Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have I upset the BA Gods (CSM greetings)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Three reasons: generally upgrading on a promotional rate increases the inflexibility and cost of any changes, and that often falls on to the ticket issuer (the company's travel agent). Secondly the company's deal with BA could be based on looking at sales in one particular cabin, the more sold the better. Upgrading is perceived (not always correctly) as taking the ticket out of the consideration for the statistics on sales. Finally the old fairness issue, when many companies have an economy only programme for all staff and directors, someone seen to be in the wrong cabin raises questions as to whether that person is on some sort of better/secret contract.
Also, a fourth reason: those of us in service industries (i.e. where ultimately your client pays for your travel, not your employer) are often subject to our clients' travel policies. Where that's not the case, clients will still sometimes request travel reports to scrutinise our travel costs and check that they are reasonable -- and so even if I've upgraded myself, the cabin flown would still show up on the report and it's usually not worth the hassle of explaining to valued clients. It's also extremely awkward to fly on the same flight as your client if you've upgraded yourself -- once got an OpUp and felt duty bound to offer it to my client...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Also, a fourth reason: those of us in service industries (i.e. where ultimately your client pays for your travel, not your employer) are often subject to our clients' travel policies. Where that's not the case, clients will still sometimes request travel reports to scrutinise our travel costs and check that they are reasonable -- and so even if I've upgraded myself, the cabin flown would still show up on the report and it's usually not worth the hassle of explaining to valued clients. It's also extremely awkward to fly on the same flight as your client if you've upgraded yourself -- once got an OpUp and felt duty bound to offer it to my client...
I certainly wouldn't! Wife, yes (anything for a little peace ). Client, no.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Three reasons: generally upgrading on a promotional rate increases the inflexibility and cost of any changes, and that often falls on to the ticket issuer (the company's travel agent). Secondly the company's deal with BA could be based on looking at sales in one particular cabin, the more sold the better. Upgrading is perceived (not always correctly) as taking the ticket out of the consideration for the statistics on sales. Finally the old fairness issue, when many companies have an economy only programme for all staff and directors, someone seen to be in the wrong cabin raises questions as to whether that person is on some sort of better/secret contract.
I'm sure you are right. But I understood that this policy approach was more about discouraging employees buying very (the most) expensive tickets in economy (or other inferior) class, to minimise the cost of upgrading.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:42 am

I always find the greetings a little uncomfortable and forced but then again I prefer just to be left alone on most flights.
rossmacd and HMPS like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Popped over to SIN from SYD yesterday in Y because it's a personal trip. Saw the CSM giving a "personal greeting" to two other people in the cabin but nothing to me.

To be honest I quite liked it because I find the personal greeting excruciatingly embarrassing but just wondered why I was left of the list... Is my CIV too low? Should I assume they were GGL rather than my lowly GCH? Or is my anxiety playing up again and I should ignore it all?
Don’t worry it probably because your not staff or related to the CSM.

Can’t recall the last time I was greeted on BA. But CX, QR and even AA do it every time.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by HMPS
Do ignore it.....most of the ggreetings are just "mechanical" !
i would challenge this. While many of these greetings do come across as mechanical - CX's execution springs to mind, I have not found BA's SCCM greetings in anyway mechanical. It's true one shouldn't expect a greeting but when I get them, I view the interaction as a genuine ice breaker.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I always find the greetings a little uncomfortable and forced but then again I prefer just to be left alone on most flights.
Can't recall the last time it happened to me on BA. Flew CX on four sectors last week and on every one was visited by the senior cabin crew member and thanked. A nice touch. Not to mention the seat, the price, the food etc...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:44 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I like it when I get the greeter and offer of Champagne in economy, but don't mind when I don't get it.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Off topic. Seriously you should consider quitting. Why would any company not allow employees to pay their own dime for upgrades?
I have only just started! (well four months ago)

Thanks corporate-wage-slave.

A bit of one and a large helping of three. The request ended up with the CEO () who was concerned, especially as I work in a control function, that someone might become aware that I was in J but not understand that I had paid the difference myself. Disappointing but not the end of the world, (probably...).

