FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1865043-ba-294-ord-lhr-returns-ord-after-engine-incident.html)

Nicksta Sep 4, 2017 7:52 am

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

I just woke up to some text messages from a friend in Chicago saying that a BA 747 suffered an engine failure that was heard as an explosion by people on the ground. Allegedly, flames were visible from the aircraft. The flight returned to ORD. I didn't see anything posted here, however.

ahmetdouas Sep 4, 2017 7:54 am

[/LIST]

Originally Posted by Nicksta (Post 28774508)
I just woke up to some text messages from a friend Ina Chicago saying that a BA 747 suffered an engine failure that was heard as an explosion by people in the ground. Allegedly, flames were visible from the aircraft. The flight returned to ORD. I didn't see anything posted here, however.

I think it's too soon to see what went on there as it's no major emergency. Nothing on avherald.com

A P Yu Sep 4, 2017 7:56 am

Nothing on the Operational Dashboard either about specifics but it does say BNLY returned to ORD and subsequently cancelled

Takiteasy Sep 4, 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 28774516)
Nothing on the Operational Dashboard either about specifics but it does say BNLY returned to ORD and subsequently cancelled

what is the Operational Dashboard?

Nicksta Sep 4, 2017 8:02 am

Local media story about the incident now posted:

http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/2017/09/british-airways-engine-fire-witnesses-in-arlington-heights-report-explosion-engine-fire-from-boeing-747/

Can I help you Sep 4, 2017 8:04 am

From the Dashboard.
Overnight we saw NLY optg BA294/03 ORD-LHR carry out an airborne return back to ORD after suffering a No2 engine surge in the climb out of ORD. BA294 nightstop ORD and NLY AOG ORD with a work party being organised to go to ORD to start the aircraft recovery process.

KARFA Sep 4, 2017 8:06 am

An engine surge is not an engine fire. Not really as dramatic as the fire/explosion title/comments.

Cymro Sep 4, 2017 8:08 am

Wow. Was originally booked on that flight but my AA feeder flight from PDX had a time change so I rerouted via SEA. Glad I did now!

Nicksta Sep 4, 2017 8:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28774563)
An engine surge is not an engine fire. Not really as dramatic as the fire/explosion title/comments.

The reporters notes from witnesses used in the article:

Saw flames, then heard a large boom

Saw the plane angling down then level off

Saw flames coming from the engine

Saw flames coming from engine number two

Saw a lot of smoke coming from the plane

Saw plane make an immediate turn right toward Lake Michigan

Clearly on fire, spitting flames out of the front of the engine

Traveling north with orange flame coming out of rear of inboard engine on left side

Flame extinguished before lost site of plane in distance

KARFA Sep 4, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Nicksta (Post 28774589)
The reporters notes from witnesses used in the article:

Saw flames, then heard a large boom

Saw the plane angling down then level off

Saw flames coming from the engine

Saw flames coming from engine number two

Saw a lot of smoke coming from the plane

Saw plane make an immediate turn right toward Lake Michigan

Clearly on fire, spitting flames out of the front of the engine

Traveling north with orange flame coming out of rear of inboard engine on left side

Flame extinguished before lost site of plane in distance

Oh well it must be true then ;)

Takiteasy Sep 4, 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28774563)

But the effects are the same and can be dramatic: surge often leads to a loud bang, flames emissions and aircraft banking on the side of the affected engine. All consistent with the witness statements.

MSPeconomist Sep 4, 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 28774553)
From the Dashboard.
Overnight we saw NLY optg BA294/03 ORD-LHR carry out an airborne return back to ORD after suffering a No2 engine surge in the climb out of ORD. BA294 nightstop ORD and NLY AOG ORD with a work party being organised to go to ORD to start the aircraft recovery process.

For BA to send a team "to start the aircraft recovery process" sounds bad to me.

KARFA Sep 4, 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 28774618)
But the effects are the same and can be dramatic: surge often leads to a loud bang, flames emissions and aircraft banking on the side of the affected engine. All consistent with the witness statements.

It is still not an engine fire/explosion.

Without wishing to start going down a tangent, witness statements in these types of scenarios are usually quite unreliable.

BApilotinsider Sep 4, 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28774627)
For BA to send a team "to start the aircraft recovery process" sounds bad to me.

A 747 can still take off with 3 engines. A specially qualified "3 engine ferry" team will bring the aircraft back to London empty most probably once its been assessed.

worldtrav Sep 4, 2017 8:30 am

Classic engine stall, the word explosion needs to be removed from the thread title.