Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I decided to try QR for my last London trip instead of my regular BA31/32 because of a sale fare (18,000 HKD, less than half the price of BA/CX/VS.) I found the connection to be quick and painless, and the lounges are fantastic, but the extra 5-6 hours each way took a toll on my short trip. I would do it again for the same fare, but under normal circumstances I will stick with BA for the direct flight. The delicious Arabic mezze is not worth the extra jet lag. Also, I have to agree with the 'foot coffin' comments. The CW seat is certainly lacking, but I never bang my knees while shifting in my sleep. You can't beat the privacy of the window seat either, save for the awkward neighbour face off for the first 10 minutes.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by rocketship87
I decided to try QR for my last London trip instead of my regular BA31/32 because of a sale fare (18,000 HKD, less than half the price of BA/CX/VS.) I found the connection to be quick and painless, and the lounges are fantastic, but the extra 5-6 hours each way took a toll on my short trip. I would do it again for the same fare, but under normal circumstances I will stick with BA for the direct flight. The delicious Arabic mezze is not worth the extra jet lag. Also, I have to agree with the 'foot coffin' comments. The CW seat is certainly lacking, but I never bang my knees while shifting in my sleep. You can't beat the privacy of the window seat either, save for the awkward neighbour face off for the first 10 minutes.
Certainly if you are able to easily take advantage of direct flights to the many destinations BA serve around the world the shorter journey time will be a major factor in many people's choice. If you aren't in that position and need to connect to a BA flight (particulary on the way home) then much less so.

BA would be higher on my list if a direct flight was available but I acknowledge that isn't likely to happen.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The only issue with the CW seat in my opinion is the lack of storage. I'd like a shelf to place my phone and glasses when sleeping which isn't directly above me. I usually put my glasses on the arm rest and phone in the bin underneath the seat. Apart from that it's a great seat.
BrianDromey likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
At the end of the day you pays yer money and you makes yer choices. I will continue to fly BA, with occasional sojourns to other airlines as appropriate. I can sleep in the CW seat well enough which is the main priority. Food is ok, service I have found is usually better than OK, and while I disagree that BA have a 'monopoly' at LHR, the fact is that LHR is the main hub for what is a large national carrier, so what they do have is a sh*tload of routes.

Additionally, a large proportion of my flying is on behalf of, and paid for by, my employer. Who use OW airlines relatively exclusively. So I am always going to be somewhat locked into that reward programme and therefore it makes sense.

These are, at the end of the day, very much first world problems.
HIDDY and argonath like this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Calchas
You've got to start sitting upstairs
Sadly, mon ami, we don't seem to be flying 744 routes these days. This does, of course, enable others to enjoy the space/storage/shelving at 63A/B

Almost endless BA 777 (yeuch), relieved occasionally by AA 332
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jday
The only issue with the CW seat in my opinion is the lack of storage. I'd like a shelf to place my phone and glasses when sleeping which isn't directly above me. I usually put my glasses on the arm rest and phone in the bin underneath the seat. Apart from that it's a great seat.
I agree, there aren't many nooks and crannies that can be used for the plethora of things one might need. I think the drawer works well for shoes/laptops, its actually the smaller, more fragile things like glasses, phones, etc that are the problem. Seemingly BA know this, as indicated by the announcements not to move your seat should a phone, etc make its way into the seat.

The blogs seem to be very keen on the Apex suite at the moment. Looking at it, I don't see a lot more storage around the seat compared to NGCW, but there is all-aisle access. I think the next seat will be a hybrid of an Apex and NGCW. I do envisage BA keeping the Yin-Yag layout, but staggering it, to allow all-aisle access. I think it's possible to keep most of the current density, as there is a lot of wasted space around the bulkheads, which could be better used.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm a very inexpert premium flyer (been fortunate to score some chance BA WTP to CW OpUps from ORD-LHR and NRT-LHR, in the distant past, and one from Virgin PEY to Upper from PVG; and have done a few CW redemptions plus a recent CX paid trip in J to Japan via HKG, including the fabled Gatwick A350).

