Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold

I just woke up to some text messages from a friend in Chicago saying that a BA 747 suffered an engine failure that was heard as an explosion by people on the ground. Allegedly, flames were visible from the aircraft. The flight returned to ORD. I didn't see anything posted here, however.

Last edited by Nicksta; Sep 4, 2017 at 8:26 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
[/LIST]
Originally Posted by Nicksta
I just woke up to some text messages from a friend Ina Chicago saying that a BA 747 suffered an engine failure that was heard as an explosion by people in the ground. Allegedly, flames were visible from the aircraft. The flight returned to ORD. I didn't see anything posted here, however.
I think it's too soon to see what went on there as it's no major emergency. Nothing on avherald.com
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Nothing on the Operational Dashboard either about specifics but it does say BNLY returned to ORD and subsequently cancelled
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Nothing on the Operational Dashboard either about specifics but it does say BNLY returned to ORD and subsequently cancelled
what is the Operational Dashboard?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Local media story about the incident now posted:

http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2017/09/british-airways-engine-fire-witnesses-in-arlington-heights-report-explosion-engine-fire-from-boeing-747/
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
From the Dashboard.
Overnight we saw NLY optg BA294/03 ORD-LHR carry out an airborne return back to ORD after suffering a No2 engine surge in the climb out of ORD. BA294 nightstop ORD and NLY AOG ORD with a work party being organised to go to ORD to start the aircraft recovery process.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
An engine surge is not an engine fire. Not really as dramatic as the fire/explosion title/comments.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Wow. Was originally booked on that flight but my AA feeder flight from PDX had a time change so I rerouted via SEA. Glad I did now!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
An engine surge is not an engine fire. Not really as dramatic as the fire/explosion title/comments.
The reporters notes from witnesses used in the article:

Saw flames, then heard a large boom

Saw the plane angling down then level off

Saw flames coming from the engine

Saw flames coming from engine number two

Saw a lot of smoke coming from the plane

Saw plane make an immediate turn right toward Lake Michigan

Clearly on fire, spitting flames out of the front of the engine

Traveling north with orange flame coming out of rear of inboard engine on left side

Flame extinguished before lost site of plane in distance
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Nicksta
The reporters notes from witnesses used in the article:

Saw flames, then heard a large boom

Saw the plane angling down then level off

Saw flames coming from the engine

Saw flames coming from engine number two

Saw a lot of smoke coming from the plane

Saw plane make an immediate turn right toward Lake Michigan

Clearly on fire, spitting flames out of the front of the engine

Traveling north with orange flame coming out of rear of inboard engine on left side

Flame extinguished before lost site of plane in distance
Oh well it must be true then
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA
But the effects are the same and can be dramatic: surge often leads to a loud bang, flames emissions and aircraft banking on the side of the affected engine. All consistent with the witness statements.
vibrex and SaraJH like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Can I help you
From the Dashboard.
Overnight we saw NLY optg BA294/03 ORD-LHR carry out an airborne return back to ORD after suffering a No2 engine surge in the climb out of ORD. BA294 nightstop ORD and NLY AOG ORD with a work party being organised to go to ORD to start the aircraft recovery process.
For BA to send a team "to start the aircraft recovery process" sounds bad to me.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
But the effects are the same and can be dramatic: surge often leads to a loud bang, flames emissions and aircraft banking on the side of the affected engine. All consistent with the witness statements.
It is still not an engine fire/explosion.

Without wishing to start going down a tangent, witness statements in these types of scenarios are usually quite unreliable.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For BA to send a team "to start the aircraft recovery process" sounds bad to me.
A 747 can still take off with 3 engines. A specially qualified "3 engine ferry" team will bring the aircraft back to London empty most probably once its been assessed.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:30 am

Classic engine stall, the word explosion needs to be removed from the thread title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.