Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MAN experts - any experiences of flexibility on connecting flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate

Does anyone have any recent experiences flying MAN-LHR-Long Haul which have involved asking at Manchester to be moved to a different flight?

I've currently got a 60 min connection at LHR onto the 183 to JFK, which is the last flight of the day. So I'm wondering how flexible BA might be on the day in letting me get an earlier flight to LHR to protect the connection?

As its a connecting ticket, I don't think the 'Same Day Flight Change' will work for me.

Also, as its an I Class Fare, I cant change it myself in advance.

Has anyone had any success with such a change? At Manchester? Or I guess any other UK station? If so, am I best going to a ticketing desk to ask? or just at the Check in Desk.

Or should I not worry and just hope theres a jaguar waiting at the bottom of the steps when I get to LHR?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The only time I've had this was when my MAN-LHR flight was delayed. As we were checking in our bags, the agent noticed we'd be very tight, so pro-actively asked if we'd like to move to the preceding flight.

If your MAN-LHR is on time, I doubt they'd move you. More often than not, you'd arrived into LHR early or at least on time, as the MAN-LHR flights have a 1:10 flight time, when you're in the air only around 35-40 minutes.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
As its a connecting ticket, I don't think the 'Same Day Flight Change' will work for me.

Also, as its an I Class Fare, I cant change it myself in advance.
You are right that this wouldn't be a "plus" fare and therefore free changes dn't apply.

You can probably change to an earlier flight but I suspect there is a 100 change fee and fare difference to pay - if there is I class available on the earlier flight you want to change to the fare difference should be zero.

Having said all that I agree with DYKWIA. Also bear in mind the DOM-INT connection at T5 is very easy and just involves a bp check so really should be fine.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can probably change to an earlier flight but I suspect there is a 100 change fee and fare difference to pay - if there is I class available on the earlier flight you want to change to the fare difference should be zero.
That segment is booked into the J fare class but the booking itself is restricted by the more stringent I class rules which the long haul sector is booked in. Hence it says I cant change it online.

The flight up to MAN is so short by the time you know if theres a delay or not its too late to change to the earlier flight. Just a 15 min delay in push back or taxiing can be enough.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The critical component here is checked baggage: if you have checked baggage the only way this will happen is if your flight is more than 20 minutes late at check in stage, if it's still looking on time then they won't move you (and you'll make the flight jag or no jag, it only takes 15 minutes to get to B, tops, and they can't close the door until T-20 minutes, plus there is some fat in the Manchester timing). Once your bags are checked, that is it at MAN (and many other places). A 15 minute delay isn't worth worrying about, you'd make the flight.

If HBO and there is a last minute drifting / bad weather then it's possible the lounge agent will be able to be flexible, but you can't count on it.

Clearly if you don't make the flight you'll just be rebooked to the next day, however don't forget to ask them to check the last BOS-JFK link, if it's one of those days where the last BOS is still do-able.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Some good tips.
Will leave check in of the bags to the last minute and keep an eye on the knock on and will check the BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.