Wiki Posts
Search

New Pre-flight meal service at LCY?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
New Pre-flight meal service at LCY?

Ahead of a LCY-JFK on the babybus next month I just saw the following in my booking:

Change to pre-flight refreshments at LCY

Before your departure from London City you are invited to enjoy a complimentary pre-flight meal and drink at Pilots Restaurant. The restaurant is conveniently located in the main terminal, just after security on the left hand-side. On arrival at the restaurant please show your boarding pass to the Welcome Host, who will then show you to your table.

Is this a new CWLCY specific offering or for CE/status holders. I've never eaten there not sure if worth doing the usual short check-in time LCY affords or going a little earlier..

(Sorry if posted elsewhere, couldn't find on search)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the main point may be that the gate 24 lounge is closing for the babybus hence why BA1 passengers are now being sent to the Pilots Restaurant.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the main point may be that the gate 24 lounge is closing for the babybus hence why BA1 passengers are now being sent to the Pilots Restaurant.
It really seems like the Babybus is dying a slow death.

Any reason for the closing of the Gate 24 lounge?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by sts603

Do you really need it spelled out?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I hadn't previously seen anything on here regarding the Gate 24 lounge closing. Is it? and if so anyone know when?

Using Gate 22 or 23 a few weeks ago it was certainly a cramped area to stand pre a CE up to GLA ... but I did enjoy the Gate 24 lounge pre BA1 (and BA3) back in the day.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sts603
The Gate 24 lounge has been Cruzified; operating cost in terms of rent and servicing the lounge itself.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Do you really need it spelled out?
I would please

Genuinely.
LondonAndy and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I would please

Genuinely.
Cost
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Any idea of the value of the meal you can have?

Enough for a coffee and a muffin (like when I was flying LX a few years ago) or something more substantial like a full English and maybe a glass of champaign?

I can see why BA would want to do it - under any management - as the cost per passenger would be pretty high.

OT question - did any other airline use it in the afternoon once the BA1/3 had departed?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Any idea of the value of the meal you can have?

Enough for a coffee and a muffin (like when I was flying LX a few years ago) or something more substantial like a full English and maybe a glass of champaign?

I can see why BA would want to do it - under any management - as the cost per passenger would be pretty high.

OT question - did any other airline use it in the afternoon once the BA1/3 had departed?
I did use that lounge for a GLA flight before, sadly with booze and snacks locked away... Nicer seating than the older gate area, but the temptations!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is the LCY JFK route struggling?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Is the LCY JFK route struggling?
I flew on the BA1 in September and April (Thursdays) and both flights were less than 1/2 full. I didn't do the BA2 as the timings are wrong for me.

I know it's hard to tell but is appeared to me that everyone was a leisure traveller - 4 ladies splashing out on a weekend to go and see Bette Middler in Hello Dolly - three mates going to some sports event - that sort of thing.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is a demographic which will kill off the service. As originally conceived, it was intended for City and Wall Street types who valued door-to-door time and were looking for a comfortable and well-serviced flight, but did not care about luxury or lounges. The idea that one could use a close by airport from the UK and step off into a car service at JFK was the appeal. The appeal was not for people who wanted to spend any appreciable time at any airport.

Depending on where you are located and your time sensitivity, the value of Pre-Clearance and an expedited airport experience at LCY becomes of less and less value.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
And there's me thinking it was an enhancement ie. Incremental to the little gate buffet!

I'm definitely of the leisure demographic they don't require to make the loads for this route, chosen mainly to avoid the immigration hell that is JFK so that I have time to transfer to T8 comfortably and enjoy the Flagship AA lounge for the first time before travelling to LAX

That aside I don't like the seat much so if opportunity comes to change to a well timed LHR flight with UuA to F available I might do that instead.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Since the heyday of 210 TP's and FT'ers finding HNL Gold via LCY, a lot of the spare capacity is likely flying around empty (EUNA) or with Titan (EUNB).

I still can't beat arriving from New York at 7am, stepping onto the LCY tarmac and seeing all the jealous stares from those boarding more mundane departures to Antwerp, Dusseldorf, Luxembourg etc from across the apron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.