Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have I upset the BA Gods (CSM greetings)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why would any company not allow employees to pay their own dime for upgrades?
For some, because there is a reputational risk for any of their employees to be seen in business class, regardless of how they got there. This would be done on a defensive basis, because those who see, notice and publicise the fact are unlikely to be privy to information about how the employees got into business class and may therefore spread scurrilous or merely uninformed suggestions (particularly in this age of social media) which the company cannot in practice defend itself against. So it is better to have a rule that the employee must not upgrade or be upgraded.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For some, because there is a reputational risk for any of their employees to be seen in business class, regardless of how they got there. This would be done on a defensive basis, because those who see, notice and publicise the fact are unlikely to be privy to information about how the employees got into business class and may therefore spread scurrilous or merely uninformed suggestions (particularly in this age of social media) which the company cannot in practice defend itself against. So it is better to have a rule that the employee must not upgrade or be upgraded.
There can also be internal problems. For example - I do a lot of UUA. I always made a point of saying it was on my dime (and on my points) to anyone who saw me.

Didn't stop rumours spreading that I was "always" in business and "must" be charging it to the company. To the point the CFO came for a chat and was fine about it but suggested I stop for a bit when travelling with others to let the rumours die down.

What had happened, as far as I could make out, was that someone had said (in a .....ing session about the travel policy) 'well MPH1980 is in business a lot' ... 'how???' ... 'not sure ... he does it some how'. Chinese whispers kicked in and, by the time it had looped the company, I was some how defrauding them.

Appearance can be everything.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
For example - I do a lot of UUA. I always made a point of saying it was on my dime (and on my points) to anyone who saw me.
Could you have added it to your work email signature?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
someone seen to be in the wrong cabin raises questions as to whether that person is on some sort of better/secret contract.
Yes, my old boss got very upset when he found out I was flying Ansett instead of Qantas (it could have impacted on his Chairmans Lounge membership!).

Didn't cost the organisation anything, apart from maybe the kickbacks, but I then became peronna non grata (almost).

Oh, and is it correct (as indicated in an above post) that one is seamlessly reduced to Silver if one doesn't manage to requalify for Gold (I assume that one still has to fly the 4 segments). I think that'll be me in the future.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Grace B
Oh, and is it correct (as indicated in an above post) that one is seamlessly reduced to Silver if one doesn't manage to requalify for Gold (I assume that one still has to fly the 4 segments). I think that'll be me in the future.
Yes, you go to Silver. Search for "soft landing" for more details.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, you go to Silver. Search for "soft landing" for more details.
Thanks cws. Looks like I'll be OWS with BA and QF in 2019 then. Unless I have a rush of blood (or cash) to the head then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.