Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced compensation as First passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The question is whether the return all checked luggage back to the warehouse and start again, or simply transfer the AKEs over to the new aircraft direct and fish out one or two exceptions if necessary. As soon as you have people in the wild you loose control of the checked baggage situation and it can become almost impossible to reconcile. No perfect answer unfortunately.
Yes but all you're saying here is 'we can't let anyone leave as we may have to find their bag'. That's why I asked above whether pax were given the option to deplane individually and abandon the flight. I think for a tarmac delay of 6+ hours, that surely must be an option.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Thus the only issue is that releasing them early creates more risk that they'll not return to board the new aircraft in time, than does releasing them only when the new aircraft is ready. I can understand the logic of that when the delay is short, but I think that there gets to a point where that practice is unacceptable. In my view holding pax in the aircraft on the ground for 6 hours is simply too long and unacceptable - even if it is the most efficient solution for a majority of pax to get them there that night.
Isn't there a risk here of unreasonably using hindsight? While many people would agree with you that it would raise eyebrows to make a single decision to keep everyone on board for six hours when they could be in the terminal instead. But we don't know the nature of the problem, the information that was available at various times, the timeline of the search for and preparation of the replacement aircraft, and so on. It may be that at any time, nobody thought that the passengers would be on board the broken aircraft for more than (say) another 90 minutes or so, with a bus transfer direct from aircraft to aircraft being the most efficient way of doing this (can you imagine giving 300 people instructions on how to use the walkways to get from T5C back to T5A?), but rolling problems meant a rolling increase in the delay. We simply don't know what the decision-making timeline was on the day.

I think I've had three long BA delays because a replacement aircraft was needed. On two occasions, this was discovered before boarding commenced, and so boarding never commenced. On the third occasion, the fault was discovered during taxi, and there was a rolling delay while successive attempts were made to resolve the problem, both before and after returning to the gate. At all times, the hope was that we could get going again within 30-45 minutes if the next repair attempt succeeded, but in the end we were on board for about four hours before the flight was finally cancelled (as we had hit the curfew that evening).
Originally Posted by Can I help you
A few points, what was the date of your flight, I would be very surprised if the flight was “nearly 7 hours late arriving”, the crews duty would have already been 12.45 without a delay, taking a delay this long out of base wouldn’t be possible?
FWIW, it looks like the OP may have been on BA275 on 11 November. Scheduled 1550-1830. Actual time of departure 2201 (6:11 behind schedule), actual time of arrival 0048 (6:18 behind schedule).
That's why I asked above whether pax were given the option to deplane individually and abandon the flight.
I would be astonished if, had anyone had asked to abandon their journey, they would have been prevented from doing so. You don't need to get as far as 261/2004 to get to that position, but I think that 261/2004 provides a definitive answer anyway.

I think that in a situation like this, though, it's pretty rare to find someone who wants to abandon the trip - at least, that is my experience.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I struggle to find any sympathy when you complain that the meal was 'completely ruined' just because there was no alcohol available.

10k miles does have a considerable value - they would cost you £175 to buy
I find 10,000 very stingy, they might sell for £175 but they’ll only get you around £70 off a future flight.

The €600 was paid as this is legislation, the actual comp of £70 of value for a cash paid First seat for the above problems is a disgrace. Agreed you won’t likely get much more, however I believe it should be significantly more. Three years ago I got £450 evoucher for a dodgy (potentially dangerous...) plug in First or 50,000 Avios. I found the evoucher very generous.

BA compensation is truly dire
lordgaino likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't there a risk here of unreasonably using hindsight? While many people would agree with you that it would raise eyebrows to make a single decision to keep everyone on board for six hours when they could be in the terminal instead. But we don't know the nature of the problem, the information that was available at various times, the timeline of the search for and preparation of the replacement aircraft, and so on. It may be that at any time, nobody thought that the passengers would be on board the broken aircraft for more than (say) another 90 minutes or so, with a bus transfer direct from aircraft to aircraft being the most efficient way of doing this (can you imagine giving 300 people instructions on how to use the walkways to get from T5C back to T5A?), but rolling problems meant a rolling increase in the delay. We simply don't know what the decision-making timeline was on the day.
Which is exactly why the US has regulated to enforce deplaning after 3 hours. I'm no expert on how that plays out in practice and no doubt on particular occasions it can create more inconvenience than benefit, but there is a good reason for it.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Yes correct, I was on BA275 on 11/11.

