Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold line refuse to offload me for "security reasons"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold line refuse to offload me for "security reasons"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A friend's firm has changed their travel to IAH to United (Y) after too many staff complained about BA. They can apparently change seats on the app right up to the time they board. This seems to be a great facility if correct
Yes, I used this facility last week when new better seats opened up on a UA flight using the UA app.

Originally Posted by evacboy
Sorry, yes, you're correct. The US carriers generally do this really well. Change from your phone/kiosk as many times as you want before you board.
AA usually closes their seat changes through the app about 1hr before departure, in my experience but still very flexible compared to BA.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
But surely it can get confusing if lots of people have different boarding passes with different seats.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have changed my seat on SK after getting a mobile BP and at the gate they printed a receipt with the new seat, which was not a replacement BP.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Exactly, on SK (and LH I believe) you can change a new site after OLCI (for example print BP at home, arrive at airport, go to kiosk to change seats and get a new BP) or on the app and then a seat receipt will sprout when scanning the BP at boarding. The multiple BP does not cause confusion, why should it ?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
But surely it can get confusing if lots of people have different boarding passes with different seats.
Not at all. The last fail safe (if you have not printed/downloaded the latest version) is at the gate. You will receive a new BP with the last seat you selected.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Yes, I used this facility last week when new better seats opened up on a UA flight using the UA app.

AA usually closes their seat changes through the app about 1hr before departure, in my experience but still very flexible compared to BA.
Does the same go for BA wetleases operated by QR? QR seems to be pretty flexible too for QR's regular flights.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the same go for BA wetleases operated by QR? QR seems to be pretty flexible too for QR's regular flights.
No, the wetleases operated by QR are fully managed as if they are regular BA flights, therefore the restrictive seating policy.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Most airlines with OLCI and App functionality allow it, even easyJet. Ryanair doesn't. My take on this is that actually BA were one of the first to offer this self print facility (many airlines still don't offer full OLCI) and when it was first introduced I remember airport staff and airlines were a bit worried about the implication of people having 2 boarding passes. In the good old days if you wanted a replacement boarding pass it was issued with some reluctance and the word "Duplicate" stamped or written on it. If you lost a boarding pass there was some expectation that you would hunt around to find it. Even when the app boarding passes first came out, there was a suggestion of blocking the printed version.

However time and experience has shown this is a complete non issue, but I suspect that's the reason behind it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Most airlines with OLCI and App functionality allow it, even easyJet. Ryanair doesn't. My take on this is that actually BA were one of the first to offer this self print facility (many airlines still don't offer full OLCI) and when it was first introduced I remember airport staff and airlines were a bit worried about the implication of people having 2 boarding passes. In the good old days if you wanted a replacement boarding pass it was issued with some reluctance and the word "Duplicate" stamped or written on it. If you lost a boarding pass there was some expectation that you would hunt around to find it. Even when the app boarding passes first came out, there was a suggestion of blocking the printed version.

However time and experience has shown this is a complete non issue, but I suspect that's the reason behind it.
I think this also explains the ripping-up process agents still do to your boarding pass if you change seats or are upgraded.

To me it always seems very dramatic. The agent does a final check of everything with new and old boarding passes and computer, then before handing over the new one there's a ceremonial tearing up of the old.

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I think this also explains the ripping-up process agents still do to your boarding pass if you change seats or are upgraded.

To me it always seems very dramatic. The agent does a final check of everything with new and old boarding passes and computer, then before handing over the new one there's a ceremonial tearing up of the old.

When I do OLCI, I always print an extra boarding pass. Then, if some agent tries to change my seat to one I don't want, I have the old boarding pass to prove what my original seat had been. They can rip up the one boarding pass I show them as much as they want and it doesn't matter--I still have the document to complain after the fact.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I do OLCI, I always print an extra boarding pass. Then, if some agent tries to change my seat to one I don't want, I have the old boarding pass to prove what my original seat had been. They can rip up the one boarding pass I show them as much as they want and it doesn't matter--I still have the document to complain after the fact.
Oh me too! I have the desk-printed, and the home printed and the app sometimes.

It makes the ripping up seem even stranger.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Odd interaction with the gold line this evening.

I have a BA flight tomorrow. Now normally I don't retrieve my boarding pass at OLCI, however for some reason I did. And so, sod's law, after doing so I received an Expertflyer notification that a better seat had opened up.

In the past, I have phoned BA, they have offloaded me, so that I can OLCI again and choose a different seat.

Not possible, sir. "Policy". "Security reasons".

Patently, a BA phone agents job will be offloading passengers from flights day-in-day-out, from flexible tickets, seat changes, etc.

Anyone able to explain the possible "security" concern? Or just yet another asinine anti-customer BA policy?
You made a bit of a newbie mistake there eh?
Given your anger I'd be interested to know which seat you had and which one became free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.