Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'First Section' on Dreamliner on MAD-LHR route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'First Section' on Dreamliner on MAD-LHR route

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
Cool 'First Section' on Dreamliner on MAD-LHR route

morning all

I have been led to believe that as there are only two classes on short-haul flights, BA461 being a 787, the "first class" cabin is open to Gold card holders. Now I am only silver but travelling with a friend who is Gold, who did a "dummy booking" on this service and at the seats stage was able to select the front section. However when I made a proper booking (on Avios) the front wasn't available. This wasn't surprising, I expected this to be the case, and then my friend would be able to go into MMB and use his Gold powers to move the seats. However even for him the front section is blocked out. He has called the call centre on 3 occasions and each time got a slightly different answer, but in all boiling down to the front section being unavailable. When asked "but why can I book it myself" the answer was "well if you did pick a seat there we would move you!"

So my question is: Does anyone here have experience of this service, and know whether this section is likely to be opened up nearer the time, or only if the flight is full? Or just BA I.T. system being awkward, and to try again next week? Obviously this is not essential but it would be nice way to end as it will probably be my last flight on BA.

Cheers
TT
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:46 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I think it's all a bit random whether you get to sit up there.

We flew to Madrid last April in CE on the 4 class 777 and on the way out, the F cabin was closed off as there weren't enough customers to use it. Once board, the CSM and captain moved a party of 4-5 on a 'Hen do' have sole use of the F cabin.
On the way back, the plane was rammed but despite this, at check in, we were told we 'weren't on the list' to be eligible for a move up to the F cabin (2 gold card adults, 1 gold card child plus one infant). On board, there were 3 empty seats in the F cabin so upon asking the CSM, we were kindly moved up and enjoyed 1A,2A,3A. The CSM told us they were using F cabin seats for those who checked in last without seat assignments, irrespective of status etc.

I went to MAD on work business last week and went out on the 789. At check in I was able to select 2F in the F cabin but by the time I got to the airport, my seat had been changed to row 7 (in the J cabin) and on board, it was clear that there was no one in F. CE was about 60% full.

So my conclusion is that it is somewhat random as to who gets to sit up in F (a bit like the BA op up system). It's not just all on status.
travellingtechie likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When’s your flight TT?

With the 787s being taken out of service for engine repairs I can see the MAD service suffering from aircraft swap over the coming months.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: ECH Gold
The official line on this is if a 4 class aircraft operates
the route then the F cabin will only be used if the amount of Club customers exceeds the amount of seats in the Club and probably WTP cabins.

Golds etc may be able to select seats in F however will be moved back to the Club cabin if as I mentioned the amount of customers does not exceed the seats for that cabin.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
I booked this in August hoping I would get the chance to fly the F cabin. Booked club Europe on the way out and was allocated row 10. Flying ET on the way back. Got the seat change to row 2 at the gate on the way out and unbelievably got upgraded to CE on the way back and made it to row 3!! Both flights were on a Saturday during school holidays, myself gold and partner silver. I guess it all depends on flight load and status. Good luck!
By the way they were both Avios redemptions!!

Last edited by Finavia; Dec 10, 2017 at 10:30 am Reason: Spellings
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I agree, in my experience it’s random as to who sits in the F section. On the two occasions I’ve happened to ask I was told that there didn’t seem to be any correlation at all regarding status, quite the opposite in fact!

Edit: I’ve never had the option to choose a seat in the F section either, despite the flights I’ve been on being full, and frequently looking the few days before the flight. For assorted reasons, I do tend to book through IB though, I don’t now if that makes any difference. These were bought CE tickets, and not cheap ones!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
When’s your flight TT?

With the 787s being taken out of service for engine repairs I can see the MAD service suffering from aircraft swap over the coming months.
Ah, didn't realise, thanks for the warning. Flying in January.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Cheers,
TT
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Hi all.
The flight is tomorrow. Currently at Heathrow for the outbound. The front section did open up and we have boarding cards printed for the inbound (the check in agent just printed both without asking). What's the likelihood of being pushed back now?
Cheers
TT
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:13 am

The flight seems to be lightly loaded- J9 C7 D4 R9 I9 in biz- though four seats are selected in F

I would expect to be moved back at some point...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I’m flying LHR-MAD tomorrow and have just been pushed back to the Club seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.