The delay was initially two hours whilst they looked for another plane. When the new plane was located, it was decided a further four hours would be required to prep the aircraft. At that point we were told that they had to serve dinner since without doing that the crew would be unable to rest sufficiently to meet their obligations. We went along with it, since what other choice did we have. Again, the crew were superb in the difficult circumstances.

A number of PAX asked to get off the plane and were convinced otherwise by the crew, who rightly pointed out that you might as well hang around and see what happens. It was a Saturday afternoon flight to Vegas - most people had plans for when the plane arrived on the other side and alternative direct flights are minimal.

With hindsight its hard to see what more they could have done at the time, with the obvious exception of opening the bars on the planes... maybe they were concerned people would get too drunk with a six hour delay and another 11 hours in the sky.

I guess I feel that given the significant sum paid for the ticket (which to me is a lot of money and was a treat to myself), being confined to a plane for six hours and the fact that I missed a whole evening of a very short trip, that EUR600 doesn't exactly cut it.

I don't suggest for one minute that this isn't a high class problem, but if I had been traveling economy then the compensation would represent pretty much a full refund. In my case, it represents basically a small discount on the fare.

It particularly irks me, since I recently had to attempt to change a different ticket to a another date for early next year and they refused to help me out. Yet when there is a problem that is their fault, they also refuse to help you out.

Oh well, c'est la vie.
710 77345 and dougzz like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Which is exactly why the US has regulated to enforce deplaning after 3 hours. I'm no expert on how that plays out in practice and no doubt on particular occasions it can create more inconvenience than benefit, but there is a good reason for it.
I don't know the precise policy, but on BA if you can physically leave the aircraft (so connected to the airbridge etc) then you won't be barred from leaving. In extremis captains will authorise an airbridge to be reattached if someone is insistent. That said they are not going to advertise that service and they may certainly dissuade you, but you won't be stopped. If you make a nuisance of yourself in so doing it may not place you in a good position for being rebooked, but if there were good reasons why overnighting is best (health issues) then it would be accommodated. It's not to be done lightly, without going into the details there are quite significant implications if someone offloads, which can easily lead to flight cancellations.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lordgaino
It particularly irks me, since I recently had to attempt to change a different ticket to a another date for early next year and they refused to help me out. Yet when there is a problem that is their fault, they also refuse to help you out.
That bit is (in my opinion) addressed by the CRA, but you have to do like with like here: so if you had wanted off the service and rebooked to the next day, BA would not be in a position to fall back on their one-sided conditions of carriage any more. But to cross-position [drinks with a meal] to the [fare rules and conditions] isn't realistic in a large airline in my opinion.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't the US rule simply after three hours (or four hours for an international flight) you have the right to disembark if/when the aircraft can be safely positioned to allow you to do so? AIUI, it is not a rule to "enforce deplaning" in the sense that the airline must tip all passengers off. And AIUI the time only begins to run when passengers can no longer freely disembark, which would seem broadly to correspond to pushback, and opting to disembark would not entitle you to rebooking except in accordance with your fare rules.

If the OP's flight was still at the gate, it would seem that even the US rule would not have been violated if (as c-w-s says) nobody would have been prevented from disembarking if they did not want to travel.

I can think of situations in which I have been when it would have been an enormous inconvenience to have required everyone to disembark after three hours. The most recent one would have resulted in a 24-hour delay to my journey. As in the OP's situation, the compromise that was reached meant that the crew were still able to operate a flight for which they would otherwise have gone out of hours.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I find 10,000 very stingy, they might sell for £175 but they’ll only get you around £70 off a future flight.

The €600 was paid as this is legislation, the actual comp of £70 of value for a cash paid First seat for the above problems is a disgrace. Agreed you won’t likely get much more, however I believe it should be significantly more. Three years ago I got £450 evoucher for a dodgy (potentially dangerous...) plug in First or 50,000 Avios. I found the evoucher very generous.

BA compensation is truly dire
No, the EC 261/2004 compensation is what the EC has determined the delay ought to yield to the passenger. BA is not under any obligation to pay out customer service gestures above what the law requires.

