Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
They should send the Waterside people and teaching crew to CPH to learn. From the country that introduced the world to police kettling techniques, the Danish gate enforcers must all be ex cops. Best priority boarding I have ever seen, from what is essentially a single room. Much better than my flight to Denver on Tuesday this week from T3. No priority boarding whatsoever, but a very pleasant F flight made up for the gate scrum :-)
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:38 am

Flew back from KRK this week and they did call CE first then Gold/Silver etc but it didn't make any difference as we were bussed to the plane and as we were one of the first on the bus by the time they had squashed in most of the passengers we ended up last onto the plane at the front entrance as they were using both front and back doors.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
One recent trip, which involved several AA flights, I took a completely inconsistent approach myself. I was group 1 on all these tickets, and after making an effort on the first two to be at the gate in plenty of time, I reconsidered with the next leg, as all I'd achieved was sitting on the plane longer. It was quite funny that the few people in group 1, I'm guessing 10 to 16 still largely hang by the gate as if it's a race, despite the front overheads having plentiful space.

For the next one I left the lounge late, and found boarding half way through, I think they were calling group 5. I sat down and watched, after a couple of minutes they called me on the PA, I approached the desk and it seemed they just wanted to check I was there as it was apparently unusual to have not boarded in group 1 when group 1, seemed odd to me, wondered if there was a pressing upgrade wannabe. Next time I did the same, and was called again, although this time they just wanted to ask if I'd swap seat, was happy to do so. In doing this I just joined the plane, but thought how stupid as I then queued in the jetway. When I got on the plane the overheads were full, and I got to about the 3rd row before one was free, the person behind had seen me throw my iPad on to the seat in row 1, and actually waited to allow me to get back to my seat having put my pack in the overhead. One polite sensible person or just a more disciplined crowd on AA. No idea.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Now I like Raffles as much as the next guy, but credit where it's due... it was 'official' on page 1 of this thread, and he took the story from here, not the other way round.
No, I got it from another BA staffer. I had it before it was published on here but did not want to break the confidence of that person, so I was waiting for someone else to leak it first :-)
T8191 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by wingtip428
Gate closure used to be -10 for a jetbridge, -20 for bussing. I always aimed to arrive at -15 until the day when I hadn't registered that gate A4 = coaching. Doh!

Under our new COO, the RTG target (ready to go, all doors closed) has moved from -3 to -5. So gate closure with a jetbridge is now -12. I don't know if the bussing time has also changed... however I think the boarding passes still say "gate closes" at -20?
I was just about to ask a very similar question on this, cheers.

I'm very much in the "turn up as late as possible from the lounge" crowd... for my sins.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RG1X
I'm very much in the "turn up as late as possible from the lounge" crowd... for my sins.
But not too late to get a Flyertalk welcome, so greetings from the BA forum, and I hope you won't miss any good posts here, so stay in touch! Welcome on board RG1X.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA VS
Seen today:
BA
Paid the lowest fare? You'll be last to board
so class based boarding thrown back in their face as it will deter some from booking. And, as I may have said earlier, I'll be interested in how this system works in Italy, where they do not understand the concept of queuing,
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
One of the improvements I've seen in some US airports, by Delta and others, is to set up the queueing perpendicular to the direction of boarding. And set back from the gate door, and the staff counter.

This gives an ordered queueing facility for the those who are desperate to start queueing well in advance of boarding, but keeps the desk area clear for pax with queries, and the gate door clear for actually boarding.
So less of a mosh scrum around the gate, that prevents those with boarding priority from getting anywhere the gate to board.

In addition, zones 1,2,3 board in single file down the regular boarding lane to the door, leaving the premium lane free for any premium pax who come to the gate later on in boarding, and so can still bypass the economy queue.

Alas, I don't think there's room for this sort of system at many LHR gates, and other UK airports. Certainly not at domestic gates anyway.

Although saying that, don't EasyJet have this sort of parallel queues at some airports?
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But not too late to get a Flyertalk welcome, so greetings from the BA forum, and I hope you won't miss any good posts here, so stay in touch! Welcome on board RG1X.
Cheers. ^
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Paxing
And, as I may have said earlier, I'll be interested in how this system works in Italy, where they do not understand the concept of queuing,
To the contrary, Italians manage a far advanced concept of queuing, using two dimensions.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
To the contrary, Italians manage a far advanced concept of queuing, using two dimensions.
More three or four...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all - I am happy to say that this has been my project and will try and answer all your questions. I have worked in airport operations for over 30 years (not just BA), so I totally understand all your frustrations and concerns. The groupings that have been highlighted in the forum are correct. The reason we have First with Gold on long haul is because generally they are not at the gate, but rather in the lounge.
The announcements are indeed structured around the likes of AA - 'remain seated until we call you'.
I have been present for hundreds of departures, and totally understand the 'scrum' that happens at the gate, and we are hoping that with clear direction, and bold 'Group' information on the boarding pass (completely refreshed and updated alongside this project) that customer behaviour will change. For non English speakers, it also might be easier for them to understand.
This is not about driving punctuality, but rather improving everyone's satisfaction at the gate with regards the boarding element of your journey. It will roll out, world wide, on the 12th of December. No doubt there will be a few teething pains as staff get used to the new procedure and announcements, so please be patient . I will keep an eye out here after the 12th, in the meantime, please feel free to message me!
Markie, 710 77345, Stez and 12 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by cayman4522
Hi all - I am happy to say that this has been my project and will try and answer all your questions. I have worked in airport operations for over 30 years (not just BA), so I totally understand all your frustrations and concerns. The groupings that have been highlighted in the forum are correct. The reason we have First with Gold on long haul is because generally they are not at the gate, but rather in the lounge.
The announcements are indeed structured around the likes of AA - 'remain seated until we call you'.
I have been present for hundreds of departures, and totally understand the 'scrum' that happens at the gate, and we are hoping that with clear direction, and bold 'Group' information on the boarding pass (completely refreshed and updated alongside this project) that customer behaviour will change. For non English speakers, it also might be easier for them to understand.
This is not about driving punctuality, but rather improving everyone's satisfaction at the gate with regards the boarding element of your journey. It will roll out, world wide, on the 12th of December. No doubt there will be a few teething pains as staff get used to the new procedure and announcements, so please be patient . I will keep an eye out here after the 12th, in the meantime, please feel free to message me!
Appreciate you sticking your head above the parapet.

I would say that you don't *hope* that customer behaviour will change, because it won't. This is something that HAS to be forced.

Good luck.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is a a good point, plus realistically the complexities of oneworld cards are not well understood outside these hallowed portals. Though there will be some trying it on, nevertheless there are other Blue BAEC members who genuinely think this allows Priority Boarding. Groups will bring simplicity. Good luck, my prediction is that you will get dozens of reports in this forum very quickly (and probably a brand new thread too!).
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:38 pm

Hi all - I am happy to say that this has been my project and will try and answer all your questions.
Thanks for posting. Had you considered having people with young kids and those requiring assistance being put in to group 1, and then having groups 2-6 for the rest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.