Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - Sort Your Cabin Baggage Policy FFS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Assuming BA will stick with charging people for bags, the only way to fix it is to have outstation staff follow a consistent, well managed process (hard for contracted staff presumably with poorly thought through contract terms) and to get the cabin crew to take a more active role during boarding (unions?).

I don't see BA getting either of those to happen anytime soon. I'd say charging for overhead bags would be more likely.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Meant to ask earlier but what does FFS stand for?
Funny flying story
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Actually, I think the opposite is true. The LCCs strictly enforce the one bag per person at the gate, and ensure that only the first 90 bags get onto the cabin (the rest go in the hold, like it or not).

It normally takes around 10 minutes to load a full A320 on U2. That's from opening the doors to everyone seated.
Not all. Not all routes. Jet2 and Flybe have been particularly bad, and the crowded Ryanair GLA-STN I was on had this a couple of months ago. I'm sure FR are better at it though.

But even at that, the passenger is still getting their luggage in the hold for free. Not ideal at the other end, but it's free...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
AA has recently undertaken at least the strict enforcement effort at some of its busier locations (no penalty fees !). Unrelenting gate staff treat all passengers the same and I have recently seen several AA CK's (GGL in BA-speak) have their bags pried from them as they board. Not only does this help on the specific flight, but it sends the message that the rules apply to passengers not just the unannointed.
I agree. AA does a pretty good job of boarding - both in terms of priority and also in terms of bags. On busy flights they will usually announce that anyone in boarding group X or higher won't have room to stow their bag in the cabin and they will check it free of charge to the final destination. They are also generally very good at ensuring second bags go under the seat and that business / first class overheads are reserved for passengers in those cabins, at least until everyone has boarded.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by af101
Simple solution. Stop charging extra for checked baggage.

Some people HBO for convenience, others for cost. For the latter group, get stuff checked at checkin, breeze into the plane. Everyone's happier.
Equally simple solution would be to sell only 50% of the seats.

But, that might cause an increase in fares.

I have no desire to subsidize those who choose to check luggage or who purchase HBO fares and then want the benefit of the checked bag.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:19 am

Some people HBO for convenience, others for cost. For the latter group, get stuff checked at checkin, breeze into the plane. Everyone's happier.
I don't fly much, but I'm in that latter group. In fact, I would prefer to not have to have an extra item to drag along with me through the airport. However, I have better places to spend $25, so I avoid checking it in now.

I'm curious, though. If I have a bag that could go in the overhead but I ask the GA to check it ("gee, it looks like a busy flight and maybe it'll help if I don't take my bag on board?"), would they likely do so without a fee? (I usually fly AC, DL, or UA)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:29 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Were all 3 of the flights, you mention in your last sentence, delayed due to cabin baggage?

Or were you just annoyed because the 3rd flight was delayed and therefore the reason was cabin baggage but it could have been a different reason, as there are multiple reasons why flights are delayed, therefore you would have been annoyed regardless, understandably when its your 3rd flight in a row!
No, all three of my last three flights on BA were due to excessive hand-baggage being allowed on board, then the CC having to retrospectively remove it all afterwards.

Think of the passenger not in CE and at the back of the plane that may of had their luggage checked in after boarding! It could always be worse! Hopefully your next flights are smoother and trouble-free.
Not sure how that is relevant at all where I was specifically seated? The fact is the whole plane was late departing and arriving because of this hand baggage non-enforcement / mis-management by BA - so all pax were all affected equally.

Boarding halfway through the entire process can be stressful for everyone involved watching and waiting for others to board and find seats etc, this could have been avoided as a CE pax, unless you were late to the gate!
I always try and board towards the end of the process because I really have no desire to sit in a cramped metal tube any longer than I absolutely have to. I always check my main rollaboard into the hold and just take my lap-top bag on-board ...as should so many of the other clowns you see trying to board with huge suitcases plus many other items.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Viper536
I don't fly much, but I'm in that latter group. In fact, I would prefer to not have to have an extra item to drag along with me through the airport. However, I have better places to spend $25, so I avoid checking it in now.

