Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold line refuse to offload me for "security reasons"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold line refuse to offload me for "security reasons"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy BA Gold line refuse to offload me for "security reasons"?

Odd interaction with the gold line this evening.

I have a BA flight tomorrow. Now normally I don't retrieve my boarding pass at OLCI, however for some reason I did. And so, sod's law, after doing so I received an Expertflyer notification that a better seat had opened up.

In the past, I have phoned BA, they have offloaded me, so that I can OLCI again and choose a different seat.

Not possible, sir. "Policy". "Security reasons".

Patently, a BA phone agents job will be offloading passengers from flights day-in-day-out, from flexible tickets, seat changes, etc.

Anyone able to explain the possible "security" concern? Or just yet another asinine anti-customer BA policy?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than the agent was being a bit of a jobsworth!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I can't think of anything, HUACA?
aks120 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Odd interaction with the gold line this evening.

I have a BA flight tomorrow. Now normally I don't retrieve my boarding pass at OLCI, however for some reason I did. And so, sod's law, after doing so I received an Expertflyer notification that a better seat had opened up.

In the past, I have phoned BA, they have offloaded me, so that I can OLCI again and choose a different seat.

Not possible, sir. "Policy". "Security reasons".

Patently, a BA phone agents job will be offloading passengers from flights day-in-day-out, from flexible tickets, seat changes, etc.

Anyone able to explain the possible "security" concern? Or just yet another asinine anti-customer BA policy?
Im assuming you passed data protection so you could discuss the booking?? Also you dont need to be offloaded to do this. Managers in the contact centres have access to be able to move seats at check in provides they arent already taken.
PETER01 and Stez like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Anonba
Im assuming you passed data protection so you could discuss the booking?? Also you dont need to be offloaded to do this. Managers in the contact centres have access to be able to move seats at check in provides they arent already taken.
That's a very useful post ^
gingeola likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Anonba
I had passed data protection at the start of the call, yes.

And yes, I was able to have my seat changed without being offloaded, but only after a lengthy hold. Whereas being offloaded would take them one/two(?) mouse clicks.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
for this I sometimes dial the web-support number.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I had passed data protection at the start of the call, yes.

And yes, I was able to have my seat changed without being offloaded, but only after a lengthy hold. Whereas being offloaded would take them one/two(?) mouse clicks.
We arent supposed to offload for moving seats as it can cause problems. It could mean that at the least arent able to check back in online. So if the person you spoke to moves the seat by talking to a manager they followed the correct process. Yes while it can take longer its better to wait and do it this way.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Wait, can't you change seats after you OLCI after getting the boarding pass? I thought this was possible "View/Change Seat in OLCI" or something?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by evacboy
Wait, can't you change seats after you OLCI after getting the boarding pass? I thought this was possible "View/Change Seat in OLCI" or something?
Only possible before you have created ANY kind of BP - be it via the app, e-mailed or printed. Once you've done that, then you're locked in.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by evacboy
No. You can change seats via OLCI as long as you have not printed or downloaded your boarding pass. Once you have done that, you can't change via OLCI any more.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:16 am

This is one of the frustrating parts of BA IT. Plenty of other carriers allow you to change seats multiple times whilst OLCI is still open, even if you have printed/downloaded multiple BPs. Particularly handy on services where carriers use versions of TS and that you hold low/no status, where seat availability changes almost hourly.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A friend's firm has changed their travel to IAH to United (Y) after too many staff complained about BA. They can apparently change seats on the app right up to the time they board. This seems to be a great facility if correct
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Sorry, yes, you're correct. The US carriers generally do this really well. Change from your phone/kiosk as many times as you want before you board.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A friend's firm has changed their travel to IAH to United (Y) after too many staff complained about BA. They can apparently change seats on the app right up to the time they board. This seems to be a great facility if correct
Don't most other airlines offer this? I'm hardly an expert on lots of others, but on my occasional forays into other planes, I see this as standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.