Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
More likely it's built by a robot��
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: ASLEF
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
It took ages to accept driverless trains but they are mostly accepted now
Automatic Train Operation and driverless trains are two very different things.
I have just over 37 years to state retirement age and I hope not to be replaced by a computer before they have elapsed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TrainDriverSparky
Automatic Train Operation and driverless trains are two very different things.
You are absolutely right... The Victoria Line on the Underground was designed, and intended to be, driverless but the unions disagreed and they became automated with ATOs. It wasn't only the unions though that had trouble accepting this. A lot of the reason beind not making the Victoria Line driverless was that the public couldn't accept it.

Things have moved on now and so The Docklands Light Railway on the other hand is full automatic and driverless. That obstacle has been overcome by the unions and the public and that is why I believe that fully automatic, driverless vehicles will become a reality eventually. It makes a lot of sense in so many way that it is inevitable. But it is the timescales being touted by the manufacturers that I have an issue with.

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:07 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Things have moved on now and so The Docklands Light Railway on the other hand is full automatic and driverless.
Every time I've been on the DLR, I sit in the front as I like to 'drive' the train.

There's almost always an engineer on board. What's a DLR engineer if not a driver?
snaxmuppet and bhbloke like this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
Every time I've been on the DLR, I sit in the front as I like to 'drive' the train.

There's almost always an engineer on board. What's a DLR engineer if not a driver?
I think engineer is overstating the abilities of the CSO, they're supposed to check tickets and be there in case of any issues. The guys in the control room do most of the hard work, with only the occasional bit of shunting required from the person on the train.

You're normally lucky to get the seat at the front so you can pretend to drive, the CSO normally bags that seat and pretends to drive
Roger likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:24 am

Well... I suppose you could call him/her an engineer or driver but they don't drive the train and have no real engineering skills (in the train sense that is)... they are more of a guard/revenue inspector really.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I wonder what'll happen with these automated push back machines if/when it snows?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I wonder what'll happen with these automated push back machines if/when it snows?
As long as it's the right type of snow, the machines will function.

If it's the wrong type, well then...

M
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
For those opposed to the advances of technology, I would suggest you buy shares in Buggy makers, and whip makers.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
For those opposed to the advances of technology, I would suggest you buy shares in Buggy makers, and whip makers.
Whilst I tend to share your view, I would note that my typewriter works during power cuts, and (in the context of this thread) my paper boarding pass is not battery dependent.

There is sometimes a fine line between "because we can" and genuine, risk-free enhancements. In this case, it seems a genuine enhancement, provided battery management (30 aircraft before recharging, is it not?) ensures that the little tug-lets are always available.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:03 am

I think it is significant improvement regardless... the operator can move around the aircraft as he moves it and that have to be a huge improvement over one driving and one clearing. I know when I move my caravan with the battery mover it is much safer and easier to move into tight spaces.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The downside with the new remote controlled tugs is that it makes the push back take a lot longer, which is annoying when we are late and playing catchup.
How much longer, typically ? Is the time extension in the connect/disconnect, or the push speed ?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
How much longer, typically ? Is the time extension in the connect/disconnect, or the push speed ?
a bit of both, it takes about twice as long but half the manpower. LHR push backs are slow anyway - I have never seen a LHR pushback crew move faster than a shamble. On the other hand they are very diligent and often notice things on the aircraft which is important. The fastest pushback is in DUS where the drivers act like F1 drivers but I have never had a query as to the aircraft state from them.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The tug can travel at up to 6km/h

https://www.mototok.com/tugs

Owing to the relatively small distance involved I would imagine the impact on the push back would not be more than 1 or 2 minutes but I think at 501 there is some funny manoeuvring as you cant really reverse out and swing the tail to the left so it may have a bigger impact there.

It may take longer to attach the tug but I imagine that could be done while the aircraft is boarding so has no impact on turnround time.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
It may take longer to attach the tug but I imagine that could be done while the aircraft is boarding so has no impact on turnround time.
And the infamous "Waiting for a Tug" may be alleviated by having one "Mototok. shared between 2 stands and parked [whilst charging] between them.

An interesting cost equation ... more mini-tugs v. fewer staff v. more efficient push-back. It could be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.