FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1864550-ba-business-class-why-would-anyone-choose-8-across.html)

mikem004 Sep 1, 2017 2:41 am

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

A return trip to Australia in economy has prompted me to research business class options for future long-haul flights.

The BA Club World offering does not instantly appeal. They have 8 across where other airlines have 6, or 4.

Of course, air miles, flight connections and company policy will impact on passengers decision to fly BA business.
But at the moment, I can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose to fly BA business class from LHR when other options are available.

Padmeister Sep 1, 2017 2:44 am

oh god here we go again :(

Scallywag72 Sep 1, 2017 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister (Post 28763467)
oh god here we go again :(

Indeed but answering the OP, you wouldn't! All things being equal, choosing BA's Club World over the likes of Qatar Airways etc. is simply not logical IMHO.

I have tried them all in Business and I personally find Qatar's A380s very compelling indeed. They took Emirates' idea of the bar at the back and refined it, making it bigger and adding a comfy sofa. And I don't drink alcohol. Just creates a really nice atmosphere. The rest we all well know. In-flight entertainment is fantastic and food good.

simons1 Sep 1, 2017 2:50 am

Originally Posted by mikem004 (Post 28763462)
A return trip to Australia in economy has prompted me to research business class options for future long-haul flights.

The BA Club World offering does not instantly appeal. They have 8 across where other airlines have 6, or 4.

Of course, air miles, flight connections and company policy will impact on passengers decision to fly BA business.
But at the moment, I can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose to fly BA business class from LHR when other options are available.

There are many other threads on this.

It isn't really 4 or 8 across, it just depends on whether you like 4 across with the foot coffins or 8 across with the ying/yang.

I think when you look at it 8 seats take up more or less the same floor space either way. Personally I think direct aisle access is a must these days but each to their own.

cpdc1030 Sep 1, 2017 2:55 am

I think the closest comparison is JL Business class which is 2-3-2, and offset, rather than yin-yang. The seats all have direct aisle access however. Comparing with 1-2-1 reverse herringbone just isn't valid.

V10 Sep 1, 2017 2:56 am

It'll be a massive amount better than doing the trip to Australia in economy again, despite the negative points that you mention.

FlyerTalker39574 Sep 1, 2017 2:56 am

Yes fully research what you are getting for your money before booking.
Watch some of those video reviews on YouTube, I like Dennis Bunnik.

mikeday1983 Sep 1, 2017 2:57 am

I've mentioned before in other threads, the ying/yang design is really effective at providing space in an 8 across config. Compared to the J flights I've done with 6 and 4, the difference doesn't equate to the increased density. Window seat is pretty private too. Not many better when travelling as a couple either (middle seats)

UKtravelbear Sep 1, 2017 2:59 am

BA is not the only airlines to have 8 across in Business.

UA also has it on some of of its planes e.g.

747-400

777-200

it also has 5 across (2-1-2) on its 767-300/400ER and 6(2-2-2) on its 787s

londonsean69 Sep 1, 2017 3:01 am

Amex 2-4-1 is the only reason I use BA business class. If paying, then I try to use Qatar ex-EU.

N1120A Sep 1, 2017 3:15 am

Whenever BA gets a new seat, they would probably be well served by something like UA's new Polaris seats. They preserve density, but give full access.

ajeleonard Sep 1, 2017 3:17 am

I'm no defender of BA's product. but it's overly simplistic just to say 8 across, 7 across, 6 across and infer than one is automatically better than the other. VS had 3 across and it certainly isn't one of the better seats.

mikem004 Sep 1, 2017 3:24 am

Sorry to raise a topic which has been done to death.

Some strange replies, though.
BA seat width in business is 20 inches, AA is 26 inches.
And a less congested business cabin *surely* is a better experience. At the very least, you will served quicker!
Just walking through a BA business cabin after a long-haul flight, it looks very untidy and congested.

FlyerTalker39574 Sep 1, 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 28763522)
.... it's overly simplistic just to say 8 across, 7 across, 6 across and infer than one is automatically better than the other.....

Exactly, the comparison is the same aircraft type and model and the number of seats in the same cabin section.

windowontheAside Sep 1, 2017 3:30 am

I guess I don't really get the recurring interest in cabin density.

I care about seat size, personal space and privacy. A CW window seat scores really well on one of those, and is OK on the other two IMHO. Once I'm esconced in my seat, it really makes no difference to me if there are 8 across, 4 across or any other combination.

I know it matters to a lot of folk, but I guess I'm not one of them.