Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 tyres - two burst incidents in 3 days

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A380 tyres - two burst incidents in 3 days

Earlier in the week, there was a thread regarding BA55/56 and it's overnight delay.

That, it transpired, was due to a tyre bursting on landing, and a piece of rubber damaging the fuselage.

Yesterday, a friend of mine en route to LAX on BA269, was delayed due to 'a burst tyre' (according to the Captain).

Now I'm sure burst tyres are relatively common, but are the A380 tyres more susceptible to bursting than those of a 747 (for example)?

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:26 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Could it be the same aircraft operating or perhaps a knock on delay from the incident earlier in the week?
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by madfish
Could it be the same aircraft operating or perhaps a knock on delay from the incident earlier in the week?
I initially thought that, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

M
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
Neither were actually tyre bursts either.

One was some tread detaching from a main wheel and hitting the wing, and the other was a nose wheel damaged by a push back tug.
msm2000uk likes this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:43 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
You appear correct, the delayed BA268 was operated by G-XLEB whilst the aircraft with the original alleged burst tyre appears to be:

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
Just to update on this. In the event the crew were very informative on the reasons for the delay: the original aircraft (G-XLEE) scheduled for BA 055 on the evening of 17th burst a tyre on landing at LHR from LAX that morning, and tyre debris damaged the aircraft fuselage skin and also a window, and had to be taken out of service. The only possible replacement (G-XLEF) could not be made available until the following day, hence the 15 hour delay in departure.

Much time was made up at JNB but eventually we landed this morning 330 minutes late (flightstats.com) so it seems clear to me that there were no allowable exceptional circumstances, and my 261 claim will be for Euros 600 for each of me and Mrs Charlie Whiskey.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Neither were actually tyre bursts either.

One was some tread detaching from a main wheel and hitting the wing, and the other was a nose wheel damaged by a push back tug.
Ah, that's interesting.

Odd, perhaps, for the Captain to simply say it was a 'burst tyre', but then I suppose that was far easier than explaining something that passengers may not understand.

Thanks for the info jumbodriver

M
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:52 am

Colleague was on the delayed BA268. There was a two hour delay whilst they sat waiting for the tyre to be fixed. The announcement from the Captain was indeed burst tyre rather than nose wheel damage by .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.