Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

Title says it all really: why am I spending any money on shoddy CW where better alternatives exist ?

SOF-DOH in a slightly ropey A320 but seats were wide and comfortable, food was good enough, iPad made up for lack of IFE and service was impeccable.

Dedicated minibus on arrival, immigration took 5 minutes, DOH a joy to navigate...

DOH-BKK on A380 - wow oh wow !! Great seat, LOVED the bar on the upper deck, food was delicious, service was stellar (no glass left unfilled), any comparison to CW would just be cruel...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just done LHR - DOH. I needed the BA flights this time to get status but never again... it will be QR every time while I have a choice.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
Title says it all really: why am I spending any money on shoddy CW where better alternatives exist ?

SOF-DOH in a slightly ropey A320 but seats were wide and comfortable, food was good enough, iPad made up for lack of IFE and service was impeccable.

Dedicated minibus on arrival, immigration took 5 minutes, DOH a joy to navigate...

DOH-BKK on A380 - wow oh wow !! Great seat, LOVED the bar on the upper deck, food was delicious, service was stellar (no glass left unfilled), any comparison to CW would just be cruel...
Don't feel ashamed! BA don't care anymore about the pax, so why should you?!

Ive just flow Swiss in F for a similar price to BA, there is no turning back now!
Dave_C, brewdog11, Firipu and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:38 am

I'm sure the usuals will be along very soon to tell you that you are in fact wrong, or QR's safety performance is not to their liking, or their cabin crew are robots

But I agree with every point you make. CW is only good for very short overnights, with no service required. There are much better alternatives almost everywhere, not just QR.
Dave_C, lhrpete, passy777 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by rossmacd; Oct 20, 2017 at 7:09 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
The long-haul on the A380 is particularly nice. I was fortunate enough to experience this from DOH to SYD. Loved the bar in the back
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Meh
Why ashamed? BA is very mid division and getting worse, relative to the competition.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
I recently flew LGW-AGP with BA on a mileage run (CE) I was baffled why only the first row pax were greeted?? maybe 8 rows of CE were too much effort
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm a 100% leisure flyer and so can choose who I fly with. The QR product is overall quite nice but after a ARN-DOH-SIN (B787 and A350) I don't think I would personally do it again.

My own views:

1) The seat is too open for me. Give me a window in CW with the divider up in my own little cubicle. I felt the QR seat was much firmer than the CW seat.

2) Food was good on QR but no better than BA's.

3) The service was a bit overbearing at times on all 4 sectors. I really felt like I was almost constantly being watched, hovering around my aisle and at times every 5/10 minutes and the cabin crews although very nice were a bit robotic. I prefer BA crews by far who deliver a far more personal touch.

4) The hand held IFE controls were far too fiddly/over sensitive for my liking.

5) The lounge was nice but lacked atmosphere and the food was warm.

6) Going to the far east I'd rather just get there in one go and not transit, however QR is a great way for TP's I agree. They do Priority boarding much better but QR are not for me as a traveller.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I really wouldn't make this too complicated. If on a given day / flight Qatar is the best option then just go for it. I have just landed off a Doha flight on the A380, it was a nice flight, it was by no means full, but the reason I was on it was because the direct BA LHR service from Asia was totally full and sold out on fares twice as high as QR across the board. I had the choice, as did everyone prepared to change aircraft, there was also TK in the same price bracket.

None of this is a problem at all - what is a problem is when we don't have this choice.

Originally Posted by spec119
I recently flew LGW-AGP with BA on a mileage run (CE) I was baffled why only the first row pax were greeted?? maybe 8 rows of CE were too much effort
I imagine that was where all the BA Golds were seated. At CE level that is as far as it goes, if at all, and other Emeralds typically won't get greeted.
HIDDY and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'm a 100% leisure flyer and so can choose who I fly with. The QR product is overall quite nice but after a ARN-DOH-SIN (B787 and A350) I don't think I would personally do it again.

My own views:

1) The seat is too open for me. Give me a window in CW with the divider up in my own little cubicle. I felt the QR seat was much firmer than the CW seat.

2) Food was good on QR but no better than BA's.

3) The service was a bit overbearing at times on all 4 sectors. I really felt like I was almost constantly being watched, hovering around my aisle and at times every 5/10 minutes and the cabin crews although very nice were a bit robotic. I prefer BA crews by far who deliver a far more personal touch.

4) The hand held IFE controls were far too fiddly/over sensitive for my liking.

5) The lounge was nice but lacked atmosphere and the food was warm.

6) Going to the far east I'd rather just get there in one go and not transit, however QR is a great way for TP's I agree. They do Priority boarding much better but QR are not for me as a traveller.
I think five of your six points are entirely down to personal likings and taste.

However, regarding food, my experience of over 20 sectors on QR is that they have consistently beaten BA CW for both the quality, taste and presentation of their meal service - more on a par with BA First IMHO.
JacksonOBrian likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Just done LHR - DOH. I needed the BA flights this time to get status but never again... it will be QR every time while I have a choice.
No other BA flights you could pick up?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:49 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by pjh981
I think five of your six points are entirely down to personal likings and taste.

However, regarding food, my experience of over 20 sectors on QR is that they have consistently beaten BA CW for both the quality, taste and presentation of their meal service - more on a par with BA First IMHO.
Are you claiming that of all things, food is not a matter of personal taste? (Unless your 'however' was not meant to signify the 6th point?)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by pjh981

No, it's not down to my own personal liking and taste but the soft and hard product offerings. Choosing between the two overall I prefer BA.

BA F food is superior to QR J in my view but each to their own on that debate.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
No, it's not down to my own personal liking and taste but the soft and hard product offerings. Choosing between the two overall I prefer BA.
But it is your personal liking for the soft and hard products.

That is a personal preference, not a fact, as there are people who take the opposite view.
lhrpete, headingwest and Knickam like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by simons1
But it is your personal liking for the soft and hard products.

That is a personal preference, not a fact, as there are people who take the opposite view.
I never said anything about facts, there are no facts when choosing an airline. People choose what they like, price, routings, cabin, food/lounge offerings etc and rightly so and of course it is a personal preference. I just think BA is better overall making comparisons and was expressing my views. If people prefer QR then fine, I can see why but it's not for me.
PJSMITH0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.