Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - Sort Your Cabin Baggage Policy FFS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH
Would prefer not to say because have been critical of the CC. But yes it is an outstation and the ground staff are contract - but then the same company serve the other airlines too and seem happy to enforce the policy on their behalf.
Understandable, though my reading of your comments was that the cabin crew were somewhat stuck with the situation: if too many bags pass the cabin door it's too late, the problem needed to be addressed well before then otherwise it's bound to become messy. Besides I'm sure you would be happy to repeat your comments to the cabin crew.

One thing we can do here is highlight those outstations which are good, and which are bad in this area. So AMS and DUB sometimes get flack here for excessive zeal, but in the case of AMS they really have to be blunt. LHR did have one or two incidents where Gold cardholders were seemingly targeted simply because they were first to board, but after being flagged in this forum action was taken (or so I was told) to avoid a repetition.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:37 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by seaskybound
If everyone brought the -allowed- carry on limitations there would not be enough room on most aircraft.

What would help is a gate checking system where you get the bag back, rapidly at disembarking gate.

Saying all that, how many flights are delayed because of this issue?
Not everyone would do though....just as they don't now. Yesterday there were quite a few pax with just a small lap-top bag, some girls with just a handbag and some folks with a very small rucksack. What is needed is enforcement that IF you bring items as hand-luggage there are very strict and enforced rules as to size and number.

Regarding delays - as per my OP....three in a row now for me on BA so has become somewhat of an issue. Worst one was about 4 weeks ago into LHR with an 80 minute delay because of a missed landing slot at a peak time,
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:09 am

Security's job is ...security, not management of bag size. Every airline has slightly different size requirements. Every class of passenger has a different allowance too. I shudder at asking security to keep it all straight. Their job is to concentrate on making sure nothing dangerous is brought onto an aircraft. Lets let them deal with that. It seems to be more than enough responsibility.
florens and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:13 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Understandable, though my reading of your comments was that the cabin crew were somewhat stuck with the situation: if too many bags pass the cabin door it's too late, the problem needed to be addressed well before then otherwise it's bound to become messy. Besides I'm sure you would be happy to repeat your comments to the cabin crew.
You are correct in that the CC did try and address the situation but when it was clear the gate staff were still letting pax through, they then did absolutely nothing at the aircraft door, apart from politely advising, "there is no room in the overhead bins, they are already full". So why let pax carry on down the cabin then delay the flight by having to go down and bring those very same bags all the way back up to the door - it was surely inevitable that was going to be the case?

I have now wondered if the CC were simply following a BA staff policy in waiting until all pax have boarded and only then retrospectively removing the bags? Perhaps it is the best way to do this whilst avoiding any confrontation - probably alot easier to remove a bag from a pax when the pax can 100% see for themselves there is absolutely no space at all therefore arguing is now futile. What was interesting yesterday was there was not even a discussion amongst the two CC at the front as to whether they should start to insist on pax leaving bags at the door for checking in....both CC just let them all through after a polite advisory there was no further room
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't seen anyone on here throwing a wobbly about being forced to have a yellow tag attached to their cabin baggage for ages. Have they been done away with?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I haven't seen anyone on here throwing a wobbly about being forced to have a yellow tag attached to their cabin baggage for ages. Have they been done away with?
Not totally, but the focus indeed seems a little lower. Probably due for a crackdown with the winter coats and Christmas shopping bags.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The problem probably lies with connecting passengers. I've never seen security at EZE giving a hoot how much hand baggage you're carrying.
It's not their job. They are there to ensure no bombs, knives etc. on the plane, not to ensure that people take the right amount of bags as carry on (the rules for which will vary between carriers and class, status etc.).

Going into winter silly season this is going to be a more regular occurrence. It's astonishing what some people bring on board. It's also astonishing how oblivious some passengers are about how to store bags and how long they are taking to place items in the overhead and the fact that they are holding people up etc. I feel for the CC.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:31 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Not totally, but the focus indeed seems a little lower. Probably due for a crackdown with the winter coats and Christmas shopping bags.
Will they be clearing that with the shopping centre airport first?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC

One thing we can do here is highlight those outstations which are good, and which are bad in this area. So AMS and DUB sometimes get flack here for excessive zeal, but in the case of AMS they really have to be blunt. LHR did have one or two incidents where Gold cardholders were seemingly targeted simply because they were first to board, but after being flagged in this forum action was taken (or so I was told) to avoid a repetition.
As much as it is often derided on here, it is one advantage to having your gold luggage tag attached. I have overheard gate staff at LCY a number of times commenting that they shouldn't try to gate check my wheelie bag due to the gold tag bling attached to it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
iWife was yellow-tagged on the last trip ... well, her very small carry on that fits easily [and invariably goes] under the seat in front in CE was tagged, as she also had a small handbag. I removed the tag and kept it as a souvenir
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I had a 22" rollaboard and a similar sized bag as my hand luggage on most of my recent flights.
Even AA didn't flinch when I boarded a CRJ with them and a fleece.

Did hear the odd AA announcement saying that if you were in boarding group 7-9 or similar, you should check your bag as they weren't going to fit.

BA just have no consistency in their procedures.

Took around 30 mins to get my checked bag at LHR the other day. Could have been half way to Central London with hand luggage.
Still better than the 1h30 last time I checked a bag through to JFK.
Best was third off at JER and I was at the Radisson before the bulk of passengers hit the taxi area.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by xenole
Took around 30 mins to get my checked bag at LHR the other day.
Same here. I only check bags when not otherwise possible.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
It's not their job. They are there to ensure no bombs, knives etc. on the plane, not to ensure that people take the right amount of bags as carry on (the rules for which will vary between carriers and class, status etc.).
Indeed.
Over the years at EZE they've been far more interested in finding bundles of US dollars in your hand baggage.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Indeed.
Over the years at EZE they've been far more interested in finding bundles of US dollars in your hand baggage.
All that cash you save by travelling economy has to be stashed somewhere I guess
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think a key issue is that BA crew aren't really pro-active during the boarding process. On a LHR - DUB flight recently, I don't recall hearing a single announcement during boarding asking people to put small bags under seats. There was also no-one in the aisles keeping an eye on things, as you'd get with Easyjet or Ryanair. A family of four were in front of me - they filled up one locker with a small bag and their 4 coats, then promptly shut it. They'd been allowed to pre-board (despite the youngest child being about 10) so it should have been pretty obvious to a crew member keeping half an eye out. When the inevitable happened and the crew were desperately trying to find space for a case, I had to point out to the crew member that the locker they'd just opened and closed had plenty of room as it was full of coats, and the case was swiftly stowed there.

If BA could change their SOP so that crew become more involved throughout the boarding process, not just when it seems they've run out of space, boarding would be much smoother. It would also help if ground crew did what other airlines do and count the number of wheelie bags as they're going on, and then start gate checking when they've reached a specified amount.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.