Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

BA security checks at Muscat

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
The final check is there as per UK rules AFAIK.

I agree; it's annoying not to be able to take liquids past it and I've seen families with baby food caught out on this one before.

Almost all other international flights out of MCT are allowed to take liquids onto the plane brought in the duty free - it's only those couple gates at the bottom with the extra security and as far as I'm aware it's only to UK and a couple of other destinations (same happens when you fly on Oman Air as well).

Having spent many months working at the new MCT terminal dealing & with the security services out there I can say I'm thankful for the extra security procedures in place down at the UK flights gate. It's significantly more stringent than the "normal security" everyone else goes through with staff trained to a very different standard.
I always felt slightly less safe going anywhere else from MCT. Completely unjustified I'm sure but when it comes to airline security in the Middle East it's best not to screw about.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:55 am
Original Poster

deleted

Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
I experienced this earlier in the year - another scanner at the entrance to the gate. It looked like a permanent fixture for that particular gate and we were not allowed to take liquids into the gate.

However I did manage to get to drink a can just inside the gate and then had to throw the other two in the bin. If I had bought duty free I would have been fuming (then would have attempted to take it back to the shop for a refund:-)).

BA Holidays | Muscat | Shangri-La Al Waha | CW/WTP

"Warning – we had no duty free so cannot comment on that but no drinks were allowed to be taken into the holding pen (gate 17). I checked with the guy at the kiosk very close to our gate (before we went through) and he wasn’t aware of this rule. The can of Fanta from the “lounge” had to be left behind. If you’re buying duty free – confirm at the till that you can take it through to London!"
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've had the same with WY at the gate a few times en route to London, so as has already been said upthread, it is a UK restriction opposed to a BA one.

M
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Flying out of MCT in September I just put my sealed bottle of water, purchased at the duty free, in the tray. It was allowed through without any further questioning from the security staff...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by markle
Thanks for the detailed reply. Is it too much to hope for that the new terminal will have a separate 'Heightened screening' gate area with at least a bottled water vending machine?
The new terminal (when it eventually opens ) will have a very different passenger experience from the current one.

From what I'm aware in most cases there shouldn't be additional security screening before UK flights. One of the benefits of the new terminal being architected and implemented largely by American and British companies (with a bit of French thrown in for good measure) is that security standards should be in line with most of the western world and additional screening at the gate wont be required.

Of course that may change if they fail to pass audits etc but sure; once BA goes over to the new terminal you can buy all the liquids you like in the departures area and take them onto the plane.
It's a very impressive departure and lounge area as well I should add. Even when flying on someone like BA there the overall experience is almost Flounge-like for gold passengers. I'll fire some pictures up when I get a chance.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by BAW2
f I had bought duty free I would have been fuming (then would have attempted to take it back to the shop for a refund:-))."
Duty free in the sealed bag is allowed down to gate 17.
Make sure it's in the sealed bag though with receipt inside.

If the security staff kick off (very very unlikely) about it go to the agent doing the BP scan and ask her to bring down the ROP security commander for the gate and he should come down and educate the staff member concerned.

There are many reports of sealed water bottles being taken on board as well but if its unsealed or coke or something then you stand less of a chance of getting it through.

The inconsistencies seen at even the highest security level gate in MCT give you a good indication as to how things are done at the main security beforehand.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.