New Pre-flight meal service at LCY?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:40 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I would please

Genuinely.
The LCY-JFK service was never going to be viable. Despite the usual protestations by a niche group of travellers here, BA had to bribe passengers with extra TPs in the early days. Its days are numbered. If I'm being honest, so are LCY's days. I suspect at some point someone will realise the land is worth more than the airport.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I don’t think LCYs days are numbered but I do think it is ultimately just going to become another airport. At one point it was a super quick all-Business airport. Now it’s congested and much more leisure focused while lacking the creature comforts like expedited security and a lounge and frankly even an appropriate priority check in.

I do think the JFK flight has little life left in it. The westbound flight is not a time savings unless you are very close to LCY. The eastbound flight is at a terrible time and with no more Arrivals service it is less viable to go straight to work. It was a great experiment that apparently was quite profitable at one point but I think the constant cutbacks and the lack of reliability wore people down. Plus I think the novelty wore off and people realized that it actually didn’t save time.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gms
If I'm being honest, so are LCY's days. I suspect at some point someone will realise the land is worth more than the airport.
Originally Posted by sts603
I don’t think LCYs days are numbered but I do think it is ultimately just going to become another airport. At one point it was a super quick all-Business airport. Now it’s congested and much more leisure focused while lacking the creature comforts like expedited security and a lounge and frankly even an appropriate priority check in.
LCY's days are far from numbered. It's busier than ever, and really needs the forthcoming expansion. The only complaint in that list that really needed addressing was the congestion inside the terminal building, which has been much eased by the new seating along the western pier.

Otherwise, it's still a super-quick airport. I don't even begin to stress if I step off the DLR 30 minutes before departure time.
I do think the JFK flight has little life left in it. ... It was a great experiment that apparently was quite profitable at one point but I think the constant cutbacks and the lack of reliability wore people down. Plus I think the novelty wore off and people realized that it actually didn’t save time.
What about the LCY-JFK customers - ie, those paying for the flights? There has been a marked change in their behaviour since the service started, and that may have been more important for the viability of the service than anything else.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
LCY's days are far from numbered. It's busier than ever, and really needs the forthcoming expansion. The only complaint in that list that really needed addressing was the congestion inside the terminal building, which has been much eased by the new seating along the western pier.

Otherwise, it's still a super-quick airport. I don't even begin to stress if I step off the DLR 30 minutes before departure time.What about the LCY-JFK customers - ie, those paying for the flights? There has been a marked change in their behaviour since the service started, and that may have been more important for the viability of the service than anything else.
Thats my point. I think the route was exciting and promising when first launched. Then people started doing the math on the time savings or lack thereof, got tired of the tech problems, got tired of increased crowding at LCY and the lack of priority security and then came the BA cutbacks.

In in terms of the market itself, New York to london premium is first and foremost dominated by the financial industry which is in far better shape than when the route was launched.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In in terms of the market itself, New York to london premium is first and foremost dominated by the financial industry which is in far better shape than when the route was launched.
It's had its own cost-cutting focus, including on travel. AIUI, the institution that sponsored the route at the outset had no choice but to honour that which it had promised until the period came to an end, by which time the landscape had changed.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:15 pm

I would recommend you pop to pret rather than risk that restaurant. The worst scrambled eggs and avocado it is possible to make. Genuinely horrible.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the main point may be that the gate 24 lounge is closing for the babybus hence why BA1 passengers are now being sent to the Pilots Restaurant.
Is this speculation or is it confirmed?

If the latter maybe we should amend the thread title.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC
For me (based in Canary Wharf and working in NYC frequently) the two things that killed the service were global entry being opened to brits and the lack of proper wifi on board. GE meant no immigration time saving on BA1 and the lack of wifi vs AA meant the flight could not be used as productive work time.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
For me (based in Canary Wharf and working in NYC frequently) the two things that killed the service were global entry being opened to brits and the lack of proper wifi on board. GE meant no immigration time saving on BA1 and the lack of wifi vs AA meant the flight could not be used as productive work time.
And the opening of the Elizabeth Line (CrossRail) will cut journey times to LHR from CW ...
allturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by Calchas
Is this speculation or is it confirmed?

If the latter maybe we should amend the thread title.
This info has been sent to people with bookings in the near future. I received one on Friday for a flight next week. Crew have also said to me they understood it will be closed (possibly already, perhaps end of the month). Shame, as it was a useful and quiet place to gather thoughts and prepare for the trip. The rest of LCY, even with the new extended West pier space now open, is often so manic!
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
The Gate 24 lounge has been Cruzified; operating cost in terms of rent and servicing the lounge itself.
Actually, it's nothing to do with cost.

City Airport refused to renew the contract as they require the use of Gate 24 for the Swiss C Series. The C Series can only park on 23 and 24 and the BA lounge furniture limited the space for the 115 odd customers travelling on Swiss. As Swiss are increasing the number of C Series flights, the airport considered their need greater.

I think the Pilot's Restaurant deal is better than the pastries they used to provide.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
As soon as there's a slight whiff of fog about though, LCY becomes so packed at that time of the morning, you can't find a seat.

It was nice to be able to relax at the gate with a coffee and walk on board when announced, instead of now eating in the restaurant and now queueing on the stairs as everyone arrives at the same time to the gate.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
I think the Pilot's Restaurant deal is better than the pastries they used to provide.
But is complimentary champagne included, which I think was available at the Gate?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
Thanks for clarifying the background. Just to underline that Pilot's - which is also available in LHR T3 and T5, is run by the rhubarb Restaurant company, who run the AA lounge in T3; and I believe they supplied / part operated gate 24 beforehand. So it's the same products, in a different location and set-up.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Possibly is time to just end it and let everyone shuffle over to LHR. Seems to be no investment it in E.g. No proper wifi and still using 1st gen iPads. BA don't seem that bothered about it nowadays, which is a shame. I've one more flight on BA1 to look forward to but probably won't do it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.