Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA business class: why would anyone choose 8 across?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I guess I don't really get the recurring interest in cabin density.

I care about seat size, personal space and privacy. A CW window seat scores really well on one of those, and is OK on the other two IMHO. Once I'm esconced in my seat, it really makes no difference to me if there are 8 across, 4 across or any other combination.

I know it matters to a lot of folk, but I guess I'm not one of them.
Surely you see how seat size (which you care about) and cabin density (which you don't) are inversely proportional? The JL config, which has 1 fewer seat per row, has 25% more width per seat.

CW is noncompetitive if you aren't beholden to BA. If you are, then them's the breaks.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Read this thread and then remembered 800 children died from drinking dirty water today. Puts things into perspective for me. Sorry I shouldn't intervene but sometimes the worries on here irritate me.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I'm only ever thinking of myself in these situations, some/most people will have different opinions/requirements/preferences.
Everyone should have those words in their FT signature.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Read this thread and then remembered 800 children died from drinking dirty water today. Puts things into perspective for me. Sorry I shouldn't intervene but sometimes the worries on here irritate me.
Whilst that is very sad, it has nothing at all to do with the subject being discussed.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
These are just some of the innumerable variables that inevitably lead to 'statements of the absolute'
theyre the exact opposite, as they both clearly indicate that it's our own personal preference, as opposed to the 'the seat is better as there's only 4 across'
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Since when have there been Twix on board. I thought it was only Cadbury produced by those lying b*stards at Mondelez.

Damn - caught out by the details police. Twix was a made up example. There. I said it.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Damn - caught out by the details police. Twix was a made up example. There. I said it.
Far rather have Nestlé and Mars on board.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
oh god here we go again
Just a reminder, if a topic doesn't meet with one's approval, it's best just to pass on quietly by rather than jump on to an low-post FT member like this.

Perhaps "oh god here we go again" would be better directed at the same old regulars who keep butting into other peoples threads with the same old off-topic interruptions ?
mrow and mikeyfly like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Cram eight chairs into your living room.
Take out four and rearrange the furniture. It's a better environment, isn't it?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikem004
Rather depends whether your living room stays the same size or not. Counting total number of seats between doors on the same aircraft operated by BA and other carriers doesn't make BA seem quite as bad as you suggest. Not industry leading, for sure. But not double the number of seats.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:24 am

Not if you have 5 guests

As someone wisely pointed out above anyway, your assumptions are incorrect it's actually 4 chairs v 5
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am not so hung up on eight across seating as I am the seat itself and the setup. I flew UA for several years and they basically had a very cramped layout in an eight across setup but a decent seat in my opinion and while cramped I thought it was function, havent tried their new setup yet. My issues with the BA seat is that it is just an awkward setup and hate the aisle seat seems so exposed, feel like I am sitting in the aisle to be honest. Of course space isnt great either. It is not my top choice for sure but it still beats economy!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:27 am

If you seriously think that is how it works, good luck to you.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Its not 8 across. Its 4. Feet overlap with heads, just like on many international business class seats, except with BA your feet aren't in a shoebox. Or worse, a shared shoebox, like on LH.

You've got to remember that BA's Club World seat was the worlds first horizontal, flat business class seat. That was 2000. Its taken 15+ years for that product to become dated. There are still plenty of slopey business class seats out there, SQ still fly them on flights up to 6 hours, CX have had multiple goes until they found the Cirrus seat. Club World is still very competitive, if you are a side sleep it may still be unsurpassed. The Qatar Airways Q Suite seems like the next revolutionary seat in business class.

The market has decided that all-aisle access is the benchmark for Business Class. Club World cannot deliver that at present. But BA will have to deliver a truly class leading business class seat to surpass the current club world design. All seats require compromise, I don't want my feet in a shoebox and I would like aisle access, I think it can be done with a variant of the current design, keeping the current density, which is also desirable - I don't want to be priced out of CW, or have the number of redemption seats reduced.

Even if you consider CW 8 abreast, I can assure you Id much rather the current seat to WT or even WT+. I'll hope over the OH's legs - no bother.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:47 am

You'd assume it would potentially raise fares in other classes too

If BA still want to stick 86 CW seats on a plane but it's going to take up 25% more room that's a lot of WT/ WT+ space gone.

We'll paying more if we want to fly direct from LHR whenever BA make a change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.