Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two aborted takeoffs on BA174 30 Nov 17

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by expataus
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We had a couple of decent meals in town, saw Winter Wonderland, and a bit of window shopping on Oxford and Regent St. I wanted to also see the Design Museum, but Mrs. Expataus was less keen.
I also drank too many flat whites, in and around Fitzrovia to try and stay awake, although having put my Winter coat into checked luggage, the weather did a decent job of keeping me alert as well. Back in T5 and about to head to my next flight, here's hoping the luggage sensor on this plane either works, or has been removed as well.
Sounds good. The delay is a bit of a pain but a day's shopping always goes better with €1200 of BA compensation in hand.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
A pilot's perspective on this would be welcome, but my impression was that the autobrake would be likely both to start first and to do most of the work of deceleration. IIRC, despite all the sound and fury, reverse thrust is a relatively minor contributor to stopping in these circumstances.

And baflyer999's description of the gap between the first and second attempts suggests that the first RTO was at a low speed, otherwise time would have been needed for the brakes to cool.
I think from memory autobtake RTO is only active above around 85kts so if it was low speed it may have been on the toe brakes and reversers only, and reverses don't contribute too much.

As you say, would be good to have an expert view.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by expataus
Yes, on both occasions they announced crew to be seated, we turned onto the runway, full acceleration followed by hard breaking, sitting on the runway for another minute or two, and then turning and exiting the runway. Don't believe the front wheel ever made it off the ground, and everyone got a good jolt each time.
That would be correct,as Vr follows V1 in almost all cases.So by rotation speed it is too late to stop.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think from memory autobtake RTO is only active above around 85kts so if it was low speed it may have been on the toe brakes and reversers only, and reverses don't contribute too much.

As you say, would be good to have an expert view.
That was a question on the type rating exam,and I have a feeling it was rather lower than that,perhaps 60 knots,but I cant remember for sure.

Most airlines teach close thrust levers/brakes then speed brakes then thrust reversers.that being the order of retardation effect.Thrust reversers contribute lots of noise..

Size 12 boots work ok if the rto function is not armed at low speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.