Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Quark999
Interesting! Perhaps that is the development they've been waiting for?
It's just one stage. In April Eutelsat appealed the French decision to license the EAN. That could take months to sort out.

https://spacenews.com/eutelsat-takes...s-ean-license/

I'm sure at some point Viasat and Eutelsat will give up as this must be costing them money and they don't seem to be having any success apart from delaying the EAN launch. Or maybe that's all they want to do until they get their own systems up and running?

Last edited by Schind; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:58 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:01 pm

I flew SEA-LHR on G-BYGE. When I checked, the WiFi signal was available, but the Website it takes you to said that Internet access was not yet active. That was early in the flight, and I didn't check later. When we were starting the descent, CC announced that the WiFi would be closing down along with IFE, so maybe they fired it up mid-flight.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Its automatically switched on above 10,000 feet.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Is there anyway to check in advance (and how far out) which longhaul route the one wifi enabled A380 is provisionally scheduled for (assuming no late swaps). Selfishly I'd like g-xleg on LHR-HKG-LHR route as thats the only A380 I'm likely to fly, though could in theory fly via SIN instead.

I can see from flightradar24 history G-XLEG flies all the routes, some more frequently than others, but without any underlying pattern I can concern.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Is there anyway to check in advance (and how far out) which longhaul route the one wifi enabled A380 is provisionally scheduled for (assuming no late swaps). Selfishly I'd like g-xleg on LHR-HKG-LHR route as thats the only A380 I'm likely to fly, though could in theory fly via SIN instead.

I can see from flightradar24 history G-XLEG flies all the routes, some more frequently than others, but without any underlying pattern I can concern.
If you want WiFi you’d have a much better chance going for the 77W flight to HKG, as 6 out of 12 of them are fitted with wifi giving you a 50/50 chance of getting WiFi compared to the 1 out of 12 on the A380.

Taking CX from Gatwick would also give you WiFi with their A350.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I flew SEA to LHR on Friday (747-400), and WiFi was available. I was surprised at the cost, especially when compared to Emirates at $1 for 600MB. I’ve used the Emirates WiFi before and it was fine; I felt the BA offering was too expensive.

Or am I just tight?
AA's long haul wifi, which works quite well most of the time [1], is $19 for the whole flight. So it's comparable pricing to their JBV ventures. Frankly, especially since I know in detail how complex the infrastructure is, you're expecting a lower cost than is practical.

Of course it has to work; Emirates might be cheap, but as noted below it doesn't always work. Emirates may also treat it as a loss-leader, quarterly and annual results with shareholder return are not their main focus as a company.

[1] One time it did not work very well but I had dismissed the experience as just something that can happen - Internet access from an aircraft flying over Iceland is a dancing bear, the wonder is that it dances at all not that it dances well. I was pleasantly and very surprised to receive an email a few days later with a refund of my payment because the experience had been less than promised, without action on my part. Is any other airline (than AA) actively monitoring the network service quality and refunding when it's bad?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by flatlander
AA's long haul wifi, which works quite well most of the time [1], is $19 for the whole flight. So it's comparable pricing to their JBV ventures. Frankly, especially since I know in detail how complex the infrastructure is, you're expecting a lower cost than is practical.

Of course it has to work; Emirates might be cheap, but as noted below it doesn't always work. Emirates may also treat it as a loss-leader, quarterly and annual results with shareholder return are not their main focus as a company.

[1] One time it did not work very well but I had dismissed the experience as just something that can happen - Internet access from an aircraft flying over Iceland is a dancing bear, the wonder is that it dances at all not that it dances well. I was pleasantly and very surprised to receive an email a few days later with a refund of my payment because the experience had been less than promised, without action on my part. Is any other airline (than AA) actively monitoring the network service quality and refunding when it's bad?
Cathay is USD19.95 for the whole flight LGW HKG
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I flew SEA to LHR on Friday (747-400), and WiFi was available. I was surprised at the cost, especially when compared to Emirates at $1 for 600MB. I’ve used the Emirates WiFi before and it was fine; I felt the BA offering was too expensive.

Or am I just tight?
Reminds me of the hotels and Wi-Fi. In the early days it was paid for, now it's free usually.

EK is variable I agree. The 380s seem fine but the 777s mixed. However the live TV on EK was a bonus, I was on a flight to Johannesburg when England played Sweden and half the cabin was watching.

Is it a loss leader - I really dont know what the depreciation of the kit and the satellite connection costs. Maybe it isn't that much?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Is there anyway to check in advance (and how far out) which longhaul route the one wifi enabled A380 is provisionally scheduled for (assuming no late swaps).
IME, as a member of the public, usually no more than 24 hours ahead or so ex-LON, via flightradar24.com. You may get a little more time on the inbound flight if you know which outbound flight the aircraft will operate.

If one has access to inside information, my suspicion is that the aircraft allocation is done at about T-72h, as that's when a lot of things seem to happen.
scubaccr and tia2013 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

flying with kid will i have wifi???

hi everyone-leaving this sunday night flight 212 bos to lhr.....anyway to tell if we will have wifi?? my kids will be so bummed if we don't [as will i!]

thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by angsmoth
hi everyone-leaving this sunday night flight 212 bos to lhr.....anyway to tell if we will have wifi?? my kids will be so bummed if we don't [as will i!]

thanks!
I wouldn't hold your breath, you have a zero percent chance of having wifi on that flight currently. BA212 is operated by a Airbus A380 on Sunday, only one A380 has wifi currently and that aircraft will be somewhere between Johannesburg and London on Sunday.

Things can change but it's very unlikely at best.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:47 am

The whole Viasat v Inmarsat thing got another write-up on Runway Girl Network yesterday. Viasat are saying they'll keep challenging the legality of the EAN, Inmarsat are saying "we remain on track for commercial service launch to passengers later this year."

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...-inmarsat-win/
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Yes
Thanks for that link!

we remain on track for commercial service launch to passengers later this year.
*cough* What track might that be - the one that had it "fully operational" in September 2017? The launch in 1H 2018? The launch by July 2018?
Schind likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:18 pm

Am I the only person on Earth who is delighted to be in a Wi-Fi-free zone, and not have people's phones beeping the whole time?
jfallesen likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chucko
I flew SEA-LHR on G-BYGE. When I checked, the WiFi signal was available, but the Website it takes you to said that Internet access was not yet active. That was early in the flight, and I didn't check later. When we were starting the descent, CC announced that the WiFi would be closing down along with IFE, so maybe they fired it up mid-flight.
it’s working fine right now 😀
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.