2 months I have done just the one transatlantic. How much have I have missed not having to pack a bag every Sunday or convincing myself that I slept well in 60K?

I am surprised how much I have enjoyed being at home much more and it has got me thinking about other options. I flew LHR to JFK this week which has the new club service. There have been times in my life I would have got excited about this but I didn't really feel it.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:23 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Not so much a lifestyle change as an attitude change...

The snow chaos firmly reminded us that BA care nowt about GCH. We are therefore going to stop forcing ourselves to fly BA/Oneworld and let our BA status lapse.
Doubtless we will take advantage of any QR J fares that come up, as QR is a world class airline in its own right where it matters not if one holds no status in J. It might even mean that we get to fly SQ again after 6 years.
It's time to move away from being pegged to BA / Oneworld
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by richardwft
Enjoy the increasing number of CJ weekend flights, with the occasional CE low fare.
Unfortunately they are little use to me when they are once a week. I want half-week trips, either weekends for leisure or weekday for business. Those weekly flights are for annual expeditions to the lands of the sun, not regular travel.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I can totally relate.

I did 133 flights in 2016, and will finish this year on 118 - however, the sum total of flights I have booked for next year, is currently 2.

When people say that having a baby changes your life, apparently that also includes flying!

M
Yep, this almost did for me as well, from 5 consecutive years of 100+ sectors each year on BA to single figures, then the new job where I hadn't checked the travel policy only to find out that LHR/Delhi was considered shorthaul (and therefore economy) for business travel whereas previous it had been business or F. I made my excuses and refused to fly (and found another job)

As to baby travel, trust me - the Isle of Wight and car is a whole lot easier.
msm2000uk and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
After a couple of years of 30-sector holiday travel (renewing Gold in the process) we only have 12 sectors booked so far for 2018. I must start spending more money after Christmas!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jed
Not so much a lifestyle change as an attitude change...

The snow chaos firmly reminded us that BA care nowt about GCH. We are therefore going to stop forcing ourselves to fly BA/Oneworld and let our BA status lapse.
Doubtless we will take advantage of any QR J fares that come up, as QR is a world class airline in its own right where it matters not if one holds no status in J. It might even mean that we get to fly SQ again after 6 years.
It's time to move away from being pegged to BA / Oneworld
They don’t care about anybody, that’s the thing; spreadsheet jockeys run everything and only the bottom line counts. I know that this is the same in most businesses including airlines but just do what suits you. This year I have flown with Finnair, Austrian, Swiss, Air Europa, SAS and Norwegian as well as BA and I enjoyed the Air Europa and Norwegian flights more than the BA ones. I managed to retain Silver status for 2018 (not through planning) but won’t be chasing it in 2018; I only fly short-haul European and if the BA Airbus leg room is being reduced again and it becomes more of a fight to get hand baggage into the lockers, then the airline is not for me.

I might invest in a priority pass or just spend more time in T2 Wonder Tree drinking coffee on expenses and watching aeroplanes whilst waiting for my flights.

Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Just finishing off on this thread...

Next week I will overtop 3000TPs so my GGL is locked in until Mar 8th, 2019.

The question is, absent clients funding multiple long-haul flights in J, how much of my own money (if any) should I spend to maintain status ?

I think it's likely we will take a couple of l/h holidays (one East on QR, one to South America) costing £1700-odd and pulling in 1120 TPs or so. Which gives me 3 options:
  1. Do nothing next membership year, soft landing to Silver in March 2019, coast on Silver until March 2020 (and stay Silver going forward)
  2. Aim to earn 1500TPs next membership year, costing (I guess) about £2500 and giving me Gold until March 2020, Silver until March 2021
  3. Aim to earn 3000TPs next membership year, costing (I guess) about £5000 and giving me Gold until March 2020, Silver until March 2021
(3) has a marginal cost of c.£2500 over (2) and gets me FLounge, GGL Line, Jokers and a GUF2
(2) has a marginal cost of c.£800over (1) and gets me FLounge

My personal belief is that BAEC will go revenue-based (or very close to) within the next 3 years.

Logically then, (2) makes the most sense, as I don't value the GGL Line, Jokers and GUF collectively at anything like £1700!!

(2) feels about right emotionally too.... Yes, definitely - (2) as a plan then see how things go

Sorry, bit of a stream of consciousness above

Last edited by OverTheHorizon; Dec 20, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flatlander
Unfortunately they are little use to me when they are once a week. I want half-week trips, either weekends for leisure or weekday for business. Those weekly flights are for annual expeditions to the lands of the sun, not regular travel.
May be one way on CJ and the other way on a different airline to or from STN.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 20, 2017 at 11:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.