Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by KARFA
One is loud but not serious, for the other you stop the car and run
Or in my case I stop the car because of an engine fire and my wife legs it leaving me in the car
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
...and nobody here definitively knows which of these it actually was, do they ?
Indeed, virtually nothing known about what happened but the usual rush to judgement.
Greenpen likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm sure an expert will be along to inform us that a BA engine explosion/incident equates to cost cutting.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
@ rapidex - Would an engine surge on the 747 cause any flame out? Just curious as always!
A minor surge could just be a bang and little more than a hiccup,to a more serious event which could indeed cause a flame out.

I would imagine an ORD-LHR flight would be over max landing weight,which leads to other choices.The aircraft will need to loose weight or perform an overweight landing.There are 2 ways to loose weight,essentially fuel,burn it or dump it.If flames visible are continuing,then dumping is perhaps not a great option.

A surge would not normally set off the engine fire warnings,so the crew would have a reasonable amount of time to look at the various options.I would have every confidence in BA pilots to assess and confront the situation in a knowledgeable and skillful way.^
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Or in my case I stop the car because of an engine fire and my wife legs it leaving me in the car
Whereas mrs rapidex would grab her jerry can of petrol and look foreward to being a widow.
stewaran and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thank you very much rapidex ^
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you are making my point about reliability of witness statements in helping understand what has happened.

Anyway, as noted not very serious at all.
I think this argument needs to be nuanced. To me, a witness is reliable if they are properly restating what they saw. The problem lies in the interpretation of what they saw. It is the interpretation that is unreliable rather than the witnesses in this case.

This is not to say that witness statements are inherently reliable. They tend not to be. Too often, we unconsciously edit our memories to what we believe happened rather than "record" what actually happened.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
But the effects are the same and can be dramatic: surge often leads to a loud bang, flames emissions and aircraft banking on the side of the affected engine. All consistent with the witness statements.
I have seen several, all be it on an L1011 (RB211). Flames up to 40 feet in length.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by vibrex
I have seen several, all be it on an L1011 (RB211). Flames up to 40 feet in length.
Often on a crosswind take off.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
All I will say is that I suspect those on board don't care about the exact nature of the issue - for them it was probably quite frightening. Same for the crew - whilst trained for, not exactly just another day in the office. At best it presumably will involve some paperwork, some pissed off passengers and an extra night away from home. For those on the ground, they probably thought they knew what they saw. For a compressor stall, it's quite possible for some "flames" to be coming out the back of the engine. Again, non-normal.
vibrex and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: ba exec club
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
All I will say is that I suspect those on board don't care about the exact nature of the issue - for them it was probably quite frightening. Same for the crew - whilst trained for, not exactly just another day in the office. At best it presumably will involve some paperwork, some pissed off passengers and an extra night away from home. For those on the ground, they probably thought they knew what they saw. For a compressor stall, it's quite possible for some "flames" to be coming out the back of the engine. Again, non-normal.
That's certainly the way my wife felt about it. She was on the flight, in Club World on the upper deck. She heard a loud bang and further smaller bangs that continued for 10-15 seconds after the original noise. The plane shuddered but didnt seem to experience any immediate significant change in direction or altitude. Flames could be seen coming from the malfunctioning engine, and a smell of burning was in the cabin. The plane returned to ORD, circled to dump fuel and landed safely. One passenger required emergency medical attention upon landing. We're going back to ORD to try again this evening.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by rapidex
Often on a crosswind take off.
Quite possibly. Though the last two (same engine) were due to a tech issue. The noise was akin to an explosion.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
5th engine ferries are rather rare nowadays.Its just easier to push an engine onto the main deck cargo hold.I'm sure Cargolux have a regular ORD service.An engine and all the bits would only be about 25% of the payload.
They still occur: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/h...wing-of-a-747/

747 engines can be moved around fairly easily. When Swiss had a nearly-new 777 engine go bang in February, it had to set down at YFB. Swiss had to charter an An-124 to bring in the replacement, and built a temporary (heated) igloo around the engine to allow it to be swapped out, as there isn't a hangar at the airport big enough to house a 777. Took about a week.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by njwalsh
That's certainly the way my wife felt about it. She was on the flight, in Club World on the upper deck. She heard a loud bang and further smaller bangs that continued for 10-15 seconds after the original noise. The plane shuddered but didnt seem to experience any immediate significant change in direction or altitude. Flames could be seen coming from the malfunctioning engine, and a smell of burning was in the cabin. The plane returned to ORD, circled to dump fuel and landed safely. One passenger required emergency medical attention upon landing. We're going back to ORD to try again this evening.
Yes I agree,very unsettling for the passengers,especially for those who are nervous flyers.And once safely back on the ground the inconvenience for crew and passengers alike come to the fore,with missed special events etc.

We are now on page 3 of this thread,and no one has mentioned EU261 yet.Flyertalkers are slipping.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by chucko
They still occur: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/h...wing-of-a-747/

747 engines can be moved around fairly easily. When Swiss had a nearly-new 777 engine go bang in February, it had to set down at YFB. Swiss had to charter an An-124 to bring in the replacement, and built a temporary (heated) igloo around the engine to allow it to be swapped out, as there isn't a hangar at the airport big enough to house a 777. Took about a week.
That Qantas event was 1 in about 5 years.The 777 is a bigger problem.Single engine ferries are not permitted and the diameter of the engines is somewhat larger,so precluding carriage on a main deck freighter,apart from an An-124.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.