The Regulation may well be a shambles and have become what it was never intended to become, but that is on the EC and the ECJ, not on the carriers subjected to nanny rules.

Perhaps BA ought to pay more to those crammed into WT than those relaxing in F? What is fair and right has been selected for BA and its customers.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't the US rule simply after three hours (or four hours for an international flight) you have the right to disembark if/when the aircraft can be safely positioned to allow you to do so? AIUI, it is not a rule to "enforce deplaning" in the sense that the airline must tip all passengers off. And AIUI the time only begins to run when passengers can no longer freely disembark, which would seem broadly to correspond to pushback, and opting to disembark would not entitle you to rebooking except in accordance with your fare rules.

If the OP's flight was still at the gate, it would seem that even the US rule would not have been violated if (as c-w-s says) nobody would have been prevented from disembarking if they did not want to travel.
As I understand, an important part of the US rule is that the airline is required to notify passengers every 30 minutes that they are free to deplane. This is reflected in the published policies of all the major carriers, e.g. AA's below:

Originally Posted by AA
Notify passengers on a delayed flight beginning 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time (including any revised departure time that passengers were notified about before boarding) and every 30 minutes thereafter that they have the opportunity to deplane from an aircraft that is at the gate or another disembarkation area with the door open, if the opportunity to deplane actually exists.
The definition of tarmac delay also covers the period prior to doors closing if the passengers have not been advised they are free to deplane.

Originally Posted by US Act
(3) TARMAC DELAY.—The term ‘tarmac delay’ means the period during which passengers are on board an aircraft on the tarmac—(A) awaiting takeoff after the aircraft doors have been closed or after passengers have been boarded if the passengers have not been advised they are free to deplane
In my view this is very important. Passengers should be told of the right to deplane and can then make a choice as to whether to wait it out or give up and make other arrangements. Most will naturally wait it out, even if it drags on for hours and hours. However from the OP's description it seems that passengers on his flight were not generally given, or were not aware they had, the choice to leave (although a few who pro-actively asked were ultimately convinced to stay).

Last edited by Ldnn1; Nov 26, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my view this is very important. Passengers should be told of the right to deplane and can then make a choice as to whether to wait it out or give up and make other arrangements. Most will naturally wait it out, even if it drags on for hours and hours. However from the OP's description it seems that many on his flight were not given, or were not aware they had, the choice to leave.
If that is the only difference between what the US rule requires and what happened on the OP's flight, that is in context only a detail.

It would have been different if the situation had been that at which the US tarmac delay rule was aimed, which was flights which had pushed back and were stranded for hours on the airfield somewhere between the terminal and takeoff.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I broadly agree with the others on the compensation point. However I don't understand why you were kept onboard for that length of time if they knew you were going to have to deplane anyway. It sounds like that decision was driven by the calculation that if crew served the meal on the ground they could make it to LAS without going OOH. While I appreciate that for many (but certainly not all) passengers, getting to LAS that night would have been preferable to having to wait until next day, in my view that length of tarmac delay is simply unacceptable and indeed is not permitted in the US. Did they offer pax the opportunity to deplane if they wanted? I would sincerely hope so.

Welcome to Flyertalk by the way, lordgaino!
I believe that the US rule is just that pax must be given the opportunity to get off after three hours. If departure seems imminent then they are often persuaded not to exercise that option so it would seem that BA would have been compliant in this case. What we don't know is how soon BA knew how long the delay would be, though at some point they knew it was long enough to serve dinner.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You win some you lose with with EU261. Unfortunately for people in First the 600EUR doesn't seem all that generous, but it's not too bad for someone on a cheapo ticket down the back. Obviously BA could do more, but with some discretionary miles in your direction I think you've done as well as could be expected.
LTN Phobia and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Unfortunately for people in First the 600EUR doesn't seem all that generous, but it's not too bad for someone on a cheapo ticket down the back.
The inconvenience of a delayed departure is the same no matter how much the ticket cost and which cabin the passenger is sitting in, and I see no reason why the level of compensation should relate to the fare paid.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Misco60
The inconvenience of a delayed departure is the same no matter how much the ticket cost and which cabin the passenger is sitting in, and I see no reason why the level of compensation should relate to the fare paid.
I think one could argue it both ways, but what's most relevant is what the regulation actually is, as BA will understandably be operating within the context of that environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.