Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA still have Korean speaking cabin crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do BA still have Korean speaking cabin crew?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
They 'have' to fly BA as they 'must' fly back at the same time as their other daughter who has already booked BA.

noubliepas sums up the Korean position on flying non-Korean carriers - basically they rather wouldn't, even if BA were the best airline in the world. As it is, I've never met anyone from Korea who is a BA fan, they do rate Finnair a bit though.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, hopefully there will be some Korean crew but I'll let them know not to expet it.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:05 pm

Even if the crew is a little short of individuals who speak Korean, I am quite confident that there will be other passengers on the plane who speak both Korean and English who would be willing to assist your parents if necessary. The crew is not the only resource available to your parents.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nordic
Could Finnair be an option? Always 2-4 Seoul-based cabin crew, Korean food and the most important signs at Helsinki airport are also in Korean (e.g. how to find the transfer security).
Finnair is a reasonable option. I'm flying with them on Tuesday both flights on A350. Interestingly, I found this bit of overzealous honesty on their preorder menu:

Aus_Mal, Stez, LTN Phobia and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Finnair is a reasonable option. I'm flying with them on Tuesday both flights on A350. Interestingly, I found this bit of overzealous honesty on their preorder menu:
Do you prefer reindeer sushi?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Medium rare as for venison - and steak for that matter. Most game meat is chewy if overcooked - and the onboard reindeer matches that description well.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:41 am

Do MF crew rated with certain language skills - and thus scheduled on certain routes - receive any additional payments, or are they paid just as their colleagues?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I do not believe so.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
You should try reindeer carpaccio though. Very nice indeed. Served in Scandinavia and in Finland.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:05 pm

The last Seoul I did went with 7 cabin crew instead of 8 due to industrial action, and without any Korean speakers. Normally there would be one or two per flight.

As for Korean food, I'm not sure. All I know is there's a large supply of cup noodles in the rear galley which always generates a huge queue...

Last edited by wingtip428; Oct 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Do MF crew rated with certain language skills - and thus scheduled on certain routes - receive any additional payments, or are they paid just as their colleagues?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I use to do this route once a quarter when I lived in London. BA has UK based Korean speaking staff - they usually have 1/2 korean speaking staff in CE and varying degree in PE/Economy but I usually saw 3/4 Korean speaking staff serving in PE/E (not shockingly most of them live in New Malden/Kingston - but this going off topic) and they have korean options in all cabins (CE, PE and E).

Just out of curiosity why BA? As a Korean, I much rather fly OZ and KE but if its due to connections (within the UK) - even QR and Emirates might be a better option (i know there is a stop over)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I use to do this route once a quarter when I lived in London. BA has UK based Korean speaking staff - they usually have 1/2 korean speaking staff in CE and varying degree in PE/Economy but I usually saw 3/4 Korean speaking staff serving in PE/E (not shockingly most of them live in New Malden/Kingston - but this going off topic) and they have korean options in all cabins (CE, PE and E).

Just out of curiosity why BA? As a Korean, I much rather fly OZ and KE but if its due to connections (within the UK) - even QR and Emirates might be a better option (i know there is a stop over)
Thanks for the comprehensive reply - fingers crossed there are a few Korean speaking crew, and New Malden would be the logical place for them to live.

We live near LHR so no connections required. The parents in law wanted to travel back to Korea on the same flight as my wife's sister, and as she had already booked BA, they opted to do the same. They would match rather be on KE!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
They 'have' to fly BA as they 'must' fly back at the same time as their other daughter who has already booked BA.

noubliepas sums up the Korean position on flying non-Korean carriers - basically they rather wouldn't, even if BA were the best airline in the world. As it is, I've never met anyone from Korea who is a BA fan, they do rate Finnair a bit though.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, hopefully there will be some Korean crew but I'll let them know not to expet it.
At least the language problem is solved on the return, assuming the daughter speaks Korean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.