Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Perhaps "oh god here we go again" would be better directed at the same old regulars who keep butting into other peoples threads with the same old off-topic interruptions ?
To be fair...it wasn't until Post 3 that Qatar Airways excellence over BA was mentioned.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
1. I can sleep in most places, if it is flat.
2. I live near LHR
3. I have no desire to visit shopping malls or bars/restaurants in the ME, no matter how good. (Been there, got the T shirt).
4. BA have a virtual monopoly at LHR.
5. BA are about the same price as the rest of them.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
What's the matched wine to go with the twix? Has it been curated appropriately?
I like Coke with my Twix, especially westbound.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
4. BA have a virtual monopoly at LHR.
5. BA are about the same price as the rest of them.
Those last two points are rubbish and you know it.

There was the analysis done on here very recently about how much of a monopoly BA had at LHR and the answer was very few routes didn't have competition. Dominant yes - monopoly (even virtual monopoly) no way.

Measuring BA's grip on London Heathrow

BA really only have a monopoly if you want to stick in OneWorld.

There are some significant price differences out there too. Picking a random trip - LHR to CDG next week out on Monday, back on Thursday. AF pricing up at 124, BA at 251. BA will be cheaper sometimes and more expensive sometimes, but to argue it's all the same is rubbish.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I choose BA Club World primarily for the route. Going to Europe, the nonstop PHX-LHR is hard to beat - Leaves after work, and no connection inside the US means I get 10+ hours in a lay flat seat

Other things that I like about CW are:
* Aisle seats feel more spacious than others (i value that over privacy)
* Facing my wife with the partition down facilitates conversation, especially compared to the 1-2-1 seats on other airlines since even the "2" often means our heads are separated
* Pricing: BA runs CW sales for $2600-$3000 (sometimes via AA vacations)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'd be happier with the BA CW seat if there was anywhere to put anything without be imprisoned by deploying the meal table.

Spectacles, Kindle, water bottle, TR note-book and pen, pocket camera ... where are they supposed to go? Oh, yes, in the bloody drawer that you can't access if the meal table is deployed!

Sorry, but the practicalities of that seat just annoy me every single time I sit in one.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
I'd be happier with the BA CW seat if there was anywhere to put anything without be imprisoned by deploying the meal table.

Spectacles, Kindle, water bottle, TR note-book and pen, pocket camera ... where are they supposed to go? Oh, yes, in the bloody drawer that you can't access if the meal table is deployed!

Sorry, but the practicalities of that seat just annoy me every single time I sit in one.
I think this is what it comes down to as to whether people find it acceptable (and even preferable) or not.

As someone who thinks its fine and totally fit for purpose, I have absolutely no need to ever have anything out.

My phone acts as a camera and Kindle/ Telly if desired and fits easily in my pocket, otherwise there is nothing I need to have access to in the seat. A water bottle fits along side you on the arm rest when sleeping and that's it.

Cocooned away until 20 mins till landing, unlike on AA where they shake you awake with about an hour to go to get the headphones back.

If you need a lot of stuff with you, the CW seat is a pain
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've got to start sitting upstairs
Jimmie76 and JAXBA like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: GGL
Spectacles, Kindle, water bottle, TR note-book and pen, pocket camera ...
Bears.
Pascoe likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:34 pm

Oh, yes, in the bloody drawer that you can't access if the meal table is deployed!

I have only flown BA CW twice in the last year. I would NEVER put anything in that filthy, disgusting, disease/germ-infested drawer. I get the feeling that not all BA cleaning crew open the draws up and clean, let alone disinfect, the insides.

- end of rant.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I have only flown BA CW twice in the last year. I would NEVER put anything in that filthy, disgusting, disease/germ-infested drawer. I get the feeling that not all BA cleaning crew open the draws up and clean, let alone disinfect, the insides.

- end of rant.
My shoes often go in it so probably a good plan
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
My shoes often go in it so probably a good plan
I've found unopened small snacks in the drawers...

Is it possible that not everybody know the drawer is really meant for shoes and maybe socks?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF P1, VA Velocity, Etihad P, IHG SPE Amb, Hyatt Glob
To give my take on the OP's question quite simply I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would actively choose CW. Terrible seats, service, food and the chaos of LHR just all adds up to a awful experience. I've been actively avoiding LHR for some time anyhow much preferring to use LCY as entry/exit point (even if it means a extra stop which it almost always does) but the idea of LHR combined with well ...BA anything really just makes me feel sick. BA in my view are basically barely above a budget carrier ( don't get me started on BA F which is noticeably worse then J on many other carriers ).
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drpopper
To give my take on the OP's question quite simply I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would actively choose CW. Terrible seats, service, food and the chaos of LHR just all adds up to a awful experience. I've been actively avoiding LHR for some time anyhow much preferring to use LCY as entry/exit point (even if it means a extra stop which it almost always does) but the idea of LHR combined with well ...BA anything really just makes me feel sick. BA in my view are basically barely above a budget carrier ( don't get me started on BA F which is noticeably worse then J on many other carriers ).
But apart from the above issues you are a regular on BA?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mikebg
It's very interesting, but I have tried a number of different lie flat business class seats, including the newest direct aisle ones (Finnair's new A350s) and I just find the BA CW seat the most comfortable...
It may not be an exhaustive enough comparison though. Finnair's seat - as muc as I like Finnair overall - is one of the most uncomfortable seats, I have ever enjoyed. There is no real 'lounging' position and you cannot work properly in that seat. It's only for seating upright and eating or then sleeping.
I flew BA PE right after flying AY J and I'd prefer the BA product in nearly all aspects with the exception of sleeping. Even the T5 transfer was bearable this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.