I'm curious, though. If I have a bag that could go in the overhead but I ask the GA to check it ("gee, it looks like a busy flight and maybe it'll help if I don't take my bag on board?"), would they likely do so without a fee? (I usually fly AC, DL, or UA)
Yes. I've gate checked a bag on three of my recent flights (long and short haul). By gate checking it I'm pretty confident it will get loaded on the plane.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Viper536
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
Yes. I've gate checked a bag on three of my recent flights (long and short haul). By gate checking it I'm pretty confident it will get loaded on the plane.
Indeed the policy is to allow people to check at the gate free of charge, since FLY cannot accept payment after check-in is closed anyway! [Ditto seat fees, but that's an old story for status passengers]. Moreover it is also policy that if your bags are under the hand baggage allowance they can also be put in the hold for free at check-in - so instead of, not as well as, the checked allowance if any. There are huge signs saying this in LHR and LGW, so even HBO ticket passengers can check in some bags if they wish.

At outstations, however, there have been reports in Italy and Greece of check-in agents trying to charge in this scenario, but that is an incorrect reading of policy.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
No, all three of my last three flights on BA were due to excessive hand-baggage being allowed on board, then the CC having to retrospectively remove it all afterwards.

Not sure how that is relevant at all where I was specifically seated? The fact is the whole plane was late departing and arriving because of this hand baggage non-enforcement / mis-management by BA - so all pax were all affected equally.
So all 3 flights were delayed due to baggage? Thats very unfortunate.

Well compared to the ET pax, you are fortunate enough to disembark first but also knock back complimentary champers/drinks to help ease the stress should this be your fancy! It sounds like I'd be doing so!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by shefgab
That being said, I think BA need a cut off like on Ryanair. First 90 roll-aboards get on, all the rest get checked. End of, and fair enough.
Originally Posted by binman
If you travel AA you board in order or you don't board at all.
At easy/Ryan this is easy to manage... either you're 'preferred' in which case you board first or you're 'plebs', in which case they don't care about you. BA has a lot of Golds/Silvers who take advantage of the 'board at your leisure' policy and amble over from the lounge at the last minute. I believe CWS is in this category, as (albeit without the shiny card) am I - and to adopt this policy would cause an earthquake among important customers. And BA prefers to 'allow where possible' rather than 'take just in case', so a set figure regardless of bag size wouldn't work.

As for AA, is this really true? Even for Plat/EP/CK? Somehow I very much doubt it.

If HAL didn't charge so much (£3.24 IIRC?) for each bag handled, and if loaders came free, this might be a more workable option.

Originally Posted by winchpete
I shudder to think what will happen when BA add more seats without adding more room for the bags.
I would put money on the hand baggage policy changing at that point and becoming more restrictive, maybe one-piece-unless-CE/Gold or something. Possibly also at the same time as long-haul HBO (though I hope this never happens).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

The UK CAA needs to get get some teeth and decree too many bags in the cabin is just not safe.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Had 3 BA flights recently - one long haul (JHN-LHR) and 2 short (LHR-MAN return). All of them were ok, but the yellow tag scenario (which I never got, despite having an obviously fit under the seat bag and an overhead bag) is not enforced at all. we never had a delay due to too much hand luggage, BUT I could see how it could happen. Must admit BA is NOT my favourite airline to fly....
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Was flying LX which has the same problem selling loads of HBO fares. I was nicely installed, my backpack (small) in the locker over me, when a late boarding pax with a massively oversized roller starts pulling my pack out. As the lockers were largely full and the pax wasn't even sitting anywhere near me, I let loose at him and told him if he had a problem, he could take his case to the FA and have it loaded in the hold, but my bag stayed where it was.
I also wish gate agents were more pro-active at removing what are clearly oversized bags. Again it's the LCCs which have taken the lead, doing exactly that.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
At easy/Ryan this is easy to manage... either you're 'preferred' in which case you board first or you're 'plebs', in which case they don't care about you. BA has a lot of Golds/Silvers who take advantage of the 'board at your leisure' policy and amble over from the lounge at the last minute. I believe CWS is in this category, as (albeit without the shiny card) am I - and to adopt this policy would cause an earthquake among important customers. And BA prefers to 'allow where possible' rather than 'take just in case', so a set figure regardless of bag size wouldn't work.

As for AA, is this really true? Even for Plat/EP/CK? Somehow I very much doubt it.

If HAL didn't charge so much (£3.24 IIRC?) for each bag handled, and if loaders came free, this might be a more workable option.

I would put money on the hand baggage policy changing at that point and becoming more restrictive, maybe one-piece-unless-CE/Gold or something. Possibly also at the same time as long-haul HBO (though I hope this never happens).
Ryanair and Easyjet don't have connecting passengers, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.