I'm therefore lucky perhaps in that my experiences (BA, Virgin and CX only) don't suffer by comparison to QR, etc. But I have to say that although the CX A350 J flight was a great experience I did actually miss my previous Japan experience with BA CW return to Tokyo. For a couple, for such a long flight the only maritally diplomatic choice with the CX reverse herring-bone is a middle pair, so no windows, and slightly limited interaction even then. I much preferred hogging the window seat of a pair in CW - I got my views, we could eat dinner 'together', and I liked the privacy; the whole 'stepping over legs' thing really doesn't bother me at all. I do wonder if some of the aggravation about this last is just a psychic disturbance thing where people just resent having to acknowledge that a stranger's ankles are connected to 'their' cubicle space by a bit of empty air rather than a partition. I can't believe it's physically that much of a problem.

The one bit I really don't like in CW is the middle pair - even travelling as a couple, being hemmed in on all sides is just too claustrophobic.

Anyway my point is, heretical though it may be, for a couples leisure trip I preferred BA CW to Tokyo, to the CX J even with the lucky combination of the A350 for LGW-HKG and a long-haul J cabin for the regional HKG-HND leg.

The bit I really did enjoy about the latter, was the hopping around lounges (the whole trip was LGW-HKG-HND, then NRT-HKG-LHR ... so got to try LGW BA South, CX Bridge, Pier, Wing and JL Sakura on one trip! ... but I digress).

I fully accept that if travelling solo and with a window seat in CX, it might have been very different... but just making the point that there are valid and good reasons pro-CW, and some of us do enjoy it. Obviously I'm preaching to the converted in this forum...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-argument.html
T8191 and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by GCab

the whole 'stepping over legs' thing really doesn't bother me at all. I do wonder if some of the aggravation about this last is just a psychic disturbance thing where people just resent having to acknowledge that a stranger's ankles are connected to 'their' cubicle space by a bit of empty air rather than a partition. I can't believe it's physically that much of a problem.
As the years go by you may encounter the 'triple whammy' of deteroiration in eyesight and agility combined with an increase in the frequency of the requirement to 'use the facilities'. You may then also find a need to amend your view.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
As the years go by you may encounter the 'triple whammy' of deteroiration in eyesight and agility combined with an increase in the frequency of the requirement to 'use the facilities'. You may then also find a need to amend your view.
Thank you for identifying the facts of life to the younger members
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
younger folks just don't understand why we old geezers treasure direct access to the aisle(and lavatories)....
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by weero
It may not be an exhaustive enough comparison though. Finnair's seat - as muc as I like Finnair overall - is one of the most uncomfortable seats, I have ever enjoyed. There is no real 'lounging' position and you cannot work properly in that seat. It's only for seating upright and eating or then sleeping.
I flew BA PE right after flying AY J and I'd prefer the BA product in nearly all aspects with the exception of sleeping. Even the T5 transfer was bearable this time.
I actually found it very uncomfortable for sleeping in particular
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
There is no way I would choose to fly to Australia in BA J with its dowdy old CW cubicles, horrific dividers, indifferent food and terrible entertainment system. It's just a NO. I fly CW all the time back and forth from the US, but really don't enjoy it - and prefer FIRST or AA when I can get them.

I have flown CW once or twice to and from Australia, but always preferred Qantas in the SIN days.

Now it would be Qatar every time.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On those routes, HighLife, I can see your perspective. Other routes, such as TATL, present different challenges

However, 'dowdy', 'horrific' 'indifferent' and 'terrible' are best reserved for the UK Gutter Press. Try doing Australia in Y, and report back with a more balanced vocabulary
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by T8191
On those routes, HighLife, I can see your perspective. Other routes, such as TATL, present different challenges

However, 'dowdy', 'horrific' 'indifferent' and 'terrible' are best reserved for the UK Gutter Press. Try doing Australia in Y, and report back with a more balanced vocabulary
I am comparing J with J. Of course economy is horrible... it is supposed to be

Full disclosure - I find myself in HKG this weekend with my two children (4 and 6) and having all flown out in Qatar J, due to a ticketing problem I am having to put my six y.o. son up front in business and travel with my 4 year old daughter all the way back in economy tomorrow night / monday morning to get them to school.

It will reawaken some bad memories, I'm sure!

That said, it is such rare a joy to be able to travel with my beautiful and lovely kids, that I don't actually care.

I should also add that I have been too busy to pay attention to BA's J improvements and just glanced at CWS's photos. They look good.

I flew DEN-LHR in CW two weeks ago and there was nothing new, but I fly LHR-YYZ on thursday later this week (on a 789 I think) and I hope to see some of these improvements...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.