Search

CX BKK- HKG , BA HKG-LHR checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SPG
CX BKK- HKG , BA HKG-LHR checked baggage

Hi,

I am travelling later this week on a BA F redemption from HKG-LHR.

I am in currently in Bangkok and will book a BKK-HKG flight on CX.

Will they be willing to check my baggage straight through to LHR so I don't need to collect and recheck at HKG? If they did and I experienced a delay that meant I missed my HKG-LHR flight would I be rebooked or would I lose the segment?

I understand that BA do not do this but I hoped CX might be a bit kinder?!

thanks,

M
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by m1mwkerr
Hi,

Will they be willing to check my baggage straight through to LHR so I don't need to collect and recheck at HKG? If they did and I experienced a delay that meant I missed my HKG-LHR flight would I be rebooked or would I lose the segment?

thanks,

M
So maybe you should be asking this over at the CX forum !

Yes CX will check your bags through to BA. But please book a flight with at least 2-3 hours connection, just in case. If CX is delayed, CX 'might' rush you through to BA but any rebooking will have to be between you and BA. Not CX. Your baggage allowance is also limited to what you are permitted on your booking class for the CX flight only.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi,

thanks,

M
It is my understanding that as per OneWorld's policy if a connection is missed between OW carriers even if it involves separate tickets, the passenger is to be rebooked. I never really had any experience with that, so not sure how that works in reality but I was concerned about this as well yesterday when making a connection between LA and AY on separate tickets with 90 minutes between flights and having to change terminals. Fortunately, it all worked out. Based on what I've read on FT, American actually does this, not sure about CX and BA. Since your first segment is with CX, if there were a flight delay, they would have to rebook you if all segments were under 1 ticket. But since that's not the case, you basically are left at BA's mercy if you miss the flight. Not sure how many HKG-LHR flights they operate but in a situation like this, they will most likely not put you on CX and you'd have to wait for the next available BA flight if, again, BA is willing to do this. To be sure, although that's not full proof - you can call BA and ask if they offer such an option.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Hi,

thanks,

M
your question probably to ask CX.
in my experience, CX does still honor check thru with seperate tickets. Once check thru, basically, you will be protected in case of misconnect, but no guaranteed
However, there is always a risk of losing the entire ticket when misconnect on seperate tickets, and dont blame the airlines, just give yourself enough time to catch flight or rebook if possible.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:53 pm

If you miss departure of the second flight you will be on your own and need a new ticket.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
It is my understanding that as per OneWorld's policy if a connection is missed between OW carriers even if it involves separate tickets, the passenger is to be rebooked.
Im afraid it is unfortunately a wrong understanding. AA have their own policy and AFAIK still do this, the rest explicitly do not.

If the ops bkk-hkg is badly delayed and he misses the departure of his hkg-lhr the ticket will be lost bar (always possible) gesture of good will.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

It is my understanding that as per OneWorld's policy if a connection is missed between OW carriers even if it involves separate tickets, the passenger is to be rebooked. I never really had any experience with that, so not sure how that works in reality but I was concerned about this as well yesterday when making a connection between LA and AY on separate tickets with 90 minutes between flights and having to change terminals. Fortunately, it all worked out. Based on what I've read on FT, American actually does this, not sure about CX and BA. Since your first segment is with CX, if there were a flight delay, they would have to rebook you if all segments were under 1 ticket. But since that's not the case, you basically are left at BA's mercy if you miss the flight. Not sure how many HKG-LHR flights they operate but in a situation like this, they will most likely not put you on CX and you'd have to wait for the next available BA flight if, again, BA is willing to do this. To be sure, although that's not full proof - you can call BA and ask if they offer such an option.
Your understanding is incorrect there is no such Oneworld policy.AA have a similar policy,but it only applies to AA.If the OP,s flight from BKK is delayed,BA will most likely make him buy a new ticket.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I asked at JFK the other day, when flying CX F to HKG, if I could check my bag through to LHR on a connecting BA CW flight later on the day I landed and they said no as it wasn't on the same PNR.

Didn't argue and dropped a bag off at left luggage in HKG (with associated 10 mile walks to get there and back through security later).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Last March KA in Da Nang kindly checked our bags to HKG and all the way to LHR on BA (separate ticket, of course), giving us also the BPs for the evening flight.
I hope for the same next year, even if we have 6 hours between flights.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by xenole
I asked at JFK the other day, when flying CX F to HKG, if I could check my bag through to LHR on a connecting BA CW flight later on the day I landed ...
You flew from JFK to LHR - via HKG?
shek3112 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You flew from JFK to LHR - via HKG?
Yes. Needed to pop to Hong Kong and I was in New York anyway so a nice long Cathay flight seemed in order. Prefer west bound travel anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For HKG baggage transfers, always check with BA (e.g. at the transfer desks just before the main passport line, or at the departure gate) that your bag has been transferred over. The computer systems aren't as well linked as they could be in HKG (ditto BKK).

If you want to protect the next flight (and in many cases get through baggage check) you need to pay for a ticket which has this feature included in it. Two separate tickets typically won't have this protection.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:01 am

CX will check the baggage through.

They will generally protect separate tickets and rebook you if both flights are on CX but not if the second flight is with a different carrier.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:18 am

It is my understanding that as per OneWorld's policy if a connection is missed between OW carriers even if it involves separate tickets, the passenger is to be rebooked. I never really had any experience with that, .....
This is complete nonsense.

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Once check thru, basically, you will be protected in case of misconnect,
So is this.

If on separate tickets there no protection. It's as simple as that.
rossmacd and windchaser777 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by xenole
I asked at JFK the other day, when flying CX F to HKG, if I could check my bag through to LHR on a connecting BA CW flight later on the day I landed and they said no as it wasn't on the same PNR.

Didn't argue and dropped a bag off at left luggage in HKG (with associated 10 mile walks to get there and back through security later).
That's because CX is handled by BA at JFK !
CX will certainly allow a thru check onto BA at HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.