Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Babies in First Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by woglet86
My friend and I met up with friends at Gatwick the other day. Two of them plus their baby were in Galleries Club and we decided to move across to the First lounge.

As we moved across I asked the podium agent if it would be ok to guest them in, and he pulled a bit of a face and eventually said that the First lounge was "a quieter lounge" and that with the baby the Club lounge might be more suitable, but that "it's up to you". I'm not sure there's any way to avoid that being awkward, but he wasn't cool about it at all.

My friend holding the baby was clearly very uncomfortable. We went into F Lounge and the child didn't make a sound.

I thought it was unprofessional. These parents would have taken their child out of ANY lounge if she was making a disturbance. But regardless I'm not sure a Gold card or F seat means you have a greater claim on a public space than a Silver cardholder in J.

But really I'm wondering if the agent was enacting some unwritten BA policy here? In which case seems to me they should just change the rules. Or whether he was acting unilaterally? Thoughts welcome.

Thanks
My baby boy born less than 72 hours ago will be in whatever lounge I take him in......but rest assured, it will always be at the back of my mind to minimise any distraction to others. BA make this so easy with large welcoming lounges with ample space and seating! I can’t wait to take him into the GF at T5!

(Reality is the wife and kid will probably join me once a year on the travels so I don’t really care if some jumped up snooty BA rep gives us the evil eye.....I will give them double the trouble back and so much grief that they wished they never set eyes on my boy).

Here is advance warning to others that come end of feb or early March, I intend to fly to BOM.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Very bizarre behaviour from the lounge agent - I've never had any problem or suggestion at LGW (or LHR) that we might like to avoid the First/Gold lounge with our baby...staff are generally very welcoming, and other passengers too as long as you're being sensible and making some effort to keep the little one quiet/entertained; in any event, no way would we want to settle for the Club lounge since at LGW we like the First dining pre-flight - much easier to pull up a high chair and eat together before boarding than trying to juggle meal service on board with a baby
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm pretty sure some of the babies have better taste and behaviour than some of the adults. No, seriously.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
People who pay 5k+ for F tickets don't enjoy screaming babies. No one does. If it were up to me, I would ban them from flights all together.
Flights are extremely stressful on babies and parents who take them 1/3 to Lifetime Gold by the time they are 6 should be stripped of their parental rights.
Babies would be better off on the Queen Mary 2.
sgm and flyingManc like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skyscanner
People who pay 5k+ for F tickets don't enjoy screaming babies. No one does. If it were up to me, I would ban them from flights all together.
Flights are extremely stressful on babies and parents who take them 1/3 to Lifetime Gold by the time they are 6 should be stripped of their parental rights.
Quite an ignorant post. Babies don't earn tier points, unless you buy a seat. So earning towards lifetime Gold tends to start at the age of 2.

I'm not sure 6 or 7 return trips per year in F has been particularly stressful for my child between the ages of 2 and 6, so I am not sure what I am losing my parental rights for?

My daughter has been perfectly acceptably going to Michelin starred restaurants since the age of 3 - I think she has grasped how to behave in public.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Been on the Christmas sherry, my dear?

Rather interesting that you choose to resurrect a thread from a few months ago but don’t have anything to add. Any personal experience you want to get off you chest?

If you don’t like the idea of traveling with babies I suggest you get yourself a private jet.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
obvious wind up is obvious
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

obvious wind up is obvious
Indeed. For a start profile refers to BA Gold, but on another thread the poster "used to be BA Gold". Hmmm. All the talk of F but only a silver. Dearly me.

Smell of rat, perchance?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
It’s all about the parents and their attitude -it’s sad but i have seen incredibly well behaved babies, and have seen screaming banshees whose parents did not appear to care or do anything to minimize the disruption. And yes lol i have seen adults whose behavior was worse that anyone !!!
i do cringe a bit when i see a baby and i know it’s an unfair reflex.
Markie and JayeJ like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
We flew last week with a 1 year old KUL-LHR , My daughter slept for the majority of the flight but I have to say the stark difference between BA and CX or GA is great , Cathay and Garuda go out of the way to help , by providing extra blanket or pillow and both provided the option of baby food , which we didnt use

On the other hand , BA although did nothing wrong , did not offer anything extra or when i asked about the possibility of an extra pillow , it was a definite no without going to look, to be fair i dont expect anything above the minimum from BA , so i had low expectations.

One thing to note Garuda does not allow infants in First Class , so BA would win on that by just being able to offer

Side note- Whilst in KUL Lounge , which was busy due to the satellite lounges being closed , when we first sat down the guy next to me "tutted" and rolled his eyes , i asked if we had disturbed (my daughter was sleeping in the push chair) and he mentioned lounges where not for children and they should be banned , i suggested that Planes where public transport he maybe better suited to a private jet, to be fair he did apologise before he left.
Dambus, dylanks, Cymro and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by walkingtall
We flew last week with a 1 year old KUL-LHR , My daughter slept for the majority of the flight but I have to say the stark difference between BA and CX or GA is great , Cathay and Garuda go out of the way to help , by providing extra blanket or pillow and both provided the option of baby food , which we didnt use
I'm not sure what it is about the route - maybe they don't like the stopover or the 787 or something else, but I've had my absolute worst flights with BA on this route and friends have said the same. Whereas no such problems out of Singapore with either set of crews
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
I'm not sure what it is about the route - maybe they don't like the stopover or the 787 or something else, but I've had my absolute worst flights with BA on this route and friends have said the same. Whereas no such problems out of Singapore with either set of crews

I agree since the change from WW the service has gone downhill, to be honest i enjoy some flights with MF but the KUL flight isn't one of them , maybe due to the length of flight and the number of days rest ?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by walkingtall
One thing to note Garuda does not allow infants in First Class , so BA would win on that by just being able to offer
Do you mean that infants cannot travel on GA F or that GA does not offer infant fares in F and parents therefore need to buy a full price ticket and seat for their infant if they want to take them along in F? I'm asking because the latter is AF's position. It does not prevent people from taking infants in F, but if that is what the parents want, then they need to be ready to pay for the infant as though it was an adult. There are also no child discounts in F. Where trying to keep the F experience exclusive, this is, perhaps, not an absurd compromise.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 24, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Do you mean that infants cannot travel on GA F or that GA does not offer infant fares in F and parents therefore need to buy a full price ticket and seat for their infant if they want to take them along in F? I'm asking because the latter is AF's position. It does not prevent people from taking infants in F, but if that is what the parents want, then they need to be ready to pay for the infant as though it was an adult. Thee are also no child discounts in F. Where trying to keep the F experience exclusive, this is, perhaps, not an absurd compromise.
I think this is rather sensible. It also reduces the argument about who has more/less rights to disturb others on the basis of fares paid or not paid by one notch
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Do you mean that infants cannot travel on GA F or that GA does not offer infant fares in F and parents therefore need to buy a full price ticket and seat for their infant if they want to take them along in F? I'm asking because the latter is AF's position. It does not prevent people from taking infants in F, but if that is what the parents want, then they need to be ready to pay for the infant as though it was an adult. Thee are also no child discounts in F. Where trying to keep the F experience exclusive, this is, perhaps, not an absurd compromise.
I believe you are correct , you are able to book a extra seat , your are just not able to buy a infants ticket, Garuda also sells Mileage tickets for Infants at full value , recently we bought a one way upgrade short haul and rather than 16,000 mile it was 24,000 as the infant is charged at full fare (mileage)

Even in the cheapest Y tickets extra pillows , cushions and baby food is provided

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.