Wiki Posts
Search

NBO lounge ??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold
NBO lounge ??

Can any ft'er tell me if theres a lounge at nairobi please ?? Im travelling back in club on BA65 next thursday and as the flight is at 0030 a lounge and a shower would be nice. Thanks in advance darren cobb
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Thai Gold, JetPriviledge
Yes but forget the shower and perhaps a seat before 11pm. The lounge is shared with a number of airlines and it was overfull when I was there about 6 weeks ago. It emptied a bit around 11ish but still not a pleasant place to be for any length of time. Food and drink basic. Not aware of showers but others may know more. It was also a long way from the boarding gate (and the check in). Also be aware that there are two security checks ( scanners) at the gate. One of the airports own and a second by BA one after that so security queues are longish. Best to board late if you are in club as there is only a small waiting area after security.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have a look at Post 7 in the Lounge Wiki

BA Lounge Database | Africa
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was expecting a bit of chaos so im now prepared.cheers
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Although I haven't been following it, there may be some more information in the more recent posts in this thread: Replacement BA Lounge at NBO???
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Unless something has changed drastically, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Trust me, it isn't worth it. Here is my recent experience. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28861138-post61.html

And it is a looooong way from the BA boarding gate, which was even more nightmarish. We were in F and stood in the premium boarding line. The agent manning the general line scanned all of them through first, leaving the premium line standing there for 15 minutes. When we finally got into the cattle pen that is the waiting room, there were no seats. It was nowhere near an F experience.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Ha, sounds great then. I wont tell mrs cobb and let it be a little surprise !!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Presto
The Turkish Airways (*A) lounge past Gate 4 (in the newly constructed area) is a Priority Pass lounge as well, if you have that option. I used it a few times in September. It's a nice lounge with good facilities, a nice respite from the crowded waiting areas.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by NoahVail
The Turkish Airways (*A) lounge past Gate 4 (in the newly constructed area) is a Priority Pass lounge as well, if you have that option. I used it a few times in September. It's a nice lounge with good facilities, a nice respite from the crowded waiting areas.
I have also used it with Priority Pass and it is much better than the other choices. However, allow a solid 10 minutes to get to the BA gate. Also, the BA gate has its own security to pass through (again).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Used the new Turkish lounge in Nairobi the other day, and thought it was OK. Got there just after the majority of LH passengers had left (c2200 ish) and it was fine, with lots of empty seats. I guess getting there before most of the LH and EK (?) passengers would work as well.

As for the walk, it's no big deal, as going to any of the cafes airside involves a fair walk from check-in and to gate 10... And you don't need a lounge invite - just the boarding card is fine. I've tried to attach a few photos below of the lounge entrance, for posterity. Sorry if they're too big! Note BA isn't listed outside the lounge as being entitled to use it, and it sounds like the check in staff weren't exactly proactive in letting customers know.

For reference, since I haven't seen it mentioned before, BA have an early check-in (2-3 desks open) from 1930, then main check-in opens at 2130 (this for the W17 schedule where the flight leaves at 0030).

Should you arrive before 1930, there are now also a couple of OK coffee/snack/dining/WiFi options landside at the terminals themselves (no need to go to the Ole Sereni any more). Nicest one I saw was the Paul Caffe coffee bar/pizza/snack cafe outside at the very beginning of T1A (KQ/KL), from where it's only a minute's walk to T1B when BA opens its doors.

Oh, and mobile boarding passes are now accepted as well!

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
I got to the Turkish lounge at ~22:30 last Tuesday evening (for the 00:30 flight on 06/12), and whilst it was busy, Mrs Internetplumber and I found a couple of seats next to each other and had a couple of glasses of fizz. The display changed to 'boarding' at about 23:30, and the queue for the gate security wasn't too onerous (although this was a midweek flight and not full). I'd been expecting much worse, and I'm sure when it is busier it can be much worse, but it was adequate for us.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
For reference, since I haven't seen it mentioned before, BA have an early check-in (2-3 desks open) from 1930, then main check-in opens at 2130 (this for the W17 schedule where the flight leaves at 0030).
We land on PrecisionAir from Zanzibar around 18:35 on a Saturday. Does anyone know how that would work on two separate tickets? Do we need to reclaim our checked bags and go to those "early checkin" desks, or is there an airside transfer option? Also - anywhere near the airport we could find something decent to eat and stretch our legs?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA gold
PrecisionAir will book your luggage through to London from Zanzibar if you ask. Once you arrive in Nairobi you go through the transfer gates and walk for what seems for ages through the terminal to the Turkair lounge where they will let you in (1st/Business and other eligible pax) with either a boarding pass or by using the app.
The numbering of the gates in the new terminal isn't particularly obvious when you arrive in the "new" terminal but go past gate 4 before passing a luggage shop and the prayer rooms and the lounge is on the left. It does get busy but arriving from the 1830 PrecisionAir flight gets you there when there is still plenty of time to get yourselves some seats. It must be easy, we have done it lots of times since the lounge opened a year or so ago.
Leaving the airside areas with a four hour wait sounds attractive at first consideration but by the time you have gone through the formalities that time is significantly eroded. To leave the airport brings in more security checks at the airport exit/entry and you have to go through the Nairobi traffic. Boarding is usually quite early and the time soon goes.much, much better than it used to be both before and after the
kellytoronto likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A great set of observations there, Grumpyflyer, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I very much hope that we will see plenty more of you too. Welcome on board.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Just to close the loop, Precision Air did indeed through check our bags ZNZ-NBO-LHR-YYZ and they all arrived promptly. We also left the airport to the new Hilton Garden Inn NBO airport. We exited immigration(no visa fee, for some reason,) grabbed a cab, and were at the hotel within 15 mins of exiting the plane. We then left the hotel 90 mins prior to departure. This had let the kids rest in the room while we had drinks in the lobby, they then joined us in the restaurant for a fine dinner.

As luck would have it, some changes I had made (involving splitting our PNR) made checkin dicey at T-62 mins, but we made it with enough time to spend ~30 mins at the departure gate. We didn't even head to the lounge, but could have in retrospect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.