Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced compensation as First passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I can understand your disappointment of not having wine with your meal but the bars were still loaded and full and available inflight for you to enjoy, the aircraft was fully catered and even if there was only one crewmember looking after First they would have been able to offer you a nice if slow service.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Vegas flights are known to be ‘party flights’ and it wouldn’t surprise me if the decision not to serve alcohol on the ground was deliberate to prevent ‘issues’ after departure. I suspect that decision was taken by the Captain/CSM.
lordgaino likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If that is the only difference between what the US rule requires and what happened on the OP's flight, that is in context only a detail.

It would have been different if the situation had been that at which the US tarmac delay rule was aimed, which was flights which had pushed back and were stranded for hours on the airfield somewhere between the terminal and takeoff.
IIRC some of the incidents leading up to the USA's tarmac delay regulations involved long, sometimes, fourteen hour, delays at arrival when aircraft would land during a weather event and be unable to park at a gate.

IME when the aircraft does approach the three hour rule and return to the terminal from a takeoff line (or a penalty box when there's been a WX/ATC hold for the route), a few passengers do tend to take the option to deplane. In many cases, the flight is cancelled anyway, sometimes as the three hour threshold for a big penalty payment to the government approaches.

I would expect USA carriers to be willing to do free rebookings when someone opts to leave the aircraft, but of course availability can be an issue and often cannot be checked before deplaning has occurred, although FFers now know how to use EF and similar tools from cell phones (which again IME tend to be allowed during tarmac delays, especially if the aircraft isn't on an active runway or slowly progressing in a takeoff line). However, rebooking onto another carrier, even a partner, is likely to be resisted by airline staff unless the delay is the carrier's fault and/or a high level FF/CIP is involved.

FWIW, I'm personally opposed to the tarmac delay regulation as IMO it tends to lead to excess cancellations near three hours, including of flights that otherwise would have departed during the three to four hour interval. I'd prefer airlines to have more discretion here to use their own best judgment, but be subject to penalties to be paid TO PASSENGERS when the airlines' decisions are egregious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.