Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Was on yesterday's 12:55 LHR - OSL.

3 demarcated lanes at the gate labelled group 1, group 2+3 and group 4+5. All very orderly until they called the first group announcing groups 1 and 2 can board now.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Still using the old Gold and Club routine at LCY this evening. Was this because it still hasn’t rolled out at LCY or just a staff member that used the old system?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Still using the old Gold and Club routine at LCY this evening. Was this because it still hasn’t rolled out at LCY or just a staff member that used the old system?
*ahem* ... we’re over here >>>
Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Of course. Mods feel free/please move this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Was in full use at CPT on Friday evening (for the LGW flight): three rows for groups one to three and a separate pen for everyone else.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Flew to HEL from T3 (Gate A11) on Saturday.

Two queues to get into the lounge (boarding pass scanned and passport checked). Once in the lounge called by group - flying club so in Group 1 - no gate crowding - seemed to work as it should.

Flew back from HEL on Sunday - arrived at the gate as they announced Group 1 boarding - straight on to the bus. Waited until the bus was "full" before leaving so no benefit in getting on early.

As an aside there must have been about 20 passengers at LHR on Saturday who go turned away from the gate because they were flying on the Finnair flight that departed at around the same time (10-15 mins difference I believe). One of the perils of codeshares when you fly to / from the same airports at around the same time!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:04 pm

Any idea why my boarding passes on the app always come in white and now also without group number?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Curious.. I’m on my third JFK flight from T5 this morning in the last few months and I’ve noticed that on each flight there are quite a high number of passengers that are ushered through boarding before the general boarding commences. This morning I counted in excess of 25 passengers. Can’t seem to see any pattern... appear to be all walks of life. Is this likely to be SS assisted passengers? It’s a mixture of Business types, families, casually dressed.

I fly quite a lot and haven’t noticed this volume on other routes so was genuinely curious!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
SSSS maybe?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
The system generally seems to be working well at Glasgow these days, with checking of BP's common and plenty of rejections noted. At DUS on Wednesday it was being heavily enforced. There had been a big surge of people in front of us when Group 1 was called, and all of them were turned away giving us a clear path through.

Generally speaking boarding seems quicker as a result, and I have had far less late departures due to very slow boarding.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Any idea why my boarding passes on the app always come in white and now also without group number?
Which device are you using, what is your status?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which device are you using, what is your status?
iPad, Gold
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm definitely fine with first boarding before GCH. The hierarchy doesn't bother me too much and I'll take my place in it.

It is understandable when you can be on say a 787-9 with 8 F seats, you've a F boarding pass, yet there's a queue, or mob, of 50+ people in front of you and you know fine that possibly all of them aren't in your cabin. There's no way, without seeing every boarding pass, that you can determine when they should be boarding, so you've got to stand there or perhaps show cheekiness by pushing through.
Was wondering about the FT reaction to this, and not seeing a lot of JFK thoughts with that as the search term. JFK T7 is a mess with construction which doesn't help (though after a year thank God they've fixed the world's shortest escalator), but my experience of it as a GCH is it is a mess, and has been since introduction. The main problem is that if you have pre-flight dining you will be the last to the gate, by which time they've probably announced general boarding. The concept envisages that everyone is more-or-less at the gate at the same time - and for shorthaul that's almost definitely right - but for most transatlantic F/J pax, that simply isn't true. It follows that the zone 1 queue will then be the longest, but I have noticed that the gate agents at JFK don't then dedicate themselves to getting zone 1 cleared, but continue to deal with the other queues on an equal basis. I am not going to queue-jump but it's often the case that you can see it would be quicker just to join the zone 3 queue, which makes no sense. In addition, removing the signage seems to encourage at least some pax to give it a try as even to give this the benefit of the doubt, there are few visual cues and what does "general boarding" even mean when they've stopped calling by zone? Even if they are told otherwise by the gate agent, they've still joined the queue, and it's still taken the gate agent as long to say no to them as it would have to let them through, and probably longer. Having done that, you will then be queueing again on the skybridge - which in fairness is not new and what happens if you are late to board, but now you go from one queue immediately into another. And, I don't know what they (/TSA) did to priority security at T7 in the last, what, year to 18 months?, but the queue there is now always long and always slow. My sense is that I will now, reliably, have three long queues at JFK, and one of those queues has been manufactured by this zoned boarding policy. Having grumbled, their Twitter team asked me what I suggested, and I think clear priority signage irrespective of the zones should be restored.

Interestingly it seems fine the other way, at LHR coming back, but from memory they still have the priority signage there.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

This still happens to be the case...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:45 am

This still happens to be the case...
I occasionally have the same issue and have found that my frequent flyer number is not always correctly attached to the booking (even though I can log in to BA website and my booking is attached to my profile).

Once you attach the number correctly, then the boarding pass and group will be corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.