Thanks subject2load for the reassurance that I "will pull through". ^

Very comforting and some LPGS Dutch courage in the CCR will certainly also help on the outbound. The money I save can, if required, be put towards some post flight therapy.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Sep 23, 2017 at 1:57 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by subject2load
Sounds very much like Mr. Ikea himself .............

"Ingvar Kamprad has become one of the richest men in the world yet he retains and embodies a frugal approach. In his late 80s he still travelled the world to visit IKEA stores. He drives and old Volvo car, stays in cheap hotels and flies economy class. He addresses IKEA employees as ‘co-workers’ and encourages everyone to dress informally, enjoy work, give excellent service and keep costs down."

http://www.destination-innovation.co...al-innovation/
I'm sorry but I cannot like this. If I were in my 80s and fabulously wealthy I would use (my own dime) to fly more comfortably in J or F internationally.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
flyingmonkie you really are asking the wrong people if you have offended the gods, we mortals are only concerned with our anxieties with the gods; will we get upgraded the next time we fly, which is better1F or 33e etc you have to ask the gods themselves. Luckily there is a way to get a certain answer.

On your return to SYD in Y keep the small water carton from the flight unopened and your boarding pass (printed version). Return home and build a BBQ outside, when the fires burn hot place your boarding pass on the fires and open the carton of BA water. IF at this point you could dress in previously used BA F PJ's it would be good but if not just smear some of the lip balm on your face from the BA CW amenity kit. Now dance clockwise 2 complete circles while shouting Y Y Y. Next complete 2 circles anticlockwise shouting WTP WTP. Next 2 clockwise dance shouting J J J and then 2 circles anticlockwise shouting F F F. Now sprinkle the water in the four directions of the compass and shout Cruz tell me please.

IF the smoke drifts north then the gods despise you, you will never be greeted again. If south they gods have forgiven you and you will be greeted again in WTP, J and F but not in Y. IF the smoke drifts west then you will be forgiven but first you have to suffer a penance and your luggage will be lost next time you fly. If it drifts east then the gods would really rather you flew China Southern in future. If it drifts straight up then gods will make it up to you next time you fly by thanking you for your continued belief in them over the PA at least 5 times.

Please don't do this in SIN, the authorities are not understanding.
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Prospero
i would challenge this. While many of these greetings do come across as mechanical - CX's execution springs to mind, I have not found BA's SCCM greetings in anyway mechanical. It's true one shouldn't expect a greeting but when I get them, I view the interaction as a genuine ice breaker.
As always YMMV. I am glad you said While many of these greetings do come across as mechanical -" as they are. It also as you point out a person's viewpoint or habits to interpret something as an ice breaker. I personally prefer a bright genuine smile ( am always happier boarding a premium cabin) and if I get what I perceive as a genuine smile back I have broken the ice.
Perhaps with your status and frequent patronage they know you and know as a seasoned traveler you will not make unusual demands.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
A bit of one and a large helping of three. The request ended up with the CEO () who was concerned, especially as I work in a control function, that someone might become aware that I was in J but not understand that I had paid the difference myself. Disappointing but not the end of the world, (probably...).
Our old corporate TA could issue the itinerary and invoice in Y that's charged to my corporate card, then change it to upgrade to J with a separate itinerary and invoice, that's charged to my personal credit card. So the company doesn't know of the personally paid upgrade.

That said, once we changed to a new corporate TA, they refused to do that anymore.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Our old corporate TA could issue the itinerary and invoice in Y that's charged to my corporate card, then change it to upgrade to J with a separate itinerary and invoice, that's charged to my personal credit card. So the company doesn't know of the personally paid upgrade.

That said, once we changed to a new corporate TA, they refused to do that anymore.
That was a savvy TA who understood who made his/her paycheck larger ! You would be in a pickle if someone else from your company ( think boss!) would see you in J from a Y seat.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Off topic. Seriously you should consider quitting. Why would any company not allow employees to pay their own dime for upgrades?
I think you must live in a very different world to 99.9% of us if you'd consider leaving a good job over this. Good for you though.

I like the sound of Mr IKEA, if only more successful people could be so humble, the world would likely be a much better place. There seem to be plenty of far less important people here who like to make it clear that Y Is just unconscionable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.