Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by woglet86
obvious things I can't compare are outstation lounge provision (BA lounge provision in DOH vs QR lounge provision in LHR) - haven't used them.
Thanks for sharing, interesting observations!

There are indeed some areas BA comes close to QR in, but outstation lounges are not one of them - even the people who post information from BA on social media wouldn't defend any of BA's business class lounges against QR's Heathrow one!

Many people would say it's actually better than the Concorde Room, and against T5 Galleries Club there's no competition. As for BA in Doha...
Knickam likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 710 77345

There are indeed some areas BA comes close to QR in, but outstation lounges are not one of them - even the people who post information from BA on social media wouldn't defend any of BA's business class lounges against QR's Heathrow one!

.................................................. .
Perhaps it's a good thing (in terms of potential volume of users) that QR's excellent LHR lounge is 'tucked away' in T4. If QR flew from say, T3, their lounge would no doubt see as many BA lounge defectors as does the CX facility ......
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
Perhaps it's a good thing (in terms of potential volume of users) that QR's excellent LHR lounge is 'tucked away' in T4. If QR flew from say, T3, their lounge would no doubt see as many BA lounge defectors as does the CX facility ......
QR does do a good thing with its lounge in that it only permits those in 1st or business class to enter it. This would cut down on the number of other users defecting from other lounges at least down to those in 1st/business if it did depart from T3
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
QR does do a good thing with its lounge in that it only permits those in 1st or business class to enter it. This would cut down on the number of other users defecting from other lounges at least down to those in 1st/business if it did depart from T3
Looking forward to trying it out. Taking the QR big bird on Monday morning to SIN with the obligatory cursory 'search' at Doha's transit area mid route...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by brentford77
Looking forward to trying it out. Taking the QR big bird on Monday morning to SIN with the obligatory cursory 'search' at Doha's transit area mid route...
Hopefully you get to avoid the transit search altogether... do let us know what you think of the lounge and the overall service!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hopefully you get to avoid the transit search altogether... do let us know what you think of the lounge and the overall service!
I have been lucky enough never to have a transit search in Doha when transferring from a ex LHR Qatar flight ^
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by brentford77
As waiting rooms for flights go, I think it is a nice one ; during the huur I had there waiting for my MH flight, had some nice food in its dining room past the buffet
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels

Many people would say it's actually better than the Concorde Room, and against T5 Galleries Club there's no competition. As for BA in Doha...
I will balance this with the news that not all QR outstation lounges are that great. In FRA they use AC's Maple Leaf Lounge for example. Not as good as BA's GC IMHO.

They also lumbered us with their A350 LATAM version which wasn't brilliant either.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:13 pm

As waiting rooms for flights go, I think it is a nice one ; during the huur I had there waiting for my MH flight, had some nice food in its dining room past the buffet
Not sure whether you are referring to the Al Mourjan (Business Class Lounge) but when I was there yesterday they were also serving some decent wines. A couple of chasers of Brane Cantenac after the Billecart Salmon helped deaden the pain
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Not sure whether you are referring to the Al Mourjan (Business Class Lounge) but when I was there yesterday they were also serving some decent wines. A couple of chasers of Brane Cantenac after the Billecart Salmon helped deaden the pain
I was referring to the lounge at Heathrow

What QR also does do well at its lounges is having decent soft drink options unlike several airlines' lounes
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I will balance this with the news that not all QR outstation lounges are that great.
Very true, and they will also put F passengers in partner's business lounges in some locations which is pretty shocking.

But - for London based travellers - their business class London lounge is quite possibly the best lounge at LHR.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:52 pm

But - for London based travellers - their business class London lounge is quite possibly the best lounge at LHR.
Agreed. Do they still have the massive jars of Lindor chocolates in the dining room with empty boxes for you to fill up?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
QR does do a good thing with its lounge in that it only permits those in 1st or business class to enter it.
This is only the lounges in Doha as LHR lounge has a normal OW policy
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nuster
This is only the lounges in Doha as LHR lounge has a normal OW policy
No it doesn't

The LHR lounge has the same restriction

From https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...ccess/LHR/1139

Originally Posted by OneWorld
Note: For Qatar Airways and oneworld First and Business class ticketed revenue customers only. Guests are not permitted.
Also in the exceptions list for access via status

Originally Posted by OneWorld
The following exceptions apply:
.4. Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There are indeed some areas BA comes close to QR in, but outstation lounges are not one of them
What a bizarre statement. Most QR outstation lounges are shared. Let's list the airports where BA lounge beats QR....

MAN
AMS
IAH
EDI
JFK

I'll leave it up to others to extend the list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.