Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outgoing Passport Control Delays at LIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Outgoing Passport Control Delays at LIN

I have been warned by BA to arrive at LIN 90 minutes before departure because of passport control delays. I wonder if anyone had any recent experience of this and more importantly whether there is a fast track which might cut the time down?

Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by hsmall
I have been warned by BA to arrive at LIN 90 minutes before departure because of passport control delays. I wonder if anyone had any recent experience of this and more importantly whether there is a fast track which might cut the time down?

Thanks a lot!
Not LIN, but I had a similar message in early November for LIS. Passport control was busier than one might expect, so I saw the reason for BA’s message, but we were through the EU passports channel inside 15 mins.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by hsmall

Thanks a lot!
The lounge is before passport control, so you go when they call you, wasn't a queue recently but that was a Sunday afternoon
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

No fast track at passports I’m afraid however there’s no need to worry as you’ll normally find 3/4 manned booths at peak times, meaning a maximum waiting time ranging between 10 and 15 minutes, or that’s at least what I’ve been experiencing so far. That said, I’d leave some extra time if you’re booked on the 3:35PM service to Heathrow, mostly considering that there will be a couple of other flights (AZ to LCY, U2 to LGW and Blue Air to Bucharest if memory serves right) departing from the very same area (which can indeed get extremely crowded).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Nov 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by E14 26C
The lounge is before passport control, so you go when they call you, wasn't a queue recently but that was a Sunday afternoon
You can also see the queue from the lounge and judge it for yourself, but the BA lounge agents will make it clear when it is time to go, and the gate agents will spot if any lounge users are working their way through. There isn't much scope to miss you flight, the gap between lounge / passports / bus gate is very short. Half a dozen people in front of you means 2 or 3 minutes.
justforfun likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I got the same message at LIS last weekend. I left the lounge early as a result and passport control was completely deserted. Just walked right up. Seems to me like they are just sending this out by default.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TonyVD
I got the same message at LIS last weekend. I left the lounge early as a result and passport control was completely deserted. Just walked right up. Seems to me like they are just sending this out by default.
There was this thread from the summer when the new Schengen controls were introduced, there were a few bad experiences reported in the press but mostly it was sorted out (and a few airports sought derogations). I wonder if it is a lingering message from that time:

Emigration control delays from some European airports
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
This does indeed seem to be an automated message that was introduced over the summer, as c-w-s said. I've flown out of Linate half a dozen times since then and never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. There are three or four booths, which give you access to the non-Schengen part of Linate which only has I think four gates. And most passengers seem to be Europeans so the checks are generally pretty rapid.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
No fast track at passports I’m afraid
Generally true except for IST, where fast track passport control is the only benefit provided - except for a shabby lounge.

LIN is often a problem for the reasons you describe - a cluster of non-Schengen flights at the same time can quickly cause a long queue.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC
I missed a TAP flight on Sunday from LIS because of this. The board didn't say go to gate until 45 min before, which wasn't enough time to get through the queue. TAP took no responsibility, charged me for a new ticket and suggested I complain to the airport
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Well there were no queues at either security or passport control. I think BA should be a little more discriminating in putting out these alerts. Thanks all for engaging.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
BA can't win here; if they don't send an alert then everyone will complain if the queue is long.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SCSA
I missed a TAP flight on Sunday from LIS because of this. The board didn't say go to gate until 45 min before, which wasn't enough time to get through the queue. TAP took no responsibility, charged me for a new ticket and suggested I complain to the airport
The national governments of the EU member states are the primary party most directly responsible for the mess that has come about at passport control checkpoints in the Schengen zone. If the government decided to increase staffing of passport checking personnel and to cut back on in-bound and out-bound electronic checks of those with prima facie evidence of being legally present in the Schengen area, things would go way faster than they do currently and arguably could be made to be no more of a systemic "security" risk than before.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had a similar message last week re MAD. Said leave an hour for exiting passport control after the T4S shuttle; was through in 2 minutes. Luckily the very decent lounge is after this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.