Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you will be OK for 21:30, particularly since you will be using the First check-in area. That message is exactly the one that tells you that you have a bit more time, and very handy to get such a message too.
Er, no. First Check In is an absolute zoo this evening!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

If your flight is cancelled then there is no reason why you cannot go home and claim a refund later when resources are less strained.
(1) I cannot get out of the airside of the airport, from CCR to immigration is estimated to be 3 hours.
(2) my home is seattle, at this point if BA would send me there I would gladly go.

No joke, this is “Terminal:CCR Edition”

i cannot get out of here.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

If your flight is cancelled then there is no reason why you cannot go home and claim a refund later when resources are less strained.
People can't get out of T5! The queue to leave is insane. A lot of people are waiting it out in the CCR. T5 is a total shambles this evening. Information is poor and BA are understaffed.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:35 pm

Am flying to Basel tomorrow morning from Heathrow, they've already cancelled two of the four flights tomorrow but the 7.40am is still showing on time at the moment so fingers crossed. First time flying at a time when everything has gone to pot so I'm looking forward to it
adrianlondon likes this.

Originally Posted by seattle29
BA555 from Rome FCO diverting to Edinburgh - that's a long way from home for Londoners!
Currently still scheduled to make an attempt to go to London tonight. Would be a real pain for those intending to travel FCO-LHR-EDI if they cannot get off at EDI.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Er, no. First Check In is an absolute zoo this evening!
Hi,

Is that LHR you are referring to as C-W-S was responding to YClass who is leaving from JFK later tonight?

Regards

TBS
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stephem

(1) I cannot get out of the airside of the airport, from CCR to immigration is estimated to be 3 hours.
(2) my home is seattle, at this point if BA would send me there I would gladly go.

No joke, this is “Terminal:CCR Edition”

i cannot get out of here.
See TonyHancock's post, it seems the bottle neck is A19/20 which has been opened to allow passengers to go down to passport control. How about you just head to the transit and stay on at T5C. Sounds like passport control itself is not too bad.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lolbert
People can't get out of T5! The queue to leave is insane. A lot of people are waiting it out in the CCR. T5 is a total shambles this evening. Information is poor and BA are understaffed.
It seems the queue for A19/20 is bad, but what if you miss that and just go on the transit to T5C and back? Would that be quicker?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by binman
BA continues to provide absolutely no service, no service recover and simply abdicates its responsibilities to passengers.

This weather event was forecast back as far back as Wednesday / Thursday with the BBC weather man sating specifically that although it forecast to remain to the north of High Wycombe it would not take much to shift it. 22 miles is surely sufficiently close Heathrow for the countries main airport to justify preparing for it!

I appreciate that many on here will defend BA to the death but in the real world there are passengers stuck on aircraft for 5 hours without so much as a coffee. BAs Twitter feed is full of complaints and the best they can post is "sorry for the inconvenience". As the passenger stuck on an aircraft for 5 hours states....with not even a cup of coffee in that time... its more than a inconvenience.

Others point to BA again refusing to pay for hotels or offer what is their legal obligation to provide.

Between BA and Heathrow airport, it continues to be a national embarrassment that an inch of snow can cause so much disruption at Heathrow.

The best tweet so far is a request from a passengers asking BA if the ca provide some
"pile cream" as he has been sat on his arse for hours. He says a free coffee would have helped but even that he has to pay for.....Shocking and unforgivable once again from BA where to fly would useful, but to serve unheard of.
Originally Posted by gms
While I don't hold BA accountable for the cause of the disruption, once again I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments about the pathetic state of BA's IT systems (Apps and Website) and its inability to provide tools customers can actually use to efficiently self-serve.

My flight this afternoon was cancelled, I get a message telling me I have been automatically re-booked onto a flight tomorrow morning. I go online and it gives me the option to "Accept" or see other flight options. I click to see other flight options and I get an error. I try again and this time click "Accept", same error ... I need to call BA. So I call BA, but they say I need to call my travel agent. I call my travel agent and they say the new flight is all confirmed and I should be able to check-in. Back to BA.com and still get the same message. After 4 calls to BA, I found I could actually check-in online without clicking "Accept".

So rather than making my life more efficient, or taking the burden off the call centres, BA's systems have actually had the opposite effect and increased the volume of calls to the call centres and wasted a lot of my time. Why can't BA invest in decent, tested systems that are capable of handling such events? They happen multiple times each year, so there must be a valid business case for getting this right.
Originally Posted by dylanks

The 2010 Snowpocalypse is what actually led me to give up my flat in London and significantly reduce the time I spend in the UK. Of course people here in Phoenix today are complaining that it's cold when it's going to be 24C!

Originally Posted by binman
I live very close to LHR and can assure you there has been very little snow, a dusting I would call it. Many parts of the UK are facing significant issues but it was all very well forecast. There is absolutely no comparison to the snowpocalype, as you put it, of 2010. (great phrase by the way)
Originally Posted by 13900
Amen. It's been a tits-up of epical proportions, for just a little slush. And it's stopped snowing hours ago. HAL and BA are to fault; HAL for having seemingly failed to use the hundreds of pieces of kit they've got stored at both runways ends, T5C and other places; BA for having done exactly the same with the de-icing rigs. Meanwhile, not far south, BA LGW had 2 cancellations, both AMS flights. Two.

The 2011/12 and '13 disruption were caused by lack of equipment. This one cannot possibly be so, and it's not good enough to blame the weatherman. It just isn't.
Originally Posted by 13900
The Piccadilly Line has promptly fallen to pieces but, again, it was less than an inch of slush. I've been in Bosnia, Hungary, Central Asia in winter, during serious snowstorms, and yet the airports worked. LHR just dies at the sight of a snowflake, or even at the threat of one (anyone remember last year's "thundersnow"?).
Originally Posted by stephem
As already said upthread... This is a disaster and BA are totally unprepared for this.

Nobody is doing anything to rebook us, the organization has completely broken down. At this point they should just send me home and refund my ticket.
Originally Posted by TonyHancock
The staff did not seem to be getting much information or support but were trying desperately to help. The GGL team got me sorted but they were in the dark for a while.

It was hard work getting out, mainly because pax were blocking gate 19 and 20 asking questions rather than just heading out. Passport control was not too bad if you had access to the automatic gates........but yes thank god for the CCR.
First of all, sorry for all the people stuck (including some friends trying to get to ATH from LHR!). I do not blame BA entirely for this, or necessarily the usual incompetence of the UK when you have a few drops of snow. This thread and the events today just go to show that LHR is operating at full capacity at the best of times without any margin for any event, so any 'small, normal for this time of year' weather issue causes absolute apocalypse.

Quite simply, I am begging for 2 new runways at LHR and a lot more space. It would have made today's weather an almost non-event.

Anyway this does not help people stuck right now, so I hope everyone keeps calm and carrys on!
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, given the extent of the disruption and the number of FT members affected, can we please ask for this thread NOT be diverted by tangential and off-topic interjections.

the Mod team
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tiesto
Am flying to Basel tomorrow morning from Heathrow, they've already cancelled two of the four flights tomorrow but the 7.40am is still showing on time at the moment so fingers crossed. First time flying at a time when everything has gone to pot so I'm looking forward to it

Welcome to Flyertalk tiesto, and welcome to the BA forum. I hope you're not the real Tiësto, since 07:40 would be rather early for him! He was definitely a GCH at one point, and probably GGL or above. I would assume tomorrow's flight is going to be tricky so indeed a wry detachment from the probable hassles may make it a slightly easier experience. Welcome on board, and good luck tomorrow.....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Is that LHR you are referring to as C-W-S was responding to YClass who is leaving from JFK later tonight?

Regards

TBS
Sorry, yes, I was referring to T5
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:45 pm

Meanwhile... checking in from BOH. Still onboard three hours after landing. They seem to have "negotiated" arrangements to offload passengers into the terminal (not sure how they're addressing customs/immigration in that case). They are doing this with the ONE airport coach that operates airside. They've gotten one of the four planes unloaded. We don't know if we're next.

Their further plan is to coach us from here to... HEATHROW. No idea how long it will take them to sort it, whether our bags will come as well (they do have some baggage handlers trying to take care of that) or just how long it will take once they fold us into coaches. Somewhat impossible to imagine we'll arrive before the wee hours of the morning, given how much they're trying to do here with how little.

Yet that's not my biggest concern - knowing what Heathrow is like right now, what are we supposed to do once we get there in the middle of the night/early morning? Unless we could be assured of smooth operation tomorrow, that almost seems the worst place they could take a large number of us.

They did announce that we were free to make our own arrangements if we didn't want to be coached to LHR, and there are some places I would stay either here or in London or in between as I try to assess the situation tomorrow, but unless anyone knows where to strike up a regiment of taxis or private drivers at BOH around 22:00 on a Sunday, I don't know what I can do from here either.

I know many of these issues are obviously unforeseen, and don't at all want to come across as whingeing (I'm really trying not to), but it's hard for me to fathom how what was reported to be some pretty minor snow this morning has made so much go so extraordinarily pear-shaped for so very, very many.

Over and out for now...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems the queue for A19/20 is bad, but what if you miss that and just go on the transit to T5C and back? Would that be quicker?
No idea, I'm trying to get to JFK! Good suggestion though.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
How long before Alex brings out his fluorescent jacket to apologise for the abject weather conditions...and to remind us that the issues are Heathrows and not BAs?

How bad have the cancellations been on non-BA services out of the other LHR Terminals?

M
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.