Reward Flight 'Dynamic Pricing' Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold, VS Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Reward Flight 'Dynamic Pricing' Discussion

From the BA Capital Markets Day 2017:

Progressive introduction of Dynamic Pricing from 2018
The last Avios devaluation was in 2015 which also introduced Peak and Off-Peak pricing.

Some discussion points:
  • Do you expect dynamic pricing to mean lower as well as (assumed) higher redemption prices?
  • Will you book ahead before the end of 2017 to avoid redemption hikes?
  • Is this a good thing?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Given it is BA I only expect more costly redemptions.

Leaving that point aside, I support dynamic pricing if it truly works, e.g. I can pick up a J return to NYC at a week’s notice for 20k Avios if no one else has booked it, and conversely I’d like to be able to unlock the same redemption, also at a week’s notice for 500k Avios on a busy flight (GGL Joker style, where the Joker is replaced by a strong multiple of Avios).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
A couple of interesting links from Googling "Avios Dynamic Pricing" (from 2016).

https://developer.avios.com/docs/product_pricing
An introduction for "Partners" looking to utilise the facility. "Pay with Avios Dynamic Discount Pricing Service allows Partners to setup discount prices which are dynamic in nature" sounds like it will be dynamic discounting, presumably to drive volumes when default pricing is not competitive (or misses the chance to drive loyalty or price-discriminate). Also refers to "default pricing points" which will therefore seemingly remain.

https://jobs.avios.com/jobs/vacancy/...e-90a96704ebf0
Job description with responsibility for this. Motivation "to best maximise margin and the satisfaction of members to drive engagement", is a bit more double-edged.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Don't they dare change anything to the redemption chart!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
The regular Qatar deals have rendered BA's long haul J redemptions obsolete for many esp because of their high surcharges. Maybe dynamic pricing will bring lower charges on less busy flights but I thought they had already done that with peak/off-peak reward charts?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:03 am

You only need look at Delta to see what dynamic reward pricing looks like. Hint - not good.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Or Air Canada as I mentioned in this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014308-post84.html
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:27 pm

I'm about to blow all my avios on PER-HKG in J and HKG-LHR in F on CX. After that my loyalty is dead.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Or Air Canada as I mentioned in this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014308-post84.html
Love the Air Canada concept. Bring it on!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Gotta love the word "perception" in the description for the Head of Global Pricing!

Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Love the Air Canada concept. Bring it on!
You have to be joking
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:39 pm

Glad I spent the last 250k avois I had this year. It's only a matter of time before BA airlines go to cash based value redemptions (e.g. 1 cent per mile). Loyalty means nothing to them except a way to squeeze more money from flyers.
headingwest likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by olouie
Glad I spent the last 250k avois I had this year. It's only a matter of time before BA airlines go to cash based value redemptions (e.g. 1 cent per mile). Loyalty means nothing to them except a way to squeeze more money from flyers.
Like loyalty doesn't mean anything to most passengers who book the lowest fares.

Airline business is highly transactional. Dynamic pricing fits with that strategy.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:49 am
ECR

Originally Posted by pauldb
A couple of interesting links from Googling "Avios Dynamic Pricing" (from 2016).

https://developer.avios.com/docs/product_pricing
An introduction for "Partners" looking to utilise the facility. "Pay with Avios Dynamic Discount Pricing Service allows Partners to setup discount prices which are dynamic in nature" sounds like it will be dynamic discounting, presumably to drive volumes when default pricing is not competitive (or misses the chance to drive loyalty or price-discriminate). Also refers to "default pricing points" which will therefore seemingly remain.

Job description with responsibility for this. Motivation "to best maximise margin and the satisfaction of members to drive engagement", is a bit more double-edged.
I think that already exists through part pay with avios. I have also noticed recently when searching for reward flights and there is no availability that it directs you towards part pay with avios.
godsavethepoints likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Like loyalty doesn't mean anything to most passengers who book the lowest fares.

Airline business is highly transactional. Dynamic pricing fits with that strategy.

I dont disagree, but airlines still have minimum BIS miles etc as yet another hurdle for "loyalty benefits" since even if you spend $20K on a first class one-time ticket they still dont really consider you a great customer. You may get more miles, but not the status. Yet another reason why the lower cost carriers are going to eat the legacy lunches. When price rules all, the legacy carriers will not be able to